Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
no1else
Starter Motor

Default PMP print

Hey, ive just returned from a job interview with the company PMP printing or otherwise known as griffin press. my question, is this company a big company or just a little SA run business interested to read responses maybe even someone on here works for them and if so is it a good place to work.

no1else is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Are you a printer by trade?

I finished my apprenticeship in January this year, and part of it was we did a tour of Griffin Press back when they were in their old factory. They do web offset don't they? And books/binding?

I work with a few blokes that used to work there, they said it was OK, but that was a few years ago now and in the old factory in Netley. I think they are up north in Sailsbury/Elizabeth nowdays?

I don't know if that is any help to you or not...
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
no1else
Starter Motor

Thanks for the quick reply man and yea it does help,, the interviw was 4 a job more in logistics side of things im still trying to decide if this is a field i wont to enter as iam not to sure if it's a big field with lots of jobs within it.
no1else is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I'm pretty sure they handle all of the Woolworths/Safeway catalogues.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
TadKa
Wait? What?

PMP are pretty big in Tas. Thats about all I know. The Gf is a graphic designer and drags me along to the Pica awards and you always hear Pmp this Pmp that. But they may have possibly changed to Geon. but that may be someone else.... quite a useless post really.. sorry about that.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 12:21 AM   #6
AusM
AusMotorsport

Have you Googled them? Hope you did before your interview! 3000+ staff, Aus/NZ - they're not just some little Adelaide company!
http://www.pmplimited.com.au/
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
alstar5

PMP is Australasia's largest commercial printer.

LOL, Can't beleive you didn't do a bit of research on this market leader.
2014 - 2014: AUII Futura SR
2015 - 2015: Kawasaki Ninja 650RL
2016 - 2016: Kawasaki Ninja 300
2018 - 2018: VZ Holden Commodore
2019: FG G6 Falcon
alstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
Are you a printer by trade?

I finished my apprenticeship in January this year, and part of it was we did a tour of Griffin Press back when they were in their old factory. They do web offset don't they? And books/binding?

I work with a few blokes that used to work there, they said it was OK, but that was a few years ago now and in the old factory in Netley. I think they are up north in Sailsbury/Elizabeth nowdays?

I don't know if that is any help to you or not...
where do you work mate.

i've been a printer for 13yrs now with newstyle. not the worst job in the world but i could think of plenty of easier ways to earn a living.

five star now occupy the old griffin building.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #9
MOTIV8
Just cruizin' around.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1else
....... is this company a big company or just a little SA run business .........
No1else, believe me it is not a little comapny as others have said as we have offices in every state and Plants in WA, SA, Vic(2), NSW (2), Qld & NZ and we have just bought another printing company in Sunshine. PMP are a diverse company offering printing services from Books such as Griffin Press through to magazines, catalogues and printing of the Yellow & White Pages for all of Australia and some overseas versions through to Graphic Repo stuff as well.

It cant be too bad a company, I have been here for 15 1/2 years now based in Victoria, started as a casual and then did a bookbinding apprenticeship and now travelling around Australia putting in a new MRP system.
MOTIV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1else
Thanks for the quick reply man and yea it does help,, the interviw was 4 a job more in logistics side of things im still trying to decide if this is a field i wont to enter as iam not to sure if it's a big field with lots of jobs within it.

If you are going into logistics you will find there are a metric a$$ load of jobs in many and varied industries.

Every industry uses a logistic department to move their product. Just ask the guys in 'The Truck Thread' in the bar section
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

one of my bosses used to work at griffin press about 10 yrs ago. he is pretty well known in the industry for all the wrong reasons. we affectionately refer to him as 'the ferret'. i'm sure there's some people round who know who i'm talking about.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #12
jonk

I used to work at the Netley site. Yeah, it's offset stuff, the printers are the old News Corp one's that came from the underground printing press room in the old building at King William Street. It's a good company but they had a lot of turnover in casual labour while I was there.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTIV8
No1else, believe me it is not a little comapny as others have said as we have offices in every state and Plants in WA, SA, Vic(2), NSW (2), Qld & NZ and we have just bought another printing company in Sunshine. PMP are a diverse company offering printing services from Books such as Griffin Press through to magazines, catalogues and printing of the Yellow & White Pages for all of Australia and some overseas versions through to Graphic Repo stuff as well.

It cant be too bad a company, I have been here for 15 1/2 years now based in Victoria, started as a casual and then did a bookbinding apprenticeship and now travelling around Australia putting in a new MRP system.

Yes and the have a fierce FIREWALL too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to work for PMP Digital. Pay and conditions were ok but nothing special, still you could do far worse than them.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 03:47 AM   #15
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we deliver inks and paper to pmp in perth , i work in road transport

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #16
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was/am a prepress trades man (scanner, graphic repro, page layout), but been out of the industry for years, worked for importer of prepress stuff (scanners, imagesetters) for a while. PMP were a big customer.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #17
MOTIV8
Just cruizin' around.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
Yes and the have a fierce FIREWALL too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sometimes it can be a bit too precious......
MOTIV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post