Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 24-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
chriscochris

Default average reaction times

Just wondering what would be the average reaction time amongst most people taking their cars down the quarter. Im not talking pros or people who do it competitively either.
Also, when companies (or magazines) quote the 1/4 mile times for new cars, what sort of reaciton time would they have or allow??

chriscochris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

car mags use a gps based system that measures time from the moment the vehicle starts to move, so it is the most accurate measure of a car's performance.
At the drags, most average punters do a .5 to .6 reaction time. This time is not added to your elapsed time - the et does not start until you trip the lights. That means the vehicle is already moving by the time the time starts ticking. This is why most can get between .2 to .4 of a sec quicker than the mags claimed times when they visit the strip!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
chriscochris

Ah, ok. I took my BA XR8 ute to the drags for my first ever go at the strip. Ran a 14.55 with a .974 reaction (pretty slow, i know). Does this mean that i took 14.55 seconds, not from when the light went green, but from the moment i moved off the line?? Got to say that it was much harder than i thought. I had baldish 235's, stock motor and manual (it was just for a bit of fun, nothing more than brotherly rivalry with his maloo). Cant believe how sticky the strip is.
Old 24-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Where's Stav ?

He could tell you a thing or two about a good reaction time
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Where's Stav ?

He could tell you a thing or two about a good reaction time

It's not that hard in a daily driver.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscochris
Ah, ok. I took my BA XR8 ute to the drags for my first ever go at the strip. Ran a 14.55 with a .974 reaction (pretty slow, i know). Does this mean that i took 14.55 seconds, not from when the light went green, but from the moment i moved off the line?? Got to say that it was much harder than i thought. I had baldish 235's, stock motor and manual (it was just for a bit of fun, nothing more than brotherly rivalry with his maloo). Cant believe how sticky the strip is.
Thats right,your reaction time does'nt make a lick of difference to your elapsed time,its only usefull if your bracket or grudge racing etc..
I dont bother with it when chasing a good time,I concentrate more on leaving at the right rpm and throttle position..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Thats right,your reaction time does'nt make a lick of difference to your elapsed time,its only usefull if your bracket or grudge racing etc..
I dont bother with it when chasing a good time,I concentrate more on leaving at the right rpm and throttle position..
As Nugget said..
Reaction time makes no difference to the elapsed time. However at wsid there is prize money up for grabs for best reaction time of the night and the perfect light.

The 60 foot time tells you how well the car launches .This is significant.What was your 60 foot time?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah we have a reaction time comp in Perth too.

I kinda pride myself on them, it gives a sense of professionalism in a way, if it isnt under .100 Im a little annoyed with myself. But it is easier on a street car too.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another point to do with reaction times - some tracks use .400 as a perfect time, whereas others it is 0.00
14.55 is an alright time for newbie. Hope you enjoyed it and come back for more.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
naughts
Hmmmmm Mulberry....

my last three runs at heathcote at the ford nats were .47 .45 and .42 in the final.
(.400 perfect.)
I was rapt to say the least.
naughts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
chriscochris

60 foot time was 2.3 Not good, i know but as said, my first time on a drag strip, bald 235's (Im heading overseas for a year or so in a week so im not going to bother with new ones till i get back). I wasn't aware that the timing worked when you started moving. If i had of known this then i would have worked more on the correct RPM etc. The first two runs i got bogged down something shocking, third one i spun through first and into second. Had lots of laughs. My brother took his maloo and ran 14.4 so they were close races and plenty on fun, which is what we went for!
Old 25-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughts
my last three runs at heathcote at the ford nats were .47 .45 and .42 in the final.
(.400 perfect.)
I was rapt to say the least.
Remind me to not race against you in eliminations....mine are generally in the high 4's or low5's.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #13
paddy351
Ford Nut

At least you don't have a vl turbo , they sit there for 2 minutes spooling up A .47 is the best i got on my bike
Old 25-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
EXR8ED
HO INTERCEPTOR

I run between mid .4's to low .5's on average.

Cheers
Glenn
Body and Visual by HO
My Business GutterGuardGuyAluminium Guttermesh Supply & Installation.
OrsmFordCruisers
R.I.P Wayne Draper
EXR8ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscochris
60 foot time was 2.3 Not good, i know but as said, my first time on a drag strip, bald 235's (Im heading overseas for a year or so in a week so im not going to bother with new ones till i get back). I wasn't aware that the timing worked when you started moving. If i had of known this then i would have worked more on the correct RPM etc. The first two runs i got bogged down something shocking, third one i spun through first and into second. Had lots of laughs. My brother took his maloo and ran 14.4 so they were close races and plenty on fun, which is what we went for!
Good on you Chris for giving it a go

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 12:09 AM   #16
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
It's not that hard in a daily driver.
I didnt say what i said for what ever reason that gave that reply.
Only that he happens to be the only person i know that has done a 0.000 and i knew he'd have some input and has.

Weather its a daily or not, still a good effort i think...
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post