Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Default Young people shouldn't be on the front counter.

I'm abit pee'd off. : Yesterday I went to CBC bearings and tried to get a rear extention seal for my toploader. Only to be told by two young snotty nose kids that I need the seal to go of as they wouldn't have a reference for it. I thought that's abit silly as I was in there not more then a year ago and got one straight over the counter. So I knew I didn't have time to pull the seal out before they shut so I went to walkers[auto one] and got one straight over the counter. What was funny is that they used a CBC reference book to find me the seal. Now is that just laziness on behalf of the kids at CBC or what?

Old 13-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
Young people who don't know their product shouldn't be on the front counter.
There ya go, fixed.

In my experience, sure there are some totally useless salespeople in parts stores (young and old mind you), but I have had dealings with plenty to knowledgeable young people as well.

Oo\===/oO
Old 13-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
davonafairlane
Fairlane 4eva

Is it laziness or what???????????????????????????
Young people are fine as long as they have the training and/or experience necessary. Do you know how long they've worked there for example? A lot of bearing shops deal with bearings, seals & belts and things for industry/manufacturing/engineering, automotive is not the core trade. You are also asking for a seal for a gearbox that is quite old. I don't want to rant but I agree with peuty there are both young and old people that are hopeless at their job and others that really know it like the back of their hand. I find bearing shops very helpful whoever serves on the counter but I also help them out by getting a number of the bearing, belts or seals it makes life a lot easier. If I had a dollar for every time a listing is incorrect for my vehicles I could buy a nice meal at a nice restaurant.
Old 13-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

They would have been lucky to be out of their teens. But the point I'm getting at is I don't expect them to know what seal it was. But to aleast have a look in their book instead of just sitting there and saying they need the old one.
Old 13-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bloody kids these days. i ordered a stunner deal at hungry jacks and specifically asked for my fries to be changed to onion rings. of course that didn't happen and it ruined my lunch. next time i'll ask for someone older to serve me.
Old 13-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Yeah don't take the reference books as gospel... there's a filter reference book used by Supercrap and well let's just say it lists the wrong filter for the EL i6 - the filter they list is actually for either an EB or ED and IT WON'T FIT the filter box.
Old 13-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you ask them to check the parts book for a reference...?

Old 13-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Now now, I've come across plenty of incompetent people who aren't young.

Don't stereotype based on one experience you've had.

Most, if not all the time it comes down to the actual person, and how they deal with things, etc etc.

And seriously, if you were so sure that they had the seal, why didn't you request to see someone higher up in the food chain.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 13-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
manny_papa
disco time !!!

"A world without kids, future generations will thank us" - American dad
Old 13-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stupid kids, good for nothing arn't they? :

Might as well lock them up till they are as wise as you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Yeah don't take the reference books as gospel... there's a filter reference book used by Supercrap and well let's just say it lists the wrong filter for the EL i6 - the filter they list is actually for either an EB or ED and IT WON'T FIT the filter box.

Um, ALL aussie for 6's from the XK-BA all took the same oil filter, a "Z9". that includes your EF, EB's and ED's.
Old 13-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

and if you dont like the " Z9 " then go the " OF1SL "
Old 13-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Did you ask them to check the parts book for a reference...?
Good on ya! Why should I have to, it should be mandatory. What I'm getting at is that they would have been to busy talking about bullsh!t and mucking around to worry about getting a book out so they can have a look. I only go to CBC because it usaully cheaper. I do usaully bring an old part in. But in this case I have gotting them before and didn't need the part. Actually I'm sure that when I did bring the old one in they still looked in the book to confirm.
Old 13-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should have gone back over to see them with the correct part in hand, get them to locate it, and then advise them that it is part of their training, and next time they should know where to look!
Old 13-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #14
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
Um, ALL aussie for 6's from the XK-BA all took the same oil filter, a "Z9". that includes your EF, EB's and ED's.
Sorry it was an AIR filter. The oil filters are of course the same.
Old 13-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #15
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Try getting parts for a Hillman Hunter from Kids. Its usually, what make and model is that, three times over.

Then I ask for the part, which they immediately say they dont have, and can never get- I tell then that company XY makes the part, and then tell them to get the catalogue.

They usually then dick around getting the catalogue and either dont find it, at which time I usually provide a print off from the online catalogue with part no circled or tell them that Hillman is just before Holden in the alphabet.

Most of time I feel, like just saying, give me damn catalogue and the phone and ill order the part myself. Some parts are genuinely hard to get fair enough, but i had a 10 minute arguement with a lady once, that she was admant that she did not have spark plugs for that car. After one quick look in the NGK catalogue, i found the number and they had 100's of them.

The way those part stores are going they are turning into the McDonald's of part supplies. I now only to go to stores which I know the staff and only between the hours of 9-12 and 2-5 and only on weekdays- far easier, the weekend mob dont know a oil filter from a fuel filter.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 13-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
Should have gone back over to see them with the correct part in hand, get them to locate it, and then advise them that it is part of their training, and next time they should know where to look!
Or ask to speak to the manager or ring back later and ask to speak to him and tell him nicely of your concerns and experience at his store. If you thought the kids should have tried harder maybe the manager will think so too.
Old 13-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #17
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

DONT blame the kids behind the counter! They have got off there ar**se to get a job and doing the best that they have been instructed to do! Give them a chance and if you have a problem with the front counter ....... young or old ...... take 5 minutes out to talk to managment and let them know that THERE training is not working! All can be done quickly and nicely. It can be very frustrating sometimes and have had some good blues with some but make sure you blue with the right person.

If they have no skills or dont know what they are doing, blame the person that put them there.

DONT blame people that havnt been told or trained by managment appropriatly.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #18
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
Stupid kids, good for nothing arn't they? :

Might as well lock them up till they are as wise as you are.

Since when does a Z9 oil filter fit into a filter box
Old 13-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #19
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
They would have been lucky to be out of their teens. But the point I'm getting at is I don't expect them to know what seal it was. But to aleast have a look in their book instead of just sitting there and saying they need the old one.

Must be school holidays huh...
Old 13-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #20
richa
handsomest man in showbiz

Default Hmmm.

Quote:
I'm abit pee'd off. : Yesterday I went to CBC bearings and tried to get a rear extention seal for my toploader. Only to be told by two young snotty nose kids that I need the seal to go of as they wouldn't have a reference for it. I thought that's abit silly as I was in there not more then a year ago and got one straight over the counter. So I knew I didn't have time to pull the seal out before they shut so I went to walkers[auto one] and got one straight over the counter. What was funny is that they used a CBC reference book to find me the seal. Now is that just laziness on behalf of the kids at CBC or what?

Mabye i'm playing devils advocate here.But why didn't you just ask them to have a look through their parts catalogue?.if this kid was 16yrs old,and you mentioned the year of your gearbox to him (im guessing it's around 30/40years old)
he,probably not being a fan of antique cars (LOL) incorrectly thought he would need a sample.And if you thought he was just being lazy perhaps you
(being older and wiser)should have prompted him to try a little harder.IMO

'72 GS
Old 13-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #21
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

In my day......................................
Old 13-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #22
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
DONT blame the kids behind the counter! They have got off there ar**se to get a job and doing the best that they have been instructed to do! Give them a chance and if you have a problem with the front counter ....... young or old ...... take 5 minutes out to talk to managment and let them know that THERE training is not working! All can be done quickly and nicely. It can be very frustrating sometimes and have had some good blues with some but make sure you blue with the right person.

If they have no skills or dont know what they are doing, blame the person that put them there.

DONT blame people that havnt been told or trained by managment appropriatly.
Spot on.
Old 13-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #23
HOEBAG
Banned

but still a little initiative would be nice from the youngens!
I try my hardest trying to find anything if a client asks unless it's definatly not going to work. there is a fine line between wasting time and customer service though

i generally don't take no for an answer. research online, get part numbers, catalogues. if someone stil can't get parts, i just use someone different.
bang. done.
Old 13-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #24
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

Its all in the training IMO. A wise man once said "The cost of training is high, the cost of ignorance is twofold" Employers who do not invest in their people with training will fall....hard. I employ 15 people and spend alot of money on training therefore ensuring a level of customer satisfaction and personal satisfaction for my employees. (obviously resulting in my satisfaction)
Old 13-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #25
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I agree with you about lazy people who wont help you at the counter but if you have tried to employ someone lately you don't exactly have a huge choice of qualified people to choose from, in most cases ya gotta take what you can get.
Old 13-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #26
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HMMMM... kids that have work somewhere and have no idea peev me. However it isn't there fault. If they were correctly trained. From day 1 as in kicked up the a##e from mum and dad. Still got the cane in school. Had managers that were dead set pricks like I had to work for they wouldn't continually stuff up. What needs to happen is we need to jump back 30years and teach them the respect we were taught. So they would take pride in themselves and there jobs.

Last edited by 99GHIA; 13-07-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 13-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #27
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
I agree with you about lazy people who wont help you at the counter but if you have tried to employ someone lately you don't exactly have a huge choice of qualified people to choose from, in most cases ya gotta take what you can get.
I dont agree though. I employ 12 people and have trained most of them and trained those with skills already to help with the training of those that need it.

It is a lazy employer that wont put the time in ...... and then wonder why things go bad! Of course you do come across those that are just 'untrainable' but there is a job for everyone ...... just not everyone is right for the job. Some people are squares and you may require a circle. Again thats for the employer to choose, but some dont realise.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #28
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

we were all young once. according to my parents, i'll always be young. Let's not generalise and be offensive to the 'kids'. As has been said, training is what it is down to, not how much of a rats backside the attendant gives.
Closed Thread