Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
perrys

Default Top Gear: Nissan GT-R vs. Ferrari 430 Scuderia

http://www.topgear.com/content/magflash/0108/

"The GT-R hasn't just moved the goalposts, it's obliterated them."

"For all-round ability, I have no doubt the Nissan is the best car I have ever driven."

"The GTR turns in beautifully, whether neutral or under brakes, and grips forever - slippery surfaces seem to bring out the best in it. Time after time I left Turner (911 Turbo) behind as my four-wheel-drive system and traction control worked better out of wet corners - it wasn't just the fact that I could get on the power earlier. It was about confidence. The Nissan really is something special, and you get the impression that while a master driver could wring every last ounce of performance out of the 911, your mother could do the same in the GT-R..........................Does the Nissan's ability reduce the driving pleasure? Not at all. You can turn all the systems off if you so choose, and it's still supremely well balanced, no doubt a delight for a racing driver on a track."

perrys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

It's awesome that Nissan have been able to make such a very, very good car. If I was older, and even if I didn't have the money I would sell the house, move into a box of flats and buy one. Now, I wonder how good a Nismo one would be.....

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
wados

well its about time they did it again, just like in the late 80's when the gtr 32 first came out, iy was he best back then.

Now i just have to sell the house sell the car, and convince the wife its all for a good cause
Old 01-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFella
It's awesome that Nissan have been able to make such a very, very good car. If I was older, and even if I didn't have the money I would sell the house, move into a box of flats and buy one. Now, I wonder how good a Nismo one would be.....
Nismo GT-R Z-Tune sounds great. But imagine if MiNE's get their hands on the new GT-R.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
Nismo GT-R Z-Tune sounds great. But imagine if MiNE's get their hands on the new GT-R.
That would be nice
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

wont have to imagine for too much longer - Companies like HKS and Greddy used to get pre production cars to start making engine parts for them earlier. I cant wait to see just how much quicker it will be than the old one.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I think I read that it does the 1/4 mile in 11.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

nice !!!!

on the next top gear episode, doesnt he also drive the new Vauxhal VE VXR8 ???
Old 01-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the verdict? If your married take the Nissan if not the Ferrari will still get you plenty more
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #10
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Meh, the GT-R may be really fast and handle really well but it doesn't look that great IMO...especially when compared to the F430.

The Scuderia's 4.3L NA V8 now makes 510hp@8500rpm, that's just incredible... bloody awesome work by Ferrari once again.

Compare that to the 3.8L TT in the GT-R which only makes 473hp.

I wonder if Jeremy's gonna sell his Gallardo Spyder now and get one of these F430 Scuderia's...if you ask me, he should have kept his Ford GT...much better car than the V10 Gallardo.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 11:30 PM   #11
austyphoon

I have found a thread with the review against the porsche.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/87...r-article.html

bit small but you can read the article.
austyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2007, 01:40 AM   #12
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
he should have kept his Ford GT...much better car than the V10 Gallardo.
haha would have been, when it worked properly, and when Ford werent calling him to say that his car he was driving at the time was stolen and was about to be shut down :
Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #13
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha that was funny when he was ranting about what's wrong with his Ford GT.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #14
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

I was personally connected to the Dolomite Sprint, it was even the same colour as mine...brought back memories.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #15
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
haha would have been, when it worked properly, and when Ford werent calling him to say that his car he was driving at the time was stolen and was about to be shut down :
yeh I think he just got a lemon GT...he should have just sold it and got another one or something...what's so great about his Gallardo? (pronounced Gayardo )

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 02-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #16
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
Or Top Secret!! I'm eagerly waiting for Smokey to post some vids of himself in the new GTR on youtube. (rumour has it he got arrested?)

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #17
GT-E

I am glad that Top Gear think it is an awsome car. You could buy 3+ GTR's for the cost of the F430, so it shows the true value of them.
It is a pity we have to wait another 15 months before we see them here.
Nissan are still very cagy about who will be able to sell them.
My dealer does not know if they will even be able to sell me a car. They had to send all the orders to Melbourne.
Feels weird ordering a car that has no details about specs, pricing or delivery.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #18
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
I wonder if Jeremy's gonna sell his Gallardo Spyder now and get one of these F430 Scuderia's...if you ask me, he should have kept his Ford GT...much better car than the V10 Gallardo.
Depends on how you define better. His Ford GT was very unreliable. In fact, on Top Gear he mentioned that he had never made a full round trip in it. Go somewhere, but not be able to come back...

The Audi-developed Gallardo doesn't do that. And they're very similar performers (competitors whilst the GT was in production) anyway.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=459a81146aa04

As you can see based on the track times, they're pretty close....

And if you replace the Gallardo Spyder that Jeremy has with its Coupe sister...

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=4585764d0f9c7

Its even closer, with majority of track victories going Gallardo's way. Then of course there's the Gallardo SE (which shares its engine with the Spyder... and has 513hp to the regular Gallardo Coupe's 493hp - Ford GT is 550.) If you look at thatone...

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=459a99408d99e

Consistantly beats the GT on lap times. Ford GT is a typically American car. It has the acceleration and top end to play with the likes of the Ferrari Enzo, Porsche Carrera GT, Pagani Zonda F etc... but it does not have the braking or cornering ability to even compare. Case in point it's 7:42 on the Nurburgring against the 7:28 and 7:27.82 of the Carrera GT and Zonda F respectively.

Anyway on to topic, I really like the new GT-R. Its a top car. And I'm the guy who hates Jap crap. Except the GT-R is about as Japanese as a meat pie and sausage roll. American derived chassis, French engine, German gearbox, German AWD, tuned and set-up on a German race-track. Love the direction Renault is taking Nissan.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #19
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Meh, the GT-R may be really fast and handle really well but it doesn't look that great IMO...especially when compared to the F430.

The Scuderia's 4.3L NA V8 now makes 510hp@8500rpm, that's just incredible... bloody awesome work by Ferrari once again.

Compare that to the 3.8L TT in the GT-R which only makes 473hp.

dont worry about the looks mate, just wait until Veilside have a go at it!

forget MiNES, wait for tommy kaira and Top Secret!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #20
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

Anyway on to topic, I really like the new GT-R. Its a top car. And I'm the guy who hates Jap crap. Except the GT-R is about as Japanese as a meat pie and sausage roll. American derived chassis, French engine, German gearbox, German AWD, tuned and set-up on a German race-track. Love the direction Renault is taking Nissan.
it may have foreign parts(mostly) but only the japs.. nissan could create such a monster.. and for only $160,000!! if i had kids id sell them for one!.. give me a few years and ill own one.. after i turn 25.. lol.. imagine insurance on one if you were under 25 :P
Old 04-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #21
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
it may have foreign parts(mostly) but only the japs.. nissan could create such a monster.. and for only $160,000!! if i had kids id sell them for one!.. give me a few years and ill own one.. after i turn 25.. lol.. imagine insurance on one if you were under 25 :P
You do know the level of involvement of French, German and American engineers in this project was massive don't you? This car is as Japanese as a Big Mac. That's why it's so good!

:
Old 04-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #22
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehe.. i cannot wait to see one screaming up the F3
Old 04-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #23
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Cosworth tuned engine
Lotus tuned suspension

Pure gold
Old 04-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #24
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
I am glad that Top Gear think it is an awsome car. You could buy 3+ GTR's for the cost of the F430, so it shows the true value of them.
It is a pity we have to wait another 15 months before we see them here.
Nissan are still very cagy about who will be able to sell them.
My dealer does not know if they will even be able to sell me a car. They had to send all the orders to Melbourne.
Feels weird ordering a car that has no details about specs, pricing or delivery.
This is actually good news, it means that GT-Rs will be importable from the time it is available in Japan and not here.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #25
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You do know the level of involvement of French, German and American engineers in this project was massive don't you? This car is as Japanese as a Big Mac. That's why it's so good!
Frech and American engineers? How does that make it good :nutsycuck
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #26
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
Frech and American engineers? How does that make it good :nutsycuck
Maybe the French took care of the exterior design and the Yank's put a cup holder on the dash

Old 04-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #27
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Maybe the French took care of the exterior design and the Yank's put a cup holder on the dash
The French made the engine (Renault V6 from the Vel satis) and own the company making the car (Renault owns Nissan).

The original chassis design comes from the USA, as it does for the 350Z and V35 Skyline (aka. Infiniti G35). They then stuck in a German gearbox and AWD, set the car up on a German track and called it a GT-R.

:
Old 04-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #28
XR8putts

Quote:
Oh who gives a toss?

We consider the Falcon to be Australian don't we? Yet it has a German gearbox (new auto) with an American engine (Boss), everything needs to be cleared with the American bigwigs, the BA designer worked for Audi or something and so it continues.

The Nissan Skyline is a Japanese car. It is built in Japan by Japenese looking men and women. Give credit where it's due FFS. Is there any car company in the world that dosn't use overseas resources? Your beloved German cars are tested all over the world, does this make them less German because they didn't spend all their time testing on the Nurburg Ring? Ofcourse not!
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #29
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Oh who gives a toss?

We consider the Falcon to be Australian don't we? Yet it has a German gearbox (new auto) with an American engine (Boss), everything needs to be cleared with the American bigwigs, the BA designer worked for Audi or something and so it continues.

The Nissan Skyline is a Japanese car. It is built in Japan by Japenese looking men and women. Give credit where it's due FFS. Is there any car company in the world that dosn't use overseas resources? Your beloved German cars are tested all over the world, does this make them less German because they didn't spend all their time testing on the Nurburg Ring? Ofcourse not!
It doesn't matter where the car is built to credit its origins. My beloved German cars are DEVELOPED AND DESIGNED by Germans. The V35 Skyline, 350Z and GT-R were NOT developed and designed by Japs. They were done by people from all over the shop, with different things coming from different places. They're not Japanese cars anymore.

And in case you haven't noticed, I'm saying its a good thing. If it was solely developed by Jap people it would be a profit-based cost-cut soulless, heartless car which flops at competeing with the cars it is now able to. Like most cars they make are, with the exception of a select few.

:
Old 04-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #30
XR8putts

Quote:
It doesn't matter where the car is built to credit its origins. My beloved German cars are DEVELOPED AND DESIGNED by Germans. The V35 Skyline, 350Z and GT-R were NOT developed and designed by Japs.
Yes, you're right. Shiro Nakamura, head designer, is not Japanese at all. Can't believe you're claiming the Nissan GTR is not Japanese. Which magazine did you steal that opinion from?
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post