Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default John Travoltas son dies

One of the worlds "nice guys", very sad, there won't be too many people that will be feeling his pain. Condolences, love your work.

January 03, 2009 08:00am
JOHN Travolta's 16-year-old son has died after an accident at the movie star's holiday home.

Jett Travolta reportedly hit his head in a bathtub on New Year's Day. A caretaker found him unconscious.

Police told the Associated Press he was declared dead at a hospital in the Bahamas.

Family lawyer Michael Ossi said Jett suffered a seizure at the family property at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island.

Attempts were made to revive him, but he died at the scene, he said.

The teenager had a history of seizures. Preston has said her son suffered from Kawasaki disease, which can lead to heart problems for some children.

Jett was the oldest child of Travolta and actress Kelly Preston. They also have an eight-year-old daughter.

A spokeswoman for Rand Memorial Hospital on Grand Bahama Island could not comment for privacy reasons.

Robert Gidel, president of Ginn Resorts, which owns the holiday complex, said: "The Travolta family has become like family to us at Old Bahama Bay and we extend our deepest sympathies to them."

Old 03-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I'm deeply shocked. Many times I've seen him speak so lovingly of his son. This is terribly sad news.

(Krissy)
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do bad things happen to good people ?????
Old 03-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Force6

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Why do bad things happen to good people ?????
Why do good things happen to bad people?

Condolences to Travolta though. From what I understand, it was a though time bringing the kid up, and to have him so abruptly taken from them must make it all the more heart breaking.
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Such a shame, for somebody who I am sure had a lot of promise, to be taken from the world at such a young age, just shows that fate can be quite cruel, and at any time anybodies number could be up.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
gtfpv
GT

i knew someone who was mentally challanged , who suddenly died as a young man whilst on holidays . the fact that he was such a great natured person actually made you mourn his loss more so, as he was challanged everyday, and had to live with this for life . i'm sure they are beyond devestated and i deeply feel for them . it was a shock to hear . not a good 2009 for that family.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Seems to be some conjecture about how his illness was treated or what his illness actually was and it wasn't just a case of hitting his head during a seisure.

Some are suggesting that he was using the faith of Scientology and the bollocks behind all that to spiritually heal those ailments (which I hope not to be the case) but this speculation is coming from certain sections of the media so their credability is undoubtedly in question.

It still is a trajedy to be taken so young.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

very sad news my heart goes out to john and his family

found this
Quote:
Kawasaki disease is an illness that involves the skin, mouth, and lymph nodes, and most often affects kids under age 5. The cause is unknown, but if the symptoms are recognized early, kids with Kawasaki disease can fully recover within a few days. Untreated, it can lead to serious complications that can affect the heart.

Kawasaki disease occurs in 19 out of every 100,000 kids in the United States. It is most common among children of Japanese and Korean descent, but can affect all ethnic groups.
Signs and Symptoms

Kawasaki disease can't be prevented, but usually has telltale symptoms and signs that appear in phases.

The first phase, which can last for up to 2 weeks, usually involves a persistent fever higher than 104° Fahrenheit (39° Celsius) and lasts for at least 5 days.

Other symptoms that typically develop include:

* severe redness in the eyes
* a rash on the stomach, chest, and genitals
* red, dry, cracked lips
* swollen tongue with a white coating and big red bumps
* sore, irritated throat
* swollen palms of the hands and soles of the feet with a purple-red color
* swollen lymph nodes

During the second phase, which usually begins within 2 weeks of when the fever started, the skin on the hands and feet may begin to peel in large pieces. The child also may experience joint pain, diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain. If your child shows any of these symptoms, call your doctor.
Complications

Doctors can manage the symptoms of Kawasaki disease if they catch it early. Symptoms often disappear within just 2 days of the start of treatment. If Kawasaki disease is treated within 10 days of the onset of symptoms, heart problems usually do not develop.

Cases that go untreated can lead to more serious complications, such as vasculitis, an inflammation of the blood vessels. This can be particularly dangerous because it can affect the coronary arteries, which supply blood to the heart.

In addition to the coronary arteries, the heart muscle, lining, valves, and the outer membrane that surrounds the heart can become inflamed. Arrhythmias (changes in the normal pattern of the heartbeat) or abnormal functioning of some heart valves also can occur.
Diagnosis

No single test can detect Kawasaki disease, so doctors usually diagnose it by evaluating the symptoms and ruling out other conditions.

Most kids diagnosed with Kawasaki disease will have a fever lasting 5 or more days and at least four of these symptoms:

* redness in both eyes
* changes around the lips, tongue, or mouth
* changes in the fingers and toes, such as swelling, discoloration, or peeling
* a rash in the trunk or genital area
* a large swollen lymph node in the neck
* red, swollen palms of hands and soles of feet

If Kawasaki disease is suspected, the doctor may order tests to monitor heart function (such as an echocardiogram) and might take blood and urine samples to rule out other conditions, such as scarlet fever, measles, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, or an allergic drug reaction.
Treatment

Treatment should begin as soon as possible, ideally within 10 days of when the fever begins. Usually, a child is treated with intravenous doses of gamma globulin (purified antibodies), an ingredient of blood that helps the body fight infection. The child also might be given a high dose of aspirin to reduce the risk of heart problems.

Reviewed by: Joel Klein, MD
Date reviewed: October 2008
very scary as a parent if your child has this if you dont pick it up

R.I.P Jet

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
zigzagnt

Very sad but i am slightly suspicious about the link with kawasaki,My brother had kawasaki when he was about 2 and was very ill for weeks until they pumped him with immunoglobulin i think it was. but is fine now apart from a pupil in one eye not dilating like its meant to, He has trouble with chest pains but after having all sorts of tests (ECGs and so on) they reckon its more a chest muscle thing and not heart related as the heart is fine they say. (wouldn't surprise me if it is muscular related with all the activity he does.) My Brother's never had a seizure either and he had the illness about 15/16 years ago now.
zigzagnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagnt
Very sad but i am slightly suspicious about the link with kawasaki,My brother had kawasaki when he was about 2 and was very ill for weeks until they pumped him with immunoglobulin i think he was. but is fine now apart from a pupil in one eye not dilating like its meant to, He has trouble with chest pains but after having all sorts of tests (ECGs and so on) they reckon its more a chest muscle thing and not heart related as the heart is fine they say. (wouldn't surprise me if it is muscular related with all the activity he does.) My Brother's never had a seizure either and he had the illness about 15/16 years ago now.

the kid was heavily retarted. SCIENTOLOGY, does not recognise this , and so makes up excuses to suit it's religion.
just as other churches believe that if you pray , god will grow a new limb on an amputee.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
zigzagnt

I kinda agree I reckon there is some other condition that they won't admit to.
zigzagnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
Stumper
Clevo Datto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
the kid was heavily retarted. SCIENTOLOGY, does not recognise this , and so makes up excuses to suit it's religion.
just as other churches believe that if you pray , god will grow a new limb on an amputee.
The boy was autistic like my son, not retarded but you are right about Scientology they think autism is just a weakness in the mind. The moment I found out about that way of thinking I changed my opinion of John Travolta, But the loss of a son would still be devastating no matter your standing and we all send our good wishes to the family.
Stumper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man that would be the worst thing to have you kid go before you. It's just not right.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post