Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Default Got sick of running such a big cam.

Some of you may know I put in a really big cam in the AU a couple of months ago along with a worked XR6 head and I also rebuilt the engine.

It goes like the clappers but I'm getting to the stage where I don't feel like commuting in rush hour traffic in whats one step away from a full on race car.

SO... I just bought a '05 BA MKII XR6 Turbo, Black, Leather, Manual, 63371 km's for $27,000 drive away, very exciting.

Now I have what I hope will be one of the fastest N/A AU 6 Falcons in the country and a nice Turbo for daily duties

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

So what will it be ..? A dedicated drag car? What was the cam idling at?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

lol, anywhere between 600-1000, thats before it stalls at idle in gear. I think it needs a retune, what stall are you running in yours Stav?

Yeah, dedicated Track/Drag/Motorkana etc have to find a trailer though.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Mine is a 2500 rpm stallie.My tacho is out by around 500rpm and I originally thought it was 3000..but it is not. I think your cam is way bigger than mine. Mine reprtedly idles at around 1000 rpm in other sixes,however with the countless hours of work I have thrown into it ,it idles between 650 and 800rpm. It is lumpy but it doesnt turn off. I dont mean to sound boastful ..but I have never heard another modern ford six sound as mean as the wagon and I just love it!!

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i had a ridiculously large cam in my EB V8, it was a barrel of fun, had to stall it up to do anything really, reversing especially. I found it to be a lot of fun. It'd settle down once you normalised the revs for 10 seconds or so. Almost made it feel like driving a manual again haha.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

, I'll be soon to join the bandwagon !. I'm looking at getting one of the new G series XR8's or the G6E turbo's ( undecided still yet ) for general road driving. So, either way my old AUII XR6 VCT will be turned into a strip car soon - off road - 1/4 mile drag car. I'm currently looking at fitting the largest possible cubic inch v8 i can into the engine bay , specs being measured as we speak and maybe be possible to fit or mod the engine bay in the XR6 to fit a 460 big block (not legal for road use / just the strip), tub it with 24" Mickey Tompsons at least etc etc, get it to lift at the front . I'm looking foward to it !
I'm hoping to build a 9.5 to 10 second 1/4 car (at least) that will go as hard as my old XE 15 years back

:eclipsee_

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 05-07-2008 at 01:08 AM.
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
, I'll be soon to join the bandwagon !. I'm looking at getting one of the new G series XR8's or the G6E turbo's ( undecided still yet ) for general road driving. So, either way my old AUII XR6 VCT will be turned into a strip car soon - off road - 1/4 mile drag car. I'm currently looking at fitting the largest possible cubic inch v8 i can into the engine bay , specs being measured as we speak and maybe be possible to fit or mod the engine bay in the XR6 to fit a 460 big block (not legal for road use / just the strip), tub it with 24" Mickey Tompsons at least etc etc, get it to lift at the front . I'm looking foward to it !
I'm hoping to build a 9.5 to 10 second 1/4 car (at least) that will go as hard as my old XE 15 years back
Hurry up and get the FG mate so we can see this beast proceed :
Old 05-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
Some of you may know I put in a really big cam in the AU a couple of months ago along with a worked XR6 head and I also rebuilt the engine.

It goes like the clappers but I'm getting to the stage where I don't feel like commuting in rush hour traffic in whats one step away from a full on race car.

SO... I just bought a '05 BA MKII XR6 Turbo, Black, Leather, Manual, 63371 km's for $27,000 drive away, very exciting.

Now I have what I hope will be one of the fastest N/A AU 6 Falcons in the country and a nice Turbo for daily duties
I predict a month of driving the XR6T around, until all plans of NA modding the AU further go down the drain!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #9
eXi7w0unD

jenkins u got pic of ur car and engine i wanna admire
Old 06-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I predict a month of driving the XR6T around, until all plans of NA modding the AU further go down the drain!
The xr6t might be faster once spooled up but on the street unspooled they are not so special.The track is a different story. I am finding it hard to let go of slight lump at idle for a car that doesnt appeal to the blokiness inside. Especially if I have to sit for a few seconds spooling the turbo so I dont get anhilated by na wagon six at the lights. Depending on what your planning to use it for I cant say the turbos are the king of the street in daily driving acceleration off the mark.

To be fair though..once boost cuts in thats when the power kicks in,,great for rolling start..not great for unspooled takeoffs

Old 06-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

turbos dont take long to spool at all... it hasnt been an issue...

Unless you're running a VL turbo with a truck turbo :P

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Falcon4L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #12
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
The xr6t might be faster once spooled up but on the street unspooled they are not so special.The track is a different story. I am finding it hard to let go of slight lump at idle for a car that doesnt appeal to the blokiness inside. Especially if I have to sit for a few seconds spooling the turbo so I dont get anhilated by na wagon six at the lights. Depending on what your planning to use it for I cant say the turbos are the king of the street in daily driving acceleration off the mark.

To be fair though..once boost cuts in thats when the power kicks in,,great for rolling start..not great for unspooled takeoffs
I don't want to turn this into one of those threads, but your car would stomp a standard XR6T off the line due to your hi-stall and diff gears, not brute NA power.

You have had some awesome achievements with your wagon, but at the end of the day it's a 14 sec car, which all XR6T's will do standard. Add some simple mods, and they're into 300+rwkw territory.

I for one can't see the logic in keeping a slower car as a weekend thrasher, when you've got a faster daily!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
redef

Quote:
I don't want to turn this into one of those threads, but your car would stomp a standard XR6T off the line due to your hi-stall and diff gears, not brute NA power.

You have had some awesome achievements with your wagon, but at the end of the day it's a 14 sec car, which all XR6T's will do standard. Add some simple mods, and they're into 300+rwkw territory.

I for one can't see the logic in keeping a slower car as a weekend thrasher, when you've got a faster daily!
im with ya one that 1 mate. throw money at the turbo not the au
redef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

I think tooo much hehehe

Old 07-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:

Too right, the terminal speed of these NA AU's tell the story, most of them are between 93mph and 98mph at best.
A standard XR6T has a terminal speed of over 100mph, many modified ones are well above 110mph.

Our little NA 6's might launch reasonable, but an XR6T they ain't.

Rick.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #16
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Because then you can thrash it without having to worry about getting to work monday.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
Because then you can thrash it without having to worry about getting to work monday.
Meh. I thrash my turbo'd EB every day of the week and it's been ultra reliable. Apart from it having an issue with wearing back tyres every month...

By that logic, I should buy a stock EA, and thrash that as a weekender