Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Odd roadrage incident

Unfortunately for the lady in the end, still this is the strangest one I've heard of.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...ffset=0&page=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.timesonline.co.uk
It was the ultimate expression of road rage. A furious woman driver died after ramming another vehicle and spinning her wheels so fast that her own car burst into flames.

Serena Sutton-Smith, 54, burnt to death after refusing to get out of her Vauxhall Nova as she sat with her foot flat on the accelerator.

She spun the wheels so fast that her tyres disintegrated and the metal rims sent a shower of sparks into the engine, igniting the brake fluid and setting the car on fire.

Appalled onlookers urged her to get out of the car as the flames licked around her but she told them to “ off”, an inquest in Gloucester was told.

The road-rage attack took place on a quiet country road in the Cotswolds between Weston sub Edge and Mickleton in Gloucestershire.

The inquest heard that Paula Small was driving her Fiat Punto when Ms Sutton-Smith emerged from a side road without stopping, causing her to swerve to avoid a collision. Mrs Small was forced on the grass verge and she flashed her lights as Ms Sutton-Smith passed her.

Ms Sutton-Smith then pulled over and Mrs Small stopped a short way in front of her. She was getting out when the Vauxhall Nova rammed her car.

Mrs Small said: “I opened my door and put my foot out but as I was getting out there was a bang and I hit my head on the door frame. I was frozen with terror.” As neighbours came to investigate they saw Ms Sutton-Smith sitting with a furious expression, revving her engine and spinning her wheels.

Nicholas Willmore told the inquest that he was in his workshop at Cottage Farm Antiques when his mother alerted him to what was happening outside. As he walked across the road to the two cars he saw smoke coming from the engine of the Nova.

He said: “There was a deafening sound of an engine running as though someone had a foot stuck on the accelerator.

“The car’s front wheels were spinning and there was loads of revving. I could see a biggish person at the wheel and there was movement in the car. Flames were coming from underneath the car and I thought the person might be trapped inside although I couldn’t hear any shouting.

“I opened the driver’s door wide. It opened easily. The person looked at me, it was a big built woman. I said ’You’ve got to get out of the car. It’s going to burst into flames’.

“The person replied ’ off, just off’ and she raised her right fist towards me in a threatening manner before slamming the door shut.

“I was a bit bewildered and moved 3-4 yards back. I could see her gesturing towards me. She seemed to be in quite a rage. Both fists were raised and being shaken and the person was looking right at me.

“This was definitely done in a manner to tell me to stay away from her car.” Mr Willmore grabbed a fire extinguisher from his workshop but it failed to put out the flames. Another motorist also tried to extinguish the flames.

Mr Willmore added: “The heat was getting more and more intense and the flames were growing. I could no longer see inside. There was nothing that could be done to help the person inside.

“There was no attempt by the person to get out. In my opinion it was against all human instincts for someone to stay inside that car.” Ms Sutton-Smith was dead by the time fire fighters arrived to put out the blaze.

Fire officer Andrew Clayton said: “The circumstances indicate that this was a deliberate act. She remained in the vehicle after ramming a car and then sat with the front wheels spinning until fire developed.

“The front nearside passenger wheel gouged into the road surface by 50mm and the tyre was totally destroyed by the friction. This would have produced sparks igniting fluid, most probably brake fluid.” The inquest heard that Ms Sutton-Smith, who had previously worked behind the bar at a working men’s club in Ashton sub Edge, had a history of erratic behaviour and suffered from bipolar disorder.

Alan Crickmore, the Gloucestershire coroner, said that her mental condition meant that she failed to appreciate the danger she was in.

He said “At no time, prior to becoming incapicitated, was Serena trapped in her vehicle. She was certainly able to get out of it when Mr Willmore opened the door and invited her to do so.

“I am driven to the conclusion that if at any time she had wanted to do so before becoming incapacitated she could have got out of the car and would not have died as a result of the fire.

“I am satisfied the fire was started because of her deliberate actions. But I am far from satisfied that at that point in time it was her clear intention that death would ensue.

“I think it is more likely than not that she failed to understand the peril she was in and the consequences of her actions.” He recorded a verdict of accidental death.
Hope this isn't a repost, if it is I'll delete it lol.

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

hmmmm....bazar.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not happy Jan. :

Kinda think situations involving people like this, Karma oftens rears its head and makes things right.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Thanks Russell

I will keep this in mind when i drive through there next

Checklist:

1. Do not p*ss off any stocky built women in the Cotswolds.......
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

lol, having not long returned form there it doesn't surprise me as much as I thought it would. Violence over there is seriously out of control.
Old 28-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Few screws loose maybe? A very strange situation
Old 28-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
lol, having not long returned form there it doesn't surprise me as much as I thought it would. Violence over there is seriously out of control.
Violence on the streets is definitely higher over here , espeically knife crime among teenagers etc

However, having driven here for 3 years, there is hardly any road rage

A lot of "Christian Motoring" (Quote James May - Top Gear) here

Unlike Melbourne where road rage is prevalent and drivers are not courteous to fellow road users.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Another reason why FWD sucks.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

That was one killer burnout she did!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Im surprised the engine lasted long enough to fry the tyres that bad. Must of been redlining it. I can see a few Vauxhall Novas at the next burnout comp.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
zigzagnt

I hope my relatives over there can drive better than that.Honestly that is bizarre!.
zigzagnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

If it was me, atleast I would have done a few snakeys before going out.!
(you can't catch me now......fine that ya bastards!!)
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
That was one killer burnout she did!
Old 28-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Thats nuts!!! :
Old 28-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Too many cups of tea will do it to you every time!
Old 28-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #16
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on a more serious note if she suffered from bipolar thats definently something tragic to happen to anybody whether they are mentally unwell or not

as much as we'd rather not get involved, even if they are mentally unwell its not up to us to decide they should die due to their actions, and she should have been forcibly removed from her burning car

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

See folks, burnouts can kill. It could have all been prevented if they had of given her the pinky.

On a more serious note, I'm surprised the guy didn't rip the keys out of the ignition if he was concerned enough to open the door.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #18
gemibabe

yeah I don't see why he didn't just pull her out of the car... I couldn't stand by and watch someone burn to death..ffs thats just horrible :(
Old 28-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #19
BlackLS
yum

I'd be angry too if I had to drive a Vauxhall Nova

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemibabe
yeah I don't see why he didn't just pull her out of the car...
The guy offered help and he was threatened and she slammed the door shut. She had her chance and didn't take it - that's her problem. You can offer your hand in help, but the other person has to reach out and grab it.

This deserves a nomination for the Darwin Awards
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #21
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

that would of been a burnout to see
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #22
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a nut! i hope the folks that were in the vicinity arnt too effected by it
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
What a nut! i hope the folks that were in the vicinity arnt too effected by it
Exactly, while it may be a terrible thing that happened to her it is the poor bystanders that I feel for. Imagine having to watch that and not be able to do anything about it.
Old 29-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #24
TadKa
Wait? What?

very strange. I wasn't there of course (being the other side of the worldand all) But I wouldnt think it would be hard to rip out the keys or drag an angry big girl out of a car. Christ how could you watch someone die. Even if it is their wish and they were fighting for it.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
very strange. I wasn't there of course (being the other side of the worldand all) But I wouldnt think it would be hard to rip out the keys or drag an angry big girl out of a car. Christ how could you watch someone die. Even if it is their wish and they were fighting for it.
Well if the door was locked it wouldn't be that easy, you have to think about your own safety too. Remember not everyone is a hero and there aren't many of us who know how to react in any emergency situation.

It is all well and good to say "I'd do this/that" but until you are in a situation it is nothing more than speculation and hoping that that is what you would do.

I've seen big burly guys break down in an emergency whereas small blokes just get on and do the job, and vice versa.

TadKa this is not aimed at you, more a generalisation.
Old 29-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #26
azaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa

Tadka, Funny how u say that. Every heard the saying Angry people are as strong as 10 men. Youll be suprised when those fists hit u straight in your face.

First rule of Help, Don't endanger yourself to save another life.

Saying that i also would of tried to get her out but trying to get her seatbelt off her and rip her out while shes punching me in the face and neck. i think not!
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 10:15 PM   #27
TadKa
Wait? What?

yeah points taken. Would be hard to know what could have been done without being there. Personal safety first. And fire is rather hot.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post