Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
Falcon87
Falcon Unbelievable

Default Green motors...

What diffrences are there between the Green Dedicated gas motors and the duel fuel set ups?

Which one gives more economy?

Which one gives more power?

Cheers

Falcon87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon87
What diffrences are there between the Green Dedicated gas motors and the duel fuel set ups?

Which one gives more economy?

Which one gives more power?

Cheers
Dedicated gas engines have the same bottom end as the XR6T. I'm not sure about the top end though. Hardened seats and such would have to be the go though.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Dedicated gas engines have the same bottom end as the XR6T. I'm not sure about the top end though. Hardened seats and such would have to be the go though.

GK
I thought the green engines were running higher compression, the xr6t's are lower then the n/a I6.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the au did not come out in a turbo AFAIK and all falcon I6 engines have gas suitable valve seats. a search of the parts database reveals that even the cam is the same. the engine itself is the same just the bits that bolt onto the inlet side are different and it has a green rocker cover. ask any mechanic and the will tell you that as LPG burns cleaner you get less oil contamination enhancing engine life so there is no need to "beef the engine up"
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

GK
Sorry George, the BA egas engines have beefier conrods than the petrol engines. These egas rods were then later used in the 'Phoon. The (BA) XR6T has the same conrods as NA petrol BA's. Otherwise as au3xr6 says, the stock AU valves & seats are up to the job for LPG.

When I got my gas put on I asked about valve saver, having previously put LPG with Flashlube on the Courier. The installer said I'd be wasting my money getting a valve lube system for the Falc due to the quality of metal in the valves & seats. Different story if I had a Commodore however... he converted & serviced a fleet of 45 taxis so should have had a bit of an idea.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the au did not come out in a turbo AFAIK and all falcon I6 engines have gas suitable valve seats. a search of the parts database reveals that even the cam is the same. the engine itself is the same just the bits that bolt onto the inlet side are different and it has a green rocker cover. ask any mechanic and the will tell you that as LPG burns cleaner you get less oil contamination enhancing engine life so there is no need to "beef the engine up"
Interestingly though if you go to our local monopoly Ford dealer and buy a remanufactured exchange head for an AU they ask whether you need gas spec or plain vanilla...
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 27-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I found this out also ... it also uses the same compression ratio as the petrol engines ... internally ... petrol and LPG AU motors are identical ... the intake side of things are different as mentioned ... AU EGAS has no injectors ports or rail ... and the throttle body is a one-piece throttlebody/mixer setup (don't ask what Ford want for a replacement ... it's hideous).

Only B-series petrol and EGAS engines were different. Also as mentioned.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 02:17 AM   #8
Falcon87
Falcon Unbelievable

Thanks guys for the help! Im just looking into purchusing a egas AU2 wagon and wanted to know a couple of things!

Cheers!
Falcon87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

While on the subject of egas etc, has anyone ever seen or heard of an egas being converted to dual fuel by adding in the petrol system? Would be an ironic conversion, I reckon.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
THORNSPAWN
In the Forced 'lane

AU Egas have different valves than standard. Bottom ends are the same.
THORNSPAWN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
and the throttle body is a one-piece throttlebody/mixer setup (don't ask what Ford want for a replacement ... it's hideous).

$3700 installed! But it would pay to shop around...mine was done under warranty about 2 weeks after i got it..buy the same dealer who point blank refused to come to terms with the fact he couldn't possibly have serviced my automatic transmission as my ute is a manual.
Old 31-12-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

FTG just got an EGAS AUII ute in ... and parts are cheap from it ... best to speak to Darren if you want anything on the LPG side of things off this ute.
Old 31-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #13
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
... and the throttle body is a one-piece throttlebody/mixer setup
Is this less restrictive than a mixer ring shoved down the petrol throttle body?

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 31-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Nah ... same setup ... just a one-piece item.
It's more an oval than a circle as well.
I have no pics of it though.
Old 25-04-2011, 02:53 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Green motors...

interesting thread, i thought i`d do some thread mining , as i have just been given an Au dedicated gas long motor to do up, i was thinking an egas motor with bigger rods would be a nice basis for a warm xr6 motor .......after reading the au gas rods are standards.....oh well it was just an idea :( , my next thought i`m wondering how much difference there is with the ba gas rods to the standard ba rods and the au rods, will ba rods fit the au engine? i probably won`t chase it, but i`m interested to know the difference.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Green motors...

Weird. An LPG-integrated throttle body shouldn't cost more than $200 in parts. In terms of installation, it's a simple bolt off, bolt on job.

As for the B-series, the BA E-gas engine has a higher compression ratio than the petrol engine, but with the BF, the petrol engine was upgraded with the same high compression ratio to bring the power up from 182kW to 190kW. The net result is no real-world advantage to the green motor. The only difference therefore is the stronger connecting rods, only installed due to the risk of backfire from the mixer-style LPG system.