Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #1
NigelB
Starter Motor

Angry AU Door won't close

AU 1999 Ford Fairmont Rear passenger side door won't close.

Had to gaff tape it closed to get home 200km.

Has anyone had this problem and how was it fixed?

NigelB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

any problems with the child lock overriding the door lock? otherwise it sounds like something is broken on the inside. I heard AU's can have problematic door handles.
Old 14-09-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
NigelB
Starter Motor

Thanks I plan to pull it apart in the morning. The door handle has no resistance so you could be right.
Old 14-09-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Inner or outer door handle? Dont forget to take pics of the problem for the rest of us
Old 15-09-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

When I replaced my central locking actuator, I accidentally bent the rod for the external door handle. When I put the door back together, door wouldn't close, unless you lifted the external door handle up and then let go, and then closed. Just bent the rod back, and all good now.

Don't know if that's any help to you though! Be careful with that door taped up too, wouldn't want to be driving it much, they still can fly open with a bit of cornering force!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
NigelB
Starter Motor

Default Fixed

Pulled the door apart and removed the locking mechanisim. Once it was out it seemed to work fine, although the Child lock seemed to be difficult to alter.

Once moved the whole thing seemed to work correctly. I re assembled it and tested it at various stages.

It now works fine. I assume that that the child lock was the cause, but I can't confirm it.

The only down side is that when I removed the Gaff tape it took the clear duco off with it in some spots. I didn't count on this. Bugger!
Old 24-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Mack32
Starter Motor

Hey Nigel,

Ive got a similar problem with my Fairmont, when i took the rear door trim off and had a look a white clip had come away from a bar, (yes thats technical) clipped it back on an hey presto, door opens. I still have the issue with the child lock not moving. Did you find a fix to yours? I still cant move it, im getting sick of letting people out of my car. hahahaha

Mack.
Old 24-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
NigelB
Starter Motor

I had this issue about a year ago, I managed to fix it but I don't know what the problem was.

All I did was dismantle the door lock and re assembled it and it worked fine until I traded it in last Xmas.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers

Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack32
Hey Nigel,

Ive got a similar problem with my Fairmont, when i took the rear door trim off and had a look a white clip had come away from a bar, (yes thats technical) clipped it back on an hey presto, door opens. I still have the issue with the child lock not moving. Did you find a fix to yours? I still cant move it, im getting sick of letting people out of my car. hahahaha

Mack.