Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
5L
[ 5L ]

Default leaking power steering line.

i put my new cd player in saturday, moved my car from the carport. and noticed there was a puddle of power steering fluid on the ground. so i took the engine cover off, and the top line of the power steering pump has fluid seeping out of it.

im not to sure on the setup, does it have a rubber seal that might of had it, or am i in for a decent bill for the repair. its on the join where the line connects to the pump.

anyone have any ideas?

cheers AUXR8220.

[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
5L
[ 5L ]

all is good, took it down today bloke said the floating seal has gone in it. gets fixed tomorrow and its not costly at all. he said id get change for $40, and most of that was for labour and fluid.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Pretty common issue on the AU's and its usually fixed by replacing the entire line. good to hear youve got out of it a bit cheaper than that!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Yep having my line replaced tomorrow, my mechanic has told me about $130. Problem is before I knew it was leaking it has gone on the alternator, its still good but now takes about 30 seconds to get up to 14-15 volts so probably best to replace it in the near future unless it can dry out, damage is done though.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo_xrsx_oO
Yep having my line replaced tomorrow, my mechanic has told me about $130. Problem is before I knew it was leaking it has gone on the alternator, its still good but now takes about 30 seconds to get up to 14-15 volts so probably best to replace it in the near future unless it can dry out, damage is done though.
You should be able to spray copious amounts of WD40 into the alternator to chase the PS fluid out. WD40 is compatible with electrical components, PS fluid is not.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
You should be able to spray copious amounts of WD40 into the alternator to chase the PS fluid out. WD40 is compatible with electrical components, PS fluid is not.
Cheers for that JC may give it a go when the line is replaced. I had thought of this briefly but was reluctant in case I stuffed it completely. Looking foward to stop having to wipe the PS line each night.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #7
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My power steering is leaking too, right below the filter. The car dealer has been dancing around fixing it (and two other oil leaks) since I bought the car. Grrr
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
tobiasm
Starter Motor

I had problems with this a few months ago, but by the time i figured what was happening the alternator was shot.

The problem with mine was that the O ring at the back of the pump to the line had deteriorated. I ordered a new one through the automotive joint down the road for about $3. Problem solved, for a little while at least. I noticed last night that it was leaking again, went to the shop to pick up another ring but they dont stock them anymore. Im not sure if it was a for genuine part or not, maybe that was why it failed so quickly.
tobiasm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My alternator failed as a result of the PS line too ... it's a common issue.
I think mine is leaking again ... but looks like its the teflon O-ring in the back of the reservoir though ... so will get another one and replace that and see how it goes.

It's only weeping at the moment ... no drips.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
if you follow that up By pouring heaps of metho through the alternator it will remove the oily residue of the wd 40 and leave it clean and dry but don't start the car for a couple of hours till the metho drys out or it will start a fire. also do it on a warm but not hot engine ( just warm to the touch you should be able to keep you hand on it) this will dry it quicker
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post