Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Default Army Reserve

Ok, just a quick one to start with. Any one on here in the Army reserves? I have enlisted and would just like to hear from anyone in it. I have my you session/first interview next month so wouldn't mind finding out more info. Cheers.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

I was in the early 8o's did 4yrs, 17Batt RNSWR, pioneer PLT, play with all the good gear at the time, even did Kangaroo 85 or 87 i think it was when the Kiwi Helicopter fell from the sky. Those where the best days i ever had. Hope you enjoy yourself, IMO i think all 17-21 yr olds should do mandatory service for 3yrs, just might give them new found respect
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Ok mate. Cheers. Yer i thik anyone not working under the age of 21 should be enlisted.
Anyhow i'm turning 24 in a month so abit older start. I think the biggest test will be fittness. I have been running quite a bit lately though and ride my puchy to work everyday so well on the way. I can do the 15pushups no worries but struggle with 45situps. I have about 2months to get up to shape though.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I was a choco in the early 90's. Deakin University Company. I didn't think a lot of it, mainly due to the second rate NCO's we had. These days if you get into the right unit it may give you opportunities to serve overseas etc. If you like the Army, best to go regs. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate was in for about 4 years Got out last year, he enjoyed it when they went out on
Exercises and getting to Blow chit up LOL but got sick of all the B/S and spending every Tuesday night just doing pointless chit at the Depo.

He was trying to get into the North-West Patrol (I think it's called) in WA but it was taking too long so he got out. Says he liked his time in there but doubts he will go back.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Mate was in for about 4 years Got out last year, he enjoyed it when they went out on
Exercises and getting to Blow chit up LOL but got sick of all the B/S and spending every Tuesday night just doing pointless chit at the Depo.

He was trying to get into the North-West Patrol (I think it's called) in WA but it was taking too long so he got out. Says he liked his time in there but doubts he will go back.
Ok mate. Thanks for the reply. I'd be happy with 4years. I don't make alot of money and i am paying off a house so the money made will be for myself or extra on the house. Also i enjoy working on the trucks, maintaining them and have wanted to get my truck license and this is a good way to get it. I am aware you go away one weekend a month for an exercise but have no idea what they do tuesday nights?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

I take it that you live in Rockhampton you must have joined 42 RQR Suprort COY. I was in that unit when we first moved to Aust from the UK. It was 1979 that I enlisted. A lot of the NCOs at that time where Vietnam vets so you got to learn a lot. I still have my old slouch hat and badge.

I re-enlisted when I was 30, this time in the 4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse. This has to be one of the finest units in Australian military history but at the time I was in the then Government cut funds to the reserves and we where doing weekend without pay. The regiment then merged with 8/13th VMR and some of us (B Squadron) where made to swap our fine Prince of Wales's feathers for an LTD hub cap. This was not good for the regiment. Also all training courses where restricted so you couldn't advance quickly.

I loved that unit, PWLH. Some of the best times of my life. My Black Beret with Emu plumes has pride of place in my study.

Have fun. If its 42 RQR then you are in a fine infantry unit that goes back to the Boer War. Do they still have the lone piper when parade dismisses on Tuesday nights?

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Correct mate, it is the 42 RQR and it does seem like a fine unit.
From what i've heard, read and been told you do tuesday nights, one weekend a month, also i'm pretty sure they have one two hour personal fitness training one morning a week? If you want can you go for two, two hour sessions a week? I believe you get paid for being there the two hours also?
Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYGTHO
Ok mate. Thanks for the reply. I'd be happy with 4years. I don't make alot of money and i am paying off a house so the money made will be for myself or extra on the house. Also i enjoy working on the trucks, maintaining them and have wanted to get my truck license and this is a good way to get it. I am aware you go away one weekend a month for an exercise but have no idea what they do tuesday nights?
He was Infantry ( Marksman ), The one night a week was spent doing Drill, PT and other stuff around the Depo. Stuff you do in the army but as he said when you go in every Tuesday and do the same thing you loose the motivation to keep going. Thus why he was looking at the north-west patrol as it's functional with objectives not thumb in bum mind in neutral!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

You'll enjoy every minute of it, when i was in it was every tuesday night 1 weekend a month and 1 2week exercise a year, i was in Support company "Assult Pioneers first in last out" learnt alot about the use of explosives, the best was seeing what a cup of diesel and a bucket of nitrophile (fertilizer) does, also did a live company fireshoot at holsworthy range to the rest of 17 battalion that was when the SLR and M60's were still being used, but the weapons there using now would be awesome to use, also did see a rebarrelled (7.62mm) bren gun on the range being used, now that was a sight to behold.
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Old 07-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Good on you, you'll enjoy the experience, meet a lot of good people, and have a ton of fun!
I did about 18 months with C coy here in Gladstone in the late '80's, but got out early due to a car accident and pressure from a girlfriend at the time..

We did our pre-recruit course in the barracks there in Rocky, and for our PT's, we had to run down along the Fitzroy and back.
Unfortunately I wasn't a real good runner (still hopeless), and had to piggyback our Sargeant around the course as punishment a couple of times....

Then we did our recruit course up in Townsville at Lavarack Barracks for two weeks, and did our navigation exercises around the back of Mt. Stuart.
At the time I didn't appreciate the opportunity, but looking back now it was a great time.
The live fire exercises at Shoalwater are something else!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
Good on you, you'll enjoy the experience, meet a lot of good people, and have a ton of fun!
I did about 18 months with C coy here in Gladstone in the late '80's, but got out early due to a car accident and pressure from a girlfriend at the time..

We did our pre-recruit course in the barracks there in Rocky, and for our PT's, we had to run down along the Fitzroy and back.
Unfortunately I wasn't a real good runner (still hopeless), and had to piggyback our Sargeant around the course as punishment a couple of times....

Then we did our recruit course up in Townsville at Lavarack Barracks for two weeks, and did our navigation exercises around the back of Mt. Stuart.
At the time I didn't appreciate the opportunity, but looking back now it was a great time.
The live fire exercises at Shoalwater are something else!

Ed
Cool thanks mate. I am looking forward to it. My missus isn't stoked by it but she is happy that i have something to look forward to and that i'm getting out and going for runs and stuff with mates.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Shoalwater Bay is were i did the skippy exercise
Old 08-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Sapper
Back to the AU

You'll enjoy it mate, I'm a Combat Engineer in 8CER and thoroughly enjoy it. One thing to remember is that to do the fun stuff there is always some tedious and sometimes monotonous work to be done. Try to make the decision to enjoy things like doing Non-Techs despite the temptation to get irritated with them.

Kapooka will be the most memorable 4 weeks of your life. Its not as difficult as it used to be 20 years ago but it will show you more about yourself than anything else you'll do. I still miss some things about recruit training (but not the games that the Corporals used to play...).

Just remember that once you are in, if you ever want to change your job (assuming there are places at a relevent unit close by) its not too difficult to do so.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

He joining the reserves not the Reg's, my training was at the old Badia Barracks at Ingleburn, long since gone not sure where they do there training now,
Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #16
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
He joining the reserves not the Reg's, my training was at the old Badia Barracks at Ingleburn, long since gone not sure where they do there training now,
Reserves do basic at Kapooka these days. Its 4 weeks, not like the old 2 week. A cut down version of what the regs do.

Steve
Old 09-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #17
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Thanks guys. Yer its 4weeks at kapooka. How fit do i need to be. Last time a done the beep test 3weeks ago in 36degree heat i got to 6.5. I have been doing alot of running since and feel alot better. I need to be able to get to 7.5 on the beep test, 45situps and 15push ups. The pushups i can do no worries, 45situps i struggle and at the moment 7.5BT will be a struggle so fitness is my main priority at the moment.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Have you seen this?:
http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/fitness/fitnessPlan/

People often ask "why only run 1.8km/h? I can run for 6km/h blah blah." The 'Beep Test' to 7.5 is only 1.2km/h so not needed. 1.8km/h at a higher speed will help though, each run, try and go faster.

It doesn't mention anything in the training program above, however, on Sunday if you feel like it, test yourself. If you'll see how fast your improving. Whilst I don't believe the push ups and sit ups are timed, you should time yourself to see that you can do the same in less time.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System

Last edited by Tuddy200; 09-01-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #19
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks guys. Yer its 4weeks at kapooka. How fit do i need to be. Last time a done the beep test 3weeks ago in 36degree heat i got to 6.5. I have been doing alot of running since and feel alot better. I need to be able to get to 7.5 on the beep test, 45situps and 15push ups. The pushups i can do no worries, 45situps i struggle and at the moment 7.5BT will be a struggle so fitness is my main priority at the moment.
I used to run 5km 5 days a week just jog it out at 25mins then on day six I would push it to about 20mins or just under. I would then rest on day 7(sometimes). I am not a fast runner but got very fit.

Eat health. Stay of the grog or at least cut it back. Have a splurge once a week but not stupid.

Steve
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #20
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
I used to run 5km 5 days a week just jog it out at 25mins then on day six I would push it to about 20mins or just under. I would then rest on day 7(sometimes). I am not a fast runner but got very fit.

Eat health. Stay of the grog or at least cut it back. Have a splurge once a week but not stupid.

Steve
Gee mate 5km is a fair run. I aim to be able to run 2km ok within the next month. I only have average 2-3beers a week (save money for other things/cars) and eat pretty healthy, takeaway maybe once or twice a fortnight if lucky otherwise home cooked vegies, salad, pasta etc. I ride 3km to and then home from work every day. There is a park on my way home so am going to stop there on my way riding home each day and run. Now i've been running for a month or 2 i really enjoy it crazy as it sounds.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #21
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Reserves do basic at Kapooka these days. Its 4 weeks, not like the old 2 week. A cut down version of what the regs do.

Steve
Ok my bad, see it's been many moons since i was in, times have changed somewhat, yep and mine was only 2 weeks
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #22
loosey

Just out of curiosity how much does a newly enlisted reserve earn p/a? (if you don't mind me asking).
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #23
Sapper
Back to the AU

The killer thing about fitness at Kapooka is that you do hardly any PT during the first two weeks so you tend to lose a lot of your hard earned fitness. This becomes annoying when you start "Fire and Movement" during the third week.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #24
Sapper
Back to the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionless_xe
Just out of curiosity how much does a newly enlisted reserve earn p/a? (if you don't mind me asking).
You start at around $70 a day but it varies depending upon your job, rank and level of training.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 AM   #25
HLC
Audi S3

how long is a day?

this is starting to look like a good option for me.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 AM   #26
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Gee mate 5km is a fair run. I aim to be able to run 2km ok within the next month. I only have average 2-3beers a week (save money for other things/cars) and eat pretty healthy, takeaway maybe once or twice a fortnight if lucky otherwise home cooked vegies, salad, pasta etc. I ride 3km to and then home from work every day. There is a park on my way home so am going to stop there on my way riding home each day and run. Now i've been running for a month or 2 i really enjoy it crazy as it sounds.
I am not an expert but all I would say is run, run, run. It ain't hard once you get into it. 5k a day is no big deal.

Sounds like your diet is good. Forget the bike, it gets in the way of running.

Run as far as you can for 30 mins. Mark out 2.5k so you can do 5 there and back. Keep at it and you will do fine.

You cannot be to fit when you get to Kapooka. The fitter the better. If you are fit you will enjoy the physical chalange.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #27
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
I am not an expert but all I would say is run, run, run. It ain't hard once you get into it. 5k a day is no big deal.

Sounds like your diet is good. Forget the bike, it gets in the way of running.

Run as far as you can for 30 mins. Mark out 2.5k so you can do 5 there and back. Keep at it and you will do fine.

You cannot be to fit when you get to Kapooka. The fitter the better. If you are fit you will enjoy the physical chalange.
Rido mate. Thats the plan. I only ride because its how i get to and from work everyday. Once fit enough though i will be able to run to and from work, its about 7km round trip. Just not a big fan of running on cement or bitumen. On my way home on the bike i stop at the footy field and run laps so will keep doing that mean time trying to go further and further.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #28
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionless_xe
Yep, only newly listed is $68 for 6hours or more. Plus $11 allowance and minimum $4.55 fuel allowance. So if you go to the depot and live within say 15km like me and where there for 6hours you would get $83.55 tax free. Once trained most start at $106 or so plus the above allowances.
For 3hours or more you get half of the above plus full fuel allowance, and for 2hours or more you get 1/3. So Tuesday nights they train 3hours so you get half, and i think my local depot has a PT session once a week of a morning so you get 1/3 or $43.55 for the 2hour gym session once fully trained or $31 once just enlisted. Apparently they pay you monthly. So its not a bad incentive considering the weekend job I had working sat, sun both 12hours was only geting me just over $220 in the hand for 24hours because i was getting double taxed, whereas i only have to do 12hours and get about $240tax free in the reserves.
Old 13-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #29
Sapper
Back to the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
how long is a day?

this is starting to look like a good option for me.
XYGTHO (below) is pretty much on the money. 6 hours is a full day's pay but not a full day's work. At Kapooka you've got 16 hour days which translate to about 13.5 hrs work, 1.5 hrs eating and 1 hr of 'personal admin' time. After Kapooka its a lot easier though.

Quote:
Yep, only newly listed is $68 for 6hours or more. Plus $11 allowance and minimum $4.55 fuel allowance. So if you go to the depot and live within say 15km like me and where there for 6hours you would get $83.55 tax free. Once trained most start at $106 or so plus the above allowances. For 3hours or more you get half of the above plus full fuel allowance, and for 2hours or more you get 1/3.
Old 13-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #30
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomST
XYGTHO (below) is pretty much on the money. 6 hours is a full day's pay but not a full day's work. At Kapooka you've got 16 hour days which translate to about 13.5 hrs work, 1.5 hrs eating and 1 hr of 'personal admin' time. After Kapooka its a lot easier though.
Yer. Doesn't worry me really that thats the case. The only thing i'm worried about is getting sent to war. lol. I'd be happy to go over seas to help at a place in need after a sunami or something, but don't like to think about killing other people like me who may be innocent defending their country. Although there are some out there who aren't innocent and should be. ha ha