Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
jlef5

Default 91 Maverick (Patrol)

I'm buying a 91 model Ford Maverick (Nissan Patrol), Just wanting to know if they have any common faults, or design problems with them at all. Its the 4.2 diesel with 5 speed. Off an uncle of mine and knowing him it has been looked after. But before i buy just wanna know what problems i will face with it. Cheers

jlef5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, Patrols are at the top of the tree if your chasing something for majority of offroad use, if its mainly sticking to bitumen then not the best option. Pretty bullet proof truck all round, just most things need replacement due to wear and tear, get it checked by a mechanic before purchasing. Ask around at 4wd monthly or outerlimits forums to get advice from diehard owners of these rigs.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
jlef5

Yeah its gonna be an off road truck, planning a trip to cape york later this year thats why i'm purchasing it really. Thanks for your input mate.
Old 18-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a work one that was mercilesly thrashed for 265000Km around the NSW back country. The only problems I had were that the floor and firewall cracked under the accelerator pedal ( apparently a reasonably common problem and not too difficult to fix). The radiator sprung a leak and the fan clutch wore out and freewheeled.
Look at some new shocks, they really make a huge difference even over the stock ones with 40K on them. Similarly look at new springs and other general replacement items on a car of that age.
Mine had 15" rims as well with aftermarket flares which improved the ride over the 16" skinny Ford offerings.

Regards,
Tote
Old 18-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As above they are bullet proof.

If it's seen a bit of Ruff stuff as above cracks in the firewall/floor joint.

Springs are probably *&^%ed by now so just Fit a good set of Raised duty coils+ new shocks and you'll be good to go.

Motor will do 400,000+ K's without the need to put a spanner near it, the Gear box on the GQ vintage Patrols is big and way overbuilt, The rear LSD is a Top Unit, Baiscly for Bush work a GQ Patrol is about as tough as they come.
Old 18-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
irsa76
Snoopping

I think the biggest issues these days is the body. Check the rear doors where the spare wheel hangs off.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #7
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep rust would be the only issue with these things. My brothers got a 93 4.2 with 407000kms still going as good as new.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed with all the above posts. Mine was awsome. I had a TI only problem was when 4wding. you slid all around on the seats being leather :(

Other than that rust around the rear window quaters and in the channels. Good maintaince record. The running gear on them are awsome from factory and will need little attention!

Have fun they are awsome trucks!
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
jlef5

Cheers to everyone who has posted stuff so far. can't wait to get her.
Old 18-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #10
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

We've got a 1989 Ford Maverick in the 4.2 Diesel guise and I'll tell you what, its the most relaible car my families owned.

NEVER BREAKS DOWN..... EVER.
Old 19-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
FPV70

4.2 Diesel will easily turn till 700,000+ K's with out needing anything done they are tuff as.
If you want to turbo it, it will take it easy basically, just bolt it on and away you go.

They can do with a bit of extra lift over standard and a set of GU spring will fit nicely and give you 2 inch lift.
Make sure the body mounts at the front are ok, if not they are an easy fix.
another comon prob is the power steering leaks thats another easy fix.
just check all the other general check items like tierod ends, Approx $336 for a new one of these (just done mine).
sometimes can break a seat mount in the front seats.
they rattle a bit but will NOT fall apart.
the only other problem I saw was that I didn't buy mine soon enough. I love driving it and love the idea that if i see a dirt road somewhere and think I wonder where that goes, I can now find out.
4x4's are not just a vehicle, they are a Life style, Enjoy mate and happy 4x4ing.
Old 19-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
Fantome

As all have said before these things are nearly bulletproof.

Two things though;

The 4.2 diesel suffers more than most motors if you don't keep the oil changes up to it, every 5,000 k's and you will be rewarded with one of the most reliable and economical diesels out there

Look for signs of a roof rack being fitted. If so check for cracking around the top of the door pillars. This is the only slightly fragile part of the whole beast. If you got lots of gear, buy a decent off road trailer instead and dont worry about towing these things pull better than a 16 year old school boy
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
jlef5

Lol love the pulling comment. Yeah its from my uncle it has already 3 inch lift kit, just had both diffs rebuild,extractors and 2 and half exhaust. On a loaded car trip can get 9.5 kms per ltr and bit higher when towing. I have a trailer been made for me by step father and will be taking it where ever i can.
Old 19-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #14
bigdave87
Starter Motor

a mate of mine has one of these, and he supercharged it, and still had no worries with it. unsure of how much boost he was putting through it, but offroad, it kept up with a 350chev engined landcruiser.

we have an rb30 engined one, only problems being the rear panhard rod (a victim of some fairly vicious tracks) and a steering damper (not exactly a common problem, but a couple here and there say they've needed replacing. heavy duty units are available.)

you wont go wrong, their tuff as nails, will go anywhere. a pain to park in town tho.
Old 19-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
xw383

I've had a GQ petrol wagon and now have a GU diesel wagon. 1st thing to change are the standard rear trailing arms, they are thin walled and prone to bending. Buy some good 3rds engineering ones. 2nd thing is the steering arm also rather soft and prone to bending. Apart from these 2 items regular oil and air cleaner changes and you will be laughing.
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #16
dv8-01

rust around the sealant around doors,and check chassis for rust and inner qtr panels etc
check doors for sag etc
being a diesel and a manual you won't have too many hassles really with them.

just keep it maintained and if you plan on doing harder stuff always clean the mud off thoroughly as it kills alternators and starters and if snorkelled make sure its sealed cause any water gets into the engine your up for a rebuild on a diesel.

subtle suspension lift of 50mm and a nice set of maxxis bighorns in 33's would be all you'll need to have fun.
dv8-01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #17
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Question about these diesel engines, what sort of "real world" fuel economy do people get out of the 4.2 diesel in normal, on road driving?

Just curious, and maybe planning for the future...
Old 19-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #18
jlef5

My uncle claims on normal highway driving with 2 people and some stuff gets about 9km/lt or round about 12 ltr per hundred, but i am going off what he says.
Old 19-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #19
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogInASock
Question about these diesel engines, what sort of "real world" fuel economy do people get out of the 4.2 diesel in normal, on road driving?

Just curious, and maybe planning for the future...
Real world in mine, it never did much better than 20 mpg but it wasn't my fuel most of the time.
Regards,
Tote
Old 19-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #20
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I think you will find even the big 4.2ltr Diesel patrols are good on juice for there size, mu uncle has a bronze one and gets 750ks to a tank easily! Only thing i no of going wrong with these mechanically is being driven to hard for to long lol!, these things are all but bullet proof really, Nissan deserve a trophy for how well there cars are built mechanically wise! I have a pathfinder with 215,000 on it and the thing still pulls anything i load into her or onto the trailer, and loves getting dirty!!
Old 20-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #21
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

I get between 11.5 - 12.0 L/100k's out of my 4.2 diesel GQ Wagon. It is fitted with an aftermarket turbo though.
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #22
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Haven't got any figures for you, but my GQ trayback 4.2D seems to a go further dollar per dollar than my ED Fairmont 4.0.

Mind you, that could be because I generally let it lope along, whereas I tend to push the old Monty...

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #23
Ringo
I see you....

Gees I was all ready to post some pearls of wisdom about these beasts….and everyone has already covered it.

Sounds like a ripper….pics please.

The amount of aftermarket stuff for these things is limitless….
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #24
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an '89 Ford Maverick diesel, 5sp, 7 seater, I bought it in 1991 with 22,000 on clock, it has now done 210,000.

I turbo'd it 3 years ago for towing a camper trailer, best thing I could have done.

This is one serious good vehicle, if I ever need to sell it, it would be one very, very reluctant sale. :

The issues I have had, and I am scratching here:

* replaced clutch and pressure plate with a heavy duty ones at about 150,000
* replaced clutch slave cylinder
* replaced brake master cylinder
* replaced viscous coupling on fan
* replaced radiator overflow bottle
* there was a recall on the front-ends back in the early days (mine was fixed FOC)
* radial fuel pump needed a kit about 3 years ago when they changed the suplhur content of diesel

All the other costs have been normal wear and tear, e.g. brakes, injectors, etc.

On the question of fuel econonmy, we got about 20mpg on the trip from Shepp to W.A. and return, towing the camper, 10,000k's in 4 weeks (pre-turbo).

I was talking ot the Nissan dealer here and he was saying, they had one traded with 800,000 on the clock, original engine, was a bit rattly - but hey!!!

On the beach in S.E. W.A.

Last edited by Trevor 57; 21-02-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #25
351ciofgrunt
Go Hard or Go Home

If you need to change the clutch I've found that the 4Terrain are the best, its button clutch on one side and heavy duty on the other, never had a problem since I installed the 4Terrain!
351ciofgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #26
jlef5

Now that is a great photo Big Trev, thats what life is about. Thanks for the heads up people, once i get her i will put some photo's and stuff up.
Old 22-02-2008, 08:03 AM   #27
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I keep that pic as a desktop pic on my work laptop, to remind me of why I work - LOL
Old 22-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #28
jlef5

Yes i can relate to you there work can get very testing at times.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #29
jlef5

Ok people find out about the loan tomorrow should be ok i hope, and picking the carup on the weekend if all goes well, will post pics once i had some. Another question, its a 7 seater, can i just take the back seats out making it a 5 seater of is that illegal.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #30
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlef5
Ok people find out about the loan tomorrow should be ok i hope, and picking the carup on the weekend if all goes well, will post pics once i had some. Another question, its a 7 seater, can i just take the back seats out making it a 5 seater of is that illegal.
Sure can take the seats out i think it was only 4 - 6 bolts. Its not illegal.
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post