Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I hear they are fully vamped up to accept Ipod, touch Ipod and the Iphone as well

Cannot wait to get my Iphone into a car and see what the display is like.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
I hear they are fully vamped up to accept Ipod, touch Ipod and the Iphone as well

Cannot wait to get my Iphone into a car and see what the display is like.
Completely off topic however Laminge was it hard to get the iphone working here in Oz?

Raptor, I thought the trouble with fitting a Boss into a Terry AWD was that the front drive shaft would have needed to go through the oil pan of the V8...at least something to do with the bottom of the V8. IIRC, the Terry was never even engineered for a V8...so more likely $$$'s was the real reason, beacuse if you throw enough money at a problem it can be fixed.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Bigmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Completely off topic however Laminge was it hard to get the iphone working here in Oz?.

Not hard at all if all you want is 2.5G and not full functionality. N95 8gig is a better unit at the moment.
Bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmac
Not hard at all if all you want is 2.5G and not full functionality. N95 8gig is a better unit at the moment.

Pffft Iphone runs circle around n95, that piece of Swedish plastic doesn't stand a chance against the Iphone for function, software, beta software and usability.

and thats before its been officially released.

Had mine for awhile, to have the ability to take phone/music from home, to car, to office within one unit is great for me, depends what one wants though.

The smaller version of the iphone when released should be even better.

Edit..
Plus the new model has a plug and play that will run the iphone

Last edited by Laminge; 19-02-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 19-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Bigmac

Quote:
Pffft Iphone runs circle around n95, that piece of Swedish plastic doesn't stand a chance against the Iphone for function, software, beta software and usability.

Had mine for awhile, to have the ability to take phone/music from home, to car, to office within one unit is great for me, depends what one wants though.

Edit..
I will wait to they are 3G .... and when on the Australian market you are not restricted to 1 telco to utilise all the features .... which means it will be a very long time. Great concept, great unit .... Apple Marketing. I say that as someone that has only ever had Apples.
Old 19-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Elguapo
SY AWD Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
What the hell is an Iphone?
An Iphone is an over rated/over priced mobilephone/MP3 player from Apple. It is a typical Apple product in that it puts style before functionality.
Old 19-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
mytrini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elguapo
An Iphone is an over rated/over priced mobilephone/MP3 player from Apple. It is a typical Apple product in that it puts style before functionality.
Overrated, yes. Overpriced, yes. But I have to take issue with you last statement about style over functionality. As a switcher, I think the iPhone and most of Apples products are quite functional but expensive.

"The enemy of my friend is my enemy, my friend" - Andy Barker P.I.
mytrini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrini
Overrated, yes. Overpriced, yes. But I have to take issue with you last statement about style over functionality. As a switcher, I think the iPhone and most of Apples products are quite functional but expensive.
They pay for themselves... The money I just spent on an iMac has already been saved on not renewing Norton's on the Mrs's Dell.

Are any of the other Apple users on Leopard yet?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Bigmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
They pay for themselves... The money I just spent on an iMac has already been saved on not renewing Norton's on the Mrs's Dell.

Not on Leopard, probably won't upgrade on this machine, previous experience with Apple OS upgrades have left me happy to avoid till I buy a new machine.

PS: sorry for the off thread nature this is taking
Old 19-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
mytrini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I've done all my machines. Not overly impressed. Has made running Office Mac 2004 a pain. Agree with all your other comments BTW.

My apologies also for being sucked in to this off topic conversation...

Old 19-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
leighthebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmac
I will wait to they are 3G .... and when on the Australian market you are not restricted to 1 telco to utilise all the features .... which means it will be a very long time. Great concept, great unit .... Apple Marketing. I say that as someone that has only ever had Apples.
yep, there's a reason no-one buys these things in Oz. New technology around OLD phone technology. :
leighthebee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
Bigmac

Quote:
I've done all my machines. Not overly impressed. Has made running Office Mac 2004 a pain. Agree with all your other comments BTW.

Which is why Microsoft in a "surprise, surprise, surprise" moment brings out a new office a month later. If it works I don't mess to much with them apart from the upgrades you cannot afford to skip.

Apologies again :
Old 19-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #13
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Above posts split out from here; FG design implications for Territory
Old 19-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
mytrini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Raptor.

This is on my wishlist. If you are looking for something iPhonesque, you might want to consider the HTC Touch Cruise. Have a look at it here:

http://www.htc.com/product/03-produc...uch_cruise.htm

And you can buy it from here:

http://www.ow.com.au/shop/HTC/HTC-To...DPA-Touchphone

It probably doesn't have the same iPod like capabilities but I already have an iPod, so don't really care about that.

Old 19-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #15
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

iPhones are the only phones that actually excited me ( in the nicest way ) for a long time. I suggest that anyone that doesn't like them has a taste for slow hard to use junk. I plan on never buying another nokia etc unless they get their act together with regards to the UI and types of apps available. As for not being 3g, really who cares ? Data is too expensive in AU to make the most of it anyway.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Edit..
Nokia is actually Finnish.
mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 01:11 AM   #17
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:

I've only done it on my iMac - my G4 won't run it, and my PowerBook is almost at the end if its life.

I've got Office 2008, and I hate it. I've switched to iWork, which is much better, less bloated, and Keynote blows the crap out of PowerPoint.
Old 20-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #18
mytrini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've only done it on my iMac - my G4 won't run it, and my PowerBook is almost at the end if its life.

I've got Office 2008, and I hate it. I've switched to iWork, which is much better, less bloated, and Keynote blows the crap out of PowerPoint.
I've got Office 2008 on order. Not sure why it's taking so long to get here. Unfortunately all my windoze compatriots use Office, so I am tied to it. I know that they say iWork is compatible but I don't want to take the chance and I know the Office Suite, since I am a switcher. The only reason that I want Office 2008, is that it is universal and I think that my issues with Office 2004 stem from being PowerPC only.

The two reasons that I went for Leopard ended up being not what I had hoped for. Those being Time Machine and Spaces. I find Time Machine limiting as a backup service and Spaces is a good idea but it keeps switching desktops on me when something happens on another desktop, which is WAY annoying when you are in the middle of something.

Old 20-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #19
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
I've got Office 2008 on order. Not sure why it's taking so long to get here. Unfortunately all my windoze compatriots use Office, so I am tied to it. I know that they say iWork is compatible but I don't want to take the chance and I know the Office Suite, since I am a switcher. The only reason that I want Office 2008, is that it is universal and I think that my issues with Office 2004 stem from being PowerPC only.

The two reasons that I went for Leopard ended up being not what I had hoped for. Those being Time Machine and Spaces. I find Time Machine limiting as a backup service and Spaces is a good idea but it keeps switching desktops on me when something happens on another desktop, which is WAY annoying when you are in the middle of something.
I don't use Either Time Machine, or Spaces (or Dashboard), my Dock is 2D, and my Menu Bar opaque. You can turn spaces off - System Preferences, Expose and Spaces, Spaces, Enable Spaces. I tried it once, and decided it wasn't for me. As for your iWork worry, I've got a .docx file on my Desktop. Right Click, Open with Pages, and it opens. Still formatted correctly and all. Worst case scenario, Safari can open .docx files, as they are based on XML. Office '04 worked on my iMac C2D (2.4) fine. I guess I was lucky (and still using Tiger at the time).

I wanted Leopard for the Underneath stuff - Core Video, Audio, Animation and Image. It is marginally faster than Tiger on my aforementioned iMac.
Old 20-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #20
mytrini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wanted to have separation between my work desktop and my personal desktop, which is why I wanted to use spaces. Unfortunately, if I am in my personal desktop, say surfing and I get a work email, it automagically switches to the work desktop. That gets to be very annoying.

I might give the demo version of iWork a run then and see what it's like. I did download it months ago, now I just have to dig it up...

Old 20-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #21
jcxr
Tribal Elder

NANU NANU, come in earthlings.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #22
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ugh, i hate apple products, never liked them ever since i had to use Imacs in primary school.. i wont be buying an Iphone either, the touch pad will me off endlessly..

im perfectly happy with my sony ericsson K770i
up to 8g+of space, 3.2mp camera, easy to use buttons(not all tight together) and a great screen!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #23
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
ugh, i hate apple products, never liked them ever since i had to use Imacs in primary school.. i wont be buying an Iphone either, the touch pad will me off endlessly
When were you in High School? Apple has come a long way since the 90's and OS 8 and 9. Saying you didn't like Macs at School is like me saying I didn't like Windows when I was at Uni, when all we had was 3.1.1.

This thread won't become a Mac Bashing thread.
Old 20-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #24
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark180227
Well tickle me pink with a Swedish duster
Old 20-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #25
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
When were you in High School? .
Yesterday arvo as indicated by the censorship squash to put his post across by swearing!
Old 20-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #26
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

wait, are you serious?
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #27
mytrini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
ugh, i hate apple products, never liked them ever since i had to use Imacs in primary school.. i wont be buying an Iphone either, the touch pad will me off endlessly..

im perfectly happy with my sony ericsson K770i
up to 8g+of space, 3.2mp camera, easy to use buttons(not all tight together) and a great screen!
Thanks, happy to put you in the no bin. Moving on...

Old 20-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #28
AUsome
/////Alpine

Quote:

Edit..
Had mine since september last year and been running great on telstra network. Unlocked it and everything myself. Best phone i've ever had! And I thought i'd never buy an apple product!
AUsome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #29
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark180227
It was Erickson that was Swedish.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post