Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-06-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Review in Australia - Fiesta XR4

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2701841.aspx

There is on particular sentence in there that makes me think I made the right decision ;)

Even still, great review for the little baby Ford! Great work Ford on finally bringing us a great Hot Hatch!

:

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 02:31 AM   #2
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04

There is on particular sentence in there that makes me think I made the right decision ;)

Even still, great review for the little baby Ford! Great work Ford on finally bringing us a great Hot Hatch!

:
OOh yes! One sentence in particular about the agressiveness of a certain comparable car....... Guess I did make the correct decision hehe.

Nice find Teki ;) And a good review of the Fantastic XR4

Still, and I know I keep sayin this; The XR4 looks THE GOOOOOOODS!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

"On smooth bitumen you can pitch the little Ford into corners at quite elevated speeds and, if needs be, tighten your line with a quick lift of throttle. That said, it's not as aggressively responsive as, say, a Renault Clio Sport."

Hahahahah fair enough. Wow what a great review. " We've reckon they're undercalling the demand for the car that's just replaced VW's Polo GTI as our favourite pocket rocket. " Its has made me even more pumped. Cant wait....
MISTA FIESTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Danny
GT4.

It would sh!t all over the Polo Gti..... Not in torque, but in looks and handling for SURE!

GOD I wish I could afford to have 2 cars!
Old 20-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

saw a polo gti line up next to normal polo last night.. both red... twas sad cause they both looked the same bar an exhaust ... too sadly common looking.....

XR4 - FTW

mind you the Colt Ralliart isnt sounding too bad....

1.5ltr turbo. 133kw
220nm

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn

FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW, FTW
Can you PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE stop saying FTW All the TIME!????

That combined with your various variants of ROFL, you're doing my face in..... : : : : :P
Old 20-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Can you PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE stop saying FTW All the TIME!????

That combined with your various variants of ROFL, you're doing my face in..... : : : : :P
ROFL = FTW

Old 20-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Danny
GT4.

You dog..... hahahaha
Old 20-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
photn
AFF Post NAZI

hhahahahahahah... gotta love it...

Old 20-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #10
Lplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04

:
You mean this?
"On smooth bitumen you can pitch the little Ford into corners at quite elevated speeds and, if needs be, tighten your line with a quick lift of throttle. That said, it's not as aggressively responsive as, say, a Renault Clio Sport"

I read that to mean that if you lift off mid bend, the Clio heads backwards into the boonies....

:

_2:
Lplus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2007, 01:33 AM   #11
ATSEIF DROF

Default Things I dont like about XR4

- Spoiler looks rank (too big, wrong shape)
- Bland alloys
- Spacesaver spare
- Cramped footwell
- No footrest
- No cruise
- High seating position
- Painted rear seat backs

Having said that, there is a lot to like as well :

Last edited by ATSEIF DROF; 23-06-2007 at 01:39 AM.
ATSEIF DROF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2007, 01:50 AM   #12
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSEIF DROF
- Cramped footwell
- No footrest
- No cruise
- High seating position
- Painted rear seat backs
Umm these aren't XR4 specific niggles. shouldn't you be used to them already?
Old 23-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
goop

XR4 looks a hoot Maybe, maybe.........
goop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #14
ATSEIF DROF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Umm these aren't XR4 specific niggles. shouldn't you be used to them already?
True, these are not XR4 specific, but are things that annoy me I guess, thought with the hero model ford coulda done a bit better thats all, great drive though
ATSEIF DROF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 02:57 AM   #15
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Ford have a long and strong history of including enough options to get away with.. unfortunately Ford EU don't see a need for cruise in their market so we don't get it... maybe as numbers increase here we'll see some AU customisation come about.
Old 30-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #16
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hey all,

Another positive in this month's Wheels Magazine. Positive one too!

Good work Ford... this thing looks like a ball of fun at $25K! Nice work.

I'm quite keen to get a test drive of this car when I can...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #17
Nado
Starter Motor

Finally decided to look at getting a car to replace the Commie and was looking at some of the more standard hatchs such as the Focus, Corolla and Civic, and was going to decide on the Focus Zetec... but damn, I think I might end up getting the XR4.... Must get Wheels Magazine and read that.
Nado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #18
photn
AFF Post NAZI

www.fordfiestaxr4.com is where its at and you can meet a wealth of knowledge for the car....

give it ago bud....

Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #19
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nado
Finally decided to look at getting a car to replace the Commie and was looking at some of the more standard hatchs such as the Focus, Corolla and Civic, and was going to decide on the Focus Zetec... but damn, I think I might end up getting the XR4.... Must get Wheels Magazine and read that.
Around $28,000 driveaway... u cant go wrong with the XR4.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #20
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FORD FIESTA XR4
Baby XR set to smash its rivals with top-notch handling and value
By : Shaun Cleary

Since the first German-built Fiesta hit our shores in 2004, Ford's sharp-handling, strong-performing Euro hatch has made its mark as the best driver's car in its segment.

But now that Europe's TeamRS has been brough in on the act, driving fun has been taken to a whole new level with the new Fiesta XR4 - a re-badged version of the European Fiesta ST. TeamRS is Ford Europe's red-blooded band of engineers charged with injecting some wickedness into the brand's regular model variants. The Focus XR5 Turbo is a fine example of the group's recent work, but the new XR4 surpasses it in terms of dynamics.

The XR4's grip threshold is outstanding, even considering the Fiesta's slight dimensions and lean mass. TeamRS spent two years on English roads and the Nurburgring Nordschleife setting up its chassis, and in conjuction with 205/40ZR17 Pirelli PZero Neros, the result is an absolutely cracking drive for $25,000.

On the road, you'd have to go beyond the point of having a red-hot go to even look like having a "moment". A donkey could drive the XR4 fast, such is its compusure. There's only a hint of lift-off oversteer - really only enough to make the nose sniff closer to the apex if you've gone into a corner too fast. But let's reiterate: if you've gone in too got and really need to nudge the brakes mid-corner to make the nose comply, you'd already be off the road in almost any other car.

To achieve this dynamic excellence, TeamRS retuned the Fiesta's dampers and stiffened its front springs substantially. They also revised the front suspension knuckle to allow more negative camber and less toe-in, and the steering rack has been quickened by 10 percent, too. This is all in aid of enhancing front-end response while maintaining hing-speed stability. At the rear, the springs have been beefed up a fraction, while the torsion-beam axle is almost 40-percent stiffer. Yet despite this concerted effort at firming things up, the XR4 still rides really well.

However, this great chassis proves a double-edged sword. While it makes the Fiesta heaps of fun to flog around, it emphasises how it could easily handle more herbs. Hauling it along is a tweaked version of the Focus's 2.0l Duratec four, installed at a six-degree rearward incline to ensure optimal weight distribution. There's really nothing wrong with the engine; when kept singing, it pulls well and has an angry flavour to it. It's just that the terrific chassis makes you lust for more power.

The XR4's five-speed gearbox is your best friend in wringing all 110kW and 190Nm out of it, especially with the shortened diff ratio. A sixth gear would be nice on the freeway, though, when the engine's doing 3000rpm at 110km/h in fifth. You'd tire of the engine's unrefined tones on a long trip, and to add insult to injury, cruise control isn't offered. But if your heart's in the right place, you'll take the twisting back roads on such a journey anyway. And to make sure you reach your destination safely (without raining on your parade), TeamRS has calibrated the XR4's standard stability control for maximum fun. the DSC's threshold is surprisingly high, and I only saw its yellow warning light flash once when really provoking it - simply to see if it was actually working!.

The XR4 is the first Fiesta to score rear discs (253mm), and the whole brake system holds up well. The front ventilated discs (278mm) also get larger calipers and better pads.

XR4's well-appointed cabin features firm, supportivem colourful seats, and its driving position is good (better, in fact, than the XR5T's), if a little high. The blue dash highlights on white and blue models look good, as do the expected XR4 touches like allow sill plates and part-leather trim. In this regard, it flogs the Swift Sport.

But it's outside that the XR4 looks best, particularly with optional racing stripes. The front and rear spoilers, side skirts and XR5-style front bumper toughen it up, but it still manages to stay cute.

Then there's its price. For $24,990, the Fiesta XR4 scores huge points for value-for-money. This is no paint-and-decals tart-up. The XR4 had been thoroughly re-engineered to satisfy a specific market. And considering all the work that has gone into it, a $6000 hike over the 74kW Zetec seems bloody compelling.

The hottest Fiesta has already booked its spot at next month's BFYB but, ultimately, it isn't about mere numbers on a stopwatch. Because sometimes genuine fun can't be measured.

Plus - Huge grip, sensational dynamics, looks, value.
Minus - Please sir, more power?

-MOTOR Magazine, August 2007 issue, page 38-40.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #21
amlohac

Has the xr4 been released here yet? i SWARE i seen one parked in a ford dealer in a country town in nsw. Next time i head though ill take a photo. Of course it could just a lookalike.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 12:14 AM   #22
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The XR4 was officially on sale on 1st June 2007.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:42 AM   #23
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Not a bad review, finally saw one today, looked ok.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #24
scooby

Every review I read of the XR4 is very positive. A good buy me thinks
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2007, 12:31 AM   #25
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
Has the xr4 been released here yet? i SWARE i seen one parked in a ford dealer in a country town in nsw. Next time i head though ill take a photo. Of course it could just a lookalike.
I saw one at the Ford dealer in Culcairn on my to Wagga Wagga on saturday. That's a real one horse town.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #26
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby
Every review I read of the XR4 is very positive. A good buy me thinks
It's definitely good value for money. It'll be entering Motor's BFYB '07... wonder how it goes... I'm predicting it finished within the top 5.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #27
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

All the reviews have definately been really positive. I love the piccies in Wheels with the XR4 really hangin it all out. :