Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default twenty20 world cup

not sure how many cricket fans are on here but thought i'd post up some comments anyway. 20/20 not really for the purists anyway.

in the game last night, england v india, indian batsman youvraj singh hit reached 50 in 12 balls (58 off 16). hit 6 6's in one over. thats a record 50 that will take some beating.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Damn.
I really like 20/20 cricket. Itll catch on, just like one dayers did.
Old 20-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

That first six was HUGE, just watched it on youtube.
Old 20-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
not sure how many cricket fans are on here but thought i'd post up some comments anyway. 20/20 not really for the purists anyway.

in the game last night, england v india, indian batsman youvraj singh hit reached 50 in 12 balls (58 off 16). hit 6 6's in one over. thats a record 50 that will take some beating.
Holy bloody hell 6 6's is massive, gotta find this on youtube.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
SBR_1
soon to be a McDonald :D

Who saw the girl Ponting go down the other night.hahaha.Sorry i thought it was funny
Old 20-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Just had a watch of that, what an awesome over. That might teach Flintoff not to mouth off at batsmen just before they go in.
Old 20-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

here's a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bob85WbW8cU&NR=1

they're not just clearing the rope but going way back. awesome stuff.
Old 20-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Not for the purists but 6 in 6 is still quite an effort, regardless of the mockery they're making out of the game. :P
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #9
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR_1
Who saw the girl Ponting go down the other night.hahaha.Sorry i thought it was funny
One of the best batsmen ever and one of our greatest captains. He is also a really nice guy in real life - that comment is extremely harsh and pretty childish.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 11:24 PM   #10
XR8putts

Don't mess with India - I prefer the ODIs but I must admit, this 20Twenty World Cup has been very exciting indeed.

India to take on SA later this morning. A win by India will knock NZ out - I'm torn!
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Great to see Australia SMASH Sri Lanka tonight. Biggest win in twenty/20 I have seen yet.
Old 21-09-2007, 12:20 AM   #12
SBR_1
soon to be a McDonald :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
One of the best batsmen ever and one of our greatest captains. He is also a really nice guy in real life - that comment is extremely harsh and pretty childish.
I was only playing
Old 21-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #13
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a fan of microwave cricket. Good to see the over of 6's.

Good to see it catch on and the fast pace n all. Whats next though? Tip n run? One bounce one hand?

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods

Good to see it catch on and the fast pace n all. Whats next though? Tip n run? One bounce one hand?
I'm not really a fan of it either but I understand the need for it. With attendences at grounds well down on what they used to be they needed something fast paced, exciting and short that would draw the crowds and attract people to the game. Anything that helps the game in the long run has to be a step in the right direction.
Old 21-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #15
rodderz

Quote:

A one-off tippeties comp would be quite humurous, imagine the slog fest going on in that setup.

Of course, you'de have to have last man tucker too
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

Bowling team has to chug a beer for every wicket, batting team has to chug a beer for every 6 they hit.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #17
xr8-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Don't mess with India - I prefer the ODIs but I must admit, this 20Twenty World Cup has been very exciting indeed.

India to take on SA later this morning. A win by India will knock NZ out - I'm torn!
Your lucky, India flogged SA by enough that they are out and NZ goes through.
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #18
Bosman
T Series Club Member No24

6 sixes is bl00dy good in any form of the game. Ive played ALOT of good cricket and the timing /luck to do this is awesome. My best.....4 sixes 2 fours. Even then i was a legend but only for the day!

FTe Venom T3TE50 No229 5.6L Manual Don't drive one! Because like so many others , including ME , you will become TOTALLY addicted.

2016 Harley Davidson Softail Heritage customized.
Dead set gorgeous!
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #19
WOLF
Track Red XY

20/20 is the worst thing for cricket ever.......Just think of all the young kids watching this circus of a game, how many do you think will want to be bowlers????? NONE!!! I hope this 20/20 millionaire backyard game dies off soon...
test cricket or nothin...bring on summer
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #20
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I absolutely love Test cricket, Twenty20 brings a new audience to cricket that might not have even previously watched one-dayers. I enjoy it for what it is - a bit of fun and a bash around. Not sure if it will be detremental to cricket in the long run, but so long as over summer we still get lots of tests and one-dayers, Twenty20 just gives me more cricket to watch overall, and I'm not going to complain about that
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #21
fairBA
Banned

Maybe the 20/20 format will generate money for crickets development (and profile) in the lesser developed countries. In 5-10 years or so, maybe Counties like Aus, England, SA and NZ may find much closer competition in the 50 over and test level from teams we that we don't currently have a serious thought about lossing to. This 20/20 does seem to level the playing feild and thats got to be good in the long run for the game in any format. I don't mind watching the 20/20 games, but I could not care less if we were sent home last night. Good tv, not doing much for our game, but how good would the ZIm team feel after beating us by 5 wickets, normaly this would be unheard of.

GO THE COWBOYS
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #22
gunbound
Starter Motor

20/20 is a good game but i think its just all based on luck and that any team can win. But i like that the aussies now have some competition.
gunbound is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
I'm not really a fan of it either but I understand the need for it. With attendences at grounds well down on what they used to be they needed something fast paced, exciting and short that would draw the crowds and attract people to the game. Anything that helps the game in the long run has to be a step in the right direction.
i'm hoping it doesn't have a negative effect. how do you think the people that have been attracted to the game through this style of cricket will react when they go to their first test match. its a totally different game. not many big hits in some tests. couple of runs one over, maiden the next. they'll be so used to the big hitting, fast scoring exhibition they'll be bored silly and leave.

hopefully i'm wrong.
Old 21-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #24
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Love watching 20/20.

Test cricket became too stale for me, and one day cricket was heading in the same direction.
Old 21-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #25
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

bah, all 20/20 is, is glorified backyard cricket with 30,000 odd spectators
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #26
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's actually quite refreshing and seeing Sri Lanker hit 260 of 20 overs & the Indian cricketer hit 6 sixs in an over, very exciting stuff. Being a batsman a little while ago now im loving it. Brett Lee's hatrick was top stuff also. Im loving this T20 world cup. But for the uneducated that reckon it spell's the death of test cricket (pull your head in).
At the end of the day give me an Ashes test @ Adelaide Oval anyday.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).

Last edited by MoreHPformyXR6; 21-09-2007 at 08:09 PM.
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #27
Lumpen Proletariat

I think Peter Roebuck summed it up pretty well.

Action Galore but a game without Soul.

If you want a game where the whole point is to listen to loud music, watch everything be smacked out of the park and participate in the purchasing of merchandise, then the Yanks have a sport called Baseball that you should look into.

The 50 overs version barely features enough up and down and this 20/20 carryon is just a single pace, very fast. Sure it's exciting but its also incredibly banal. I will remember Gilchrist's century at the WACA against England for many, many years. Yet even now I am struggling to remember what countries were playing when some bloke hit six 6's in an over in 20/20, let alone who said bloke was.

Cricket is a much more nuanced game than this. Test matches contain so much in the way of tactics and mind games over the ebb and flow of a match it's almost a disservice to the real game to call this childish pajama game 'Cricket'

Lumpy

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #28
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpen Proletariat
I will remember Gilchrist's century at the WACA against England for many, many years. Yet even now I am struggling to remember what countries were playing when some bloke hit six 6's in an over in 20/20, let alone who said bloke was.

Lumpy
Gilchrist 100 @ the WACA in an Ashes test in 56 balls was amazing.

That Indian bloke with the 6 sixs in an over was Yuvraj Singh.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 03:07 AM   #29
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpen Proletariat
I think Peter Roebuck summed it up pretty well.

Action Galore but a game without Soul.

If you want a game where the whole point is to listen to loud music, watch everything be smacked out of the park and participate in the purchasing of merchandise, then the Yanks have a sport called Baseball that you should look into.

The 50 overs version barely features enough up and down and this 20/20 carryon is just a single pace, very fast. Sure it's exciting but its also incredibly banal. I will remember Gilchrist's century at the WACA against England for many, many years. Yet even now I am struggling to remember what countries were playing when some bloke hit six 6's in an over in 20/20, let alone who said bloke was.

Cricket is a much more nuanced game than this. Test matches contain so much in the way of tactics and mind games over the ebb and flow of a match it's almost a disservice to the real game to call this childish pajama game 'Cricket'

Lumpy
And that sums up the great game perfectly. Nothing will ever come close to a test, the planning (making sure you have the time off and enough beer), the excecution (making sure the missus doesn't want you to mow the lawns or some other menial rubbish around the house) and the joy, sitting in front of the TV for 5 days drinking beer and generally being a slob.
Old 22-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #30
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
bah, all 20/20 is, is glorified backyard cricket with 30,000 odd spectators
But backyard cricket rocks!
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post