Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
ptwhite2003

Default Focus TDCI and towing

Cheers all,

A few times a year I have to tow a trailer full of books for a thousand kilometre round trip. The trailer and its load weigh about 1/2 tonne which is around the top end of the unbraked towing capacity of most small/medium cars. Currently I have a Subaru Forester which handles it okay, but due to lack of get-up-and-go overtaking is something you really have to plan before executing - you don't want to get caught out there in the overtaking lane with a 1/2 load waving around on the towball, should there be an emergency. Also, it chews the juice mercilessly.

So my question is, does the extra torque of a Focus TDCI (320Nm vs the Forester's 220Nm) automatically equate to a smoother towing experience? Will that extra torque be really useful when overtaking on the open road?

Something I haven't found out yet is what is the maximum towball downforce for the TDCI Focus?

I can't make an argument for buying a Focus TDCI based on economy alone (I only do about 12,000klm per year) but the towing aspect could be a clincher.

What should I expect to pay for one drive-away with the safety pack in Qld?

Thanks for any advice you guys have.

ptwhite2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwhite2003
Cheers all,

A few times a year I have to tow a trailer full of books for a thousand kilometre round trip. The trailer and its load weigh about 1/2 tonne which is around the top end of the unbraked towing capacity of most small/medium cars. Currently I have a Subaru Forester which handles it okay, but due to lack of get-up-and-go overtaking is something you really have to plan before executing - you don't want to get caught out there in the overtaking lane with a 1/2 load waving around on the towball, should there be an emergency. Also, it chews the juice mercilessly.

So my question is, does the extra torque of a Focus TDCI (320Nm vs the Forester's 220Nm) automatically equate to a smoother towing experience? Will that extra torque be really useful when overtaking on the open road?

Something I haven't found out yet is what is the maximum towball downforce for the TDCI Focus?

I can't make an argument for buying a Focus TDCI based on economy alone (I only do about 12,000klm per year) but the towing aspect could be a clincher.

What should I expect to pay for one drive-away with the safety pack in Qld?

Thanks for any advice you guys have.
hey pt,

I just checked for you with our tow bar supplier and they would provide us with a hayman/reese bolt on tongue that will tow 900kg braked and 90kg downforce which is pretty typical at 10% I haven't really towed with a TDCi before, but as you say the torque is massive in the TDCi and I think it will make it easier when you want to tow. I think your best bet is to drive a TDCi and see for yourself. They really do get up and go and are fun to drive. If you want I can get a price for you? Our dealership is currently advertising them if you want to check out Pacific Ford in the "sponsors" section. If you have any more questions just ask me.

Nathan.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
auslander

OK, this straight out of the focus brochure from Ford.

Towpack Standard 1,000kg rated(Manual) for the TDCi.

I paid $28,000 drive away with all the safety packs. Had to do a bit of haggling but thats par for the course. That was from Bremer Ford in Ipswich. I had to shop around and that dealer isn't all that close to me. But i go where the deal is best.

Id say it's a pretty safe bet that a diesel towing anything is going to do a better job than an equivalent sized petrol motor. The torque alone is a good indicator.

I personally wouldn't use a 4 cyl to tow anything, except for the shortest trip to the tip etc. But if i had to, i'd go a diesel for sure.
auslander is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
ptwhite2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslander

I personally wouldn't use a 4 cyl to tow anything, except for the shortest trip to the tip etc. But if i had to, i'd go a diesel for sure.
I would rather something more powerful for the job too, but for 99% of the year I only need something smaller, hence I thought I could kill two birds with one stone by getting the TDCI which is compact and economical around town yet hearty enough to tow the trailer a few times a year.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the diesel id doubt you'd notice the weight of the trailer.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
ptwhite2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
With the diesel id doubt you'd notice the weight of the trailer.
That's what I like to hear!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

You would not have a problem what-so-ever.TDCI has A great spread of Torque and a huge amount as well,also The relative mass of the vehicle in comparison to the trailer means stopping will not be an issue,no problem at all.Also there is more then enough ground clearence and suspension travel to compensate for the extra load inccured whilst towing.
Old 14-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
ptwhite2003

Default Test drove one today

Test drove one today - what a buzz from 2nd gear onwards!

It feels like it would have no problem with my towing requirements.

I find it doesn't seem as well put together as some Japanese (even Korean?) cars, and some plastics seemed a little flimsy for the job. How have you all found your Focus stands up to wear and tear? What's likely to break?

Cheers

ptwhite2003
Old 15-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Yes they are very ballsy. The build quality isn't the best, you might find a rattle or two but it's nothing that can't be fixed.

I've only had a few cosmetic issues with my car, nothing too seriously. Mechanically it has been solid, I've done 21,000km in mine now and it's nice and run in.
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not to sure how many ks the one you drove had on it but they free up even more over time, Mine has done 13000 now, I have only had two problems, loose scuff plate and my lower storage compartment clip has broken. Some of the plastics dont line up correctly but all in all the car is great. As turbodiesel said there are a few rattles here and there but nothing I really notice. The car is definitely worth the money and will tow without a problem in the world.
Old 25-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
wizamc

Hi

The manual does say that you can tow, but you shouldn't go past 4th gear when towing. In my experience that sounds about right considering the gear ratio's of 5th and 6th, but then its each to their own, but you won't have any problem overtaking under load.

I've just put my car in for it's 30,000 service (its got 32,000...bugger), and I haven't had any problems that I hadn't caused (I won't go into that now) except for a rattle from the exhaust/heat plate.
wizamc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Test drove one today - what a buzz from 2nd gear onwards!

It feels like it would have no problem with my towing requirements.

I find it doesn't seem as well put together as some Japanese (even Korean?) cars, and some plastics seemed a little flimsy for the job. How have you all found your Focus stands up to wear and tear? What's likely to break?

Cheers

ptwhite2003
Hey pt,

Check out our thread in the "sponsors" section. We are doing TDCi at silly prices!
Old 28-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
ptwhite2003

Default What a bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
Hey pt,

Check out our thread in the "sponsors" section. We are doing TDCi at silly prices!
Wow, that's cheaper than last week. I reckon if I wait until Christmas you'll give it to me for nothing!

Seriously, it's seems a great deal, but I still have to unload my Forester, which should be in the next week or two.
Old 30-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #14
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wow, that's cheaper than last week. I reckon if I wait until Christmas you'll give it to me for nothing!

Seriously, it's seems a great deal, but I still have to unload my Forester, which should be in the next week or two.
No pressure mate, just letting you know Who knows what they will be at Christmas!
Old 30-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #15
ptwhite2003

Default It's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
No pressure mate, just letting you know Who knows what they will be at Christmas!
Hi Barra - I didn't feel any pressure. In fact, I appreciate being kept in the loop.

Cheers