Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Unhappy gearbox no 4 stuffed !!sell my kidneys?

tonigh im stuck in melbourne. My recoed gearbox lost drive today. Once it freereved i turned the car off for 4 seconds and it would then engage the gear. It kept goin for a few hundred metres then lost drive and free revved again after gently going from light throttle to medium. The car travelled some 900 kays without a problem and a few hundred here. I am speechless. I am surprised that this recoed part has let me down . Tommorow i will gently drive it to a local workshop to get diagnosed/repaired so i can hopefully get home at the end of the week. It is 10 days out of warranty and warranty is in sydney. I have really had enough of fixing this car.
If the following year proves good i will be looking for a toyota camry. A car that is reliable is far more important to me than anything else. I love the wagon..it is loud,quick but given me more problems than i have ever heard of.in any other car.
anyway that is my rant for now..i am preparing for yet another big bill for this car. At first impression it may well be S1 or S2 solenoids.. Looks like if i continue my support my ford that i will have to sell my kidney to keep it working.
A reco transmission seems to be a repaired blown transmission from the last customer. Old solenoids are not replaced . I would have been far better to get a second hand box.
My wifes camry...no probs..my bros mitsubishi..3 years and only petrol. I think this is my last ford...they are not a quality car.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

just a quick note of thanks to chris of bluepower down here for his advice to get it going soon...you are alright man. If it gets fixed in time i am gonna come and visit you man...

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 06-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Not good to here Stav but lets face it if you take all your home DYI Mods and lay them on your wifes camry flogg the guts out of it , pull it apart more times than you can remember, race it till a inch of its life then see how the reliability is going :togo: But on a happyer note your in good hands with Chris, only problem there is your car may come bck with a boss motor and a KB hanging out of it .hope your stay other than that was enjoyable
Chers mate ..Whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Not good to here Stav but lets face it if you take all your home DYI Mods and lay them on your wifes camry flogg the guts out of it , pull it apart more times than you can remember, race it till a inch of its life then see how the reliability is going :togo: But on a happyer note your in good hands with Chris, only problem there is your car may come bck with a boss motor and a KB hanging out of it .hope your stay other than that was enjoyable
Chers mate ..Whoosha
hearhear whoosha !
Stav sorry to hear mate just another chapter in your love/hate relationship with the wagon hehe
Hope you get back up here soon safely mexico is not a place to hang around too long
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

C'mon Stav, I can understand your frustration being stranded 900k from home, but seriously, it isn't the cars fault that all the modifications have made your car not so reliable.

As 'Whoosha' just mentioned, do all those things to the Camry : and see what happens. Any car for that matter.

Don't forget, your car has been a pretty big learning curver for you, many mistakes have been made.
It could be be said that you fairly butchered the car a few times in your upgrade travels.
But I'm not sure who would say such a thing..... :
Old 06-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Stav
Smile

Yer I know guys...it is a pretty modified au for sure.However apart from some wsid drags it gets babied around the place.I also have a trans temp gauge.It has never seen over 70 degrees celcius. I have a glimer of hope though as I did bring some tools with me on the trip and the oil looks pretty well cactus. Chris wont be working on the car unfortunately but his guidance was great advice.He has his tramsmission guy on holidays..which is pretty much what I am doing. It has NOT killed my fun down here and its currently getting a new filter and oil .

Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Stav mate, sorry to hear the bad luck, if i can do anything to help you out ie;// tools etc. Let me know and i can see what i can do. Whereabouts in melbourne are u stuck?

I know this might sound like a pain in the **** this way, but have you thought about raiding a pick a part to get a good working box to get you home so that u could return the other box to the reconditioner. I have so far pulled 3 BTR's out of cars at pick a part and gotten 3 good auto's, you just need to know how to pick em, and at around $150 there cheap.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
namecrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
Stav mate, sorry to hear the bad luck, if i can do anything to help you out ie;// tools etc. Let me know and i can see what i can do. Whereabouts in melbourne are u stuck?

I know this might sound like a pain in the **** this way, but have you thought about raiding a pick a part to get a good working box to get you home so that u could return the other box to the reconditioner. I have so far pulled 3 BTR's out of cars at pick a part and gotten 3 good auto's, you just need to know how to pick em, and at around $150 there cheap.
other than looking for clean oil...what can u do?
namecrap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Yer I know guys...it is a pretty modified au for sure.However apart from some wsid drags it gets babied around the place.I also have a trans temp gauge.It has never seen over 70 degrees celcius. I have a glimer of hope though as I did bring some tools with me on the trip and the oil looks pretty well cactus. Chris wont be working on the car unfortunately but his guidance was great advice.He has his tramsmission guy on holidays..which is pretty much what I am doing. It has NOT killed my fun down here and its currently getting a new filter and oil .
Gees you make me laugh Stav .. I got a Cortina in the shed thats a bit modifyed and only driven on sundays and always baybyd every other day and its broken, I got a certain offspring with a bit modifyed 5 year old ute that has 10000ks on it that only gets driven on sundays and babyed the rest of the time and its broken in his shed ..I got a XR8 in the drive that dont go far on sundays any more and what you know its still going good : Gees I see a pattern here
You"ll be back bigger than ever mate good luck with it .. and I look like having a few days off now so if you need any bits or any running round just fire me a PM mate I'm only 1/2 hour or so away
Whoosha

Quote:

Last edited by Whoosha; 06-01-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Spelln
Old 06-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

namecrap - im assuming you mean to tell if the 2nd hand box is good, well there's always the chance it won't be, but yes clean oil, pull the pan off and inspect, check bands etc as u can see them, but another good sign is a clean outside and a reco sticker on it is a good start. Many of the cars that end up at these joints because the owner has got sick of fixing and paying for repairs on an old car, a lot of the time u find reco auto's that haven't done that many km's.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Hope you can get it fixed, Stav! Must be awful to be in another state with a broken down car.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

Time for a ZF 6 speed methinks.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #13
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm i like your thinking.... : 6 Speed... :eclipsee_
Old 06-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

So was the so-called reco box built any stronger than the stock item? If not, maybe you should get a stronger box built? If so, how is it Ford's fault?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Time for a ZF 6 speed methinks.
Time for a manual.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #16
The Monty
Just slidin'

Time for flappy paddles, lol.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #17
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Time for flappy paddles, lol.
Poor Stav....
Old 06-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Poor Stav....
NAH He's got big shoulders might as welll get into him now before he gets back from his family Touristy day out and starts to plot his pay back :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Must be awful to be in another state with a broken down car.
Why we're a freindly bunch down here in MEHICCO :

Quote:
Old 06-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #19
Stav
Smile

well i go my love hate wagon back. The oil was filthy !! I drove it around kew where i am staying and revved its guts out. It drove smoother than ever!! Tonight will be the big test!! If it works well now then it should be good to go

My new new years reso is wait before i comment..

Old 06-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #20
5LGhiaWgn
Banned

Time for a T56 conversion Stav
5LGhiaWgn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #21
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I drove it around kew where i am staying and revved its guts out.
Which part of Kew are you staying in Stav, far kew or near kew?
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #22
5LGhiaWgn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits

Hahaha nice one..
5LGhiaWgn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #23
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
Pinkbits ..you can visit me at far kew t
Tonight the car is going smooth and shifting very fast..muahaha

Old 07-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #24
namecrap

Quote:
Pinkbits ..you can visit me at far kew t
Tonight the car is going smooth and shifting very fast..muahaha

what did u have to do to get it working again...new box or fixed the one u had
namecrap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #25
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by namecrap
what did u have to do to get it working again...new box or fixed the one u had
Sounds like he gave it a much needed and overdue service

lol at being unhappy about a possibly broken box that's obviously gets some stick yet from the sounds of it misses out on servicing!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 04:45 AM   #26
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad to here some resolution, personally i'd blame our colder melbourne climate.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #27
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

I don't live too far from Kew... was that you I heard hooning a Ford straight 6 past my house last night at around 11pm ? :
Old 07-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #28
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I think what i was going to say has already been said.
If you had have left the wagon stock then you'd still be running, probably on the original transmission. The ford IS a quality product, you've just mercilessly slaughtered an otherwise good workhorse. As they say, fools and their money...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #29
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I think what i was going to say has already been said.
If you had have left the wagon stock then you'd still be running, probably on the original transmission. The ford IS a quality product, you've just mercilessly slaughtered an otherwise good workhorse. As they say, fools and their money...
Way to harsh we prefer the term "YOU PLAY YOU PAY" :

Quote:
Old 07-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #30
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

fair cop woosha, ill go with that. scratch my earlier comment, replace with you play you pay.