Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #31
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Default Re: Are older (but high end) cars classy and cool or embarrassing?

I think series two XJ6 Jags are awesome... everybody else I know thinks they are horrible.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 25-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #32
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
In BMW's the L stands for long wheel base. The 850 is just an i.
The more you know.

I have seriously considered buying an 840ci/850i.
But as damo said the electrics are a big problem when they go wrong, and they will.
When I graduate in 5 years time, and am able to afford the upkeep/maintanence of such a car, I would seriously consider owning one.

I'd also love an E36 M3, but would never cart my loved ones around in one due to it being so unsafe. Yes, I was carted around in one in my younger days, but some of the older individuals on this forum probably sat in the back of a wagon, rolling around with no seat belt!
Old 25-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #33
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Id have a series 1,2 or 3 jag with a 350 chev, anyday of the week
Wouldnt cost a 1/3 of a new car
Dont care IF to some they look out dated

Old jags are classic in their look. A box shaped mid 80's Merc, Audi or Beema is not.
Old 25-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #34
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
Same situation but the doctor gets into a new FG GT. The other guy jumps into a older XA GT. What your going to laugh at him too?

Seriously.
Point taken, maybe a mid 80s mercedes is regarded like a XA GT in mercedes circles.

Even so the FG GT owner would chuckle to himself if a XA GT owner acted like they are on par.
Old 25-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #35
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Point taken, maybe a mid 80s mercedes is regarded like a XA GT in mercedes circles.

Even so the FG GT owner would chuckle to himself if a XA GT owner acted like they are on par.

Why? Many XA GT's cost more to buy than FG GT's.
Old 25-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #36
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Old jags are classic in their look. A box shaped mid 80's Merc, Audi or Beema is not.
And that is the difference between style and fashion.
Old 25-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #37
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Why? Many XA GT's cost more to buy than FG GT's.
We both know they shouldn't. Its the demand from ford old timers wanting a time machine back to the 70s that create such value. Ask a non ford person what they are worth.

For the record I agree they are special cars but they do nothing better than a fg gt
Old 25-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #38
KPCresta
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: Are older (but high end) cars classy and cool or embarrassing?

Quote:
Welcome to the forum KPCresta. Or should we call you KPcart?
Thanks mate. I have been browsing for a week and saw an opportunity to contribute with a first post

These forums provide a lot of valuable information. Kudos.
Old 25-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #39
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPCresta
Thanks mate. I have been browsing for a week and saw an opportunity to contribute with a first post

These forums provide a lot of valuable information. Kudos.

No worries. You seem very well versed in forum etiquette which is what had me thinking you were possibly another member using a similar name.
Old 25-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #40
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Are older but higher spec cars classy and cool to own or just embarrassing.

I'm talking about 10+ year old cars and assuming they are in good condition. Cars like mercedes or bmw or audi, porsche even.

Are these sorts of cars classy and cool or hasbeens and embarrassing to own and drive. People that are wannabes but can't afford the real thing (todays model and as such todays fashion).

The real deal people offload these cars as warranty has run out and they consider them no good anymore and need to get the new model to remain relevant.

I've seen a few people boast about owning a bmw or mercedes and when you go and have a look its about 10 years old or more

Instead of being a pretender paying upwards of $30k for such cars isn't it more suitable to wear a shoe that fits your foot and buy a brand new ford/holden/toyota or slightly used etc?

Or am I wrong and these people are cooler and more upmarket?
Haven't read the thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned but this is how it goes in My opinion.

With high end cars, after about 7-10 years (so that's first gen facelift X5's, E46 M3's, F348 - 355 Ferraris with Chrome rims, Early SL55AMG's and early 2000 model Audi RS4's), they begin to become affordable to more people, so you end up with the gold chain tandoori tanned - can't string a sentence together Guido/Lebo/Bogan crews with their arm tatts and their Orange girlfriends with matching D&G sunnies.

They think becasue that they could afford the repayments on a 7 year old M3 100% borrowed loan that champagne will fall from the heavens, and people will throw rose petals where they walk. These are the turds that specifically drive places and crane their heads to see who is looking at them. It is at THIS point, that a car becomes uncool.

Of course the turnaround for this is that, in another 5-10 years (when the cars are over 15-20 years old), these cars if kept well, will become classic, and cool again, because true enthusiasts will buy into them becasue they were a classic of their era, while the Jersey Shore tossers move on into the next batch of "last years model high end cars".
Old 25-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #41
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Haven't read the thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned but this is how it goes in My opinion.

With high end cars, after about 7-10 years (so that's first gen facelift X5's, E46 M3's, F348 - 355 Ferraris with Chrome rims, Early SL55AMG's and early 2000 model Audi RS4's), they begin to become affordable to more people, so you end up with the gold chain tandoori tanned - can't string a sentence together Guido/Lebo/Bogan crews with their arm tatts and their Orange girlfriends with matching D&G sunnies.

They think becasue that they could afford the repayments on a 7 year old M3 100% borrowed loan that champagne will fall from the heavens, and people will throw rose petals where they walk. These are the turds that specifically drive places and crane their heads to see who is looking at them. It is at THIS point, that a car becomes uncool.

Of course the turnaround for this is that, in another 5-10 years (when the cars are over 15-20 years old), these cars if kept well, will become classic, and cool again, because true enthusiasts will buy into them becasue they were a classic of their era, while the Jersey Shore tossers move on into the next batch of "last years model high end cars".
That's GOLD, yet true. Thanks for the laugh.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #42
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

My brother has an 86 560SEC Merc, it may be big and old, but it still goes like the $235000 car it was when new, in my eyes its a classic and is tough as they come, its so far ahead of Aussie cars of the time and gets alot of looks as it rumbles up the road
Old 25-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #43
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
We both know they shouldn't. Its the demand from ford old timers wanting a time machine back to the 70s that create such value. Ask a non ford person what they are worth.

For the record I agree they are special cars but they do nothing better than a fg gt
I couldn't afford a Landau when I was 7 ........

and they do nothing better than an FG GT? For who? I could sell the Landau and buy an FG GT ...... I could wait another 3 years and buy 4! Possibly 6 in 8 years ..... but it doesn't matter. Its all for personal reasons, I dont care about the resale and if someone doesn't get it, it cannot be explained, which is the same as someone who likes a 15 year old Merc or whatever.

I have a 1995 LTD ....... does that mean I am a wannabe who cant afford the real thing or was it just a choice? Does it mean I cant afford a new one? (If they still made them anyways)

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #44
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
My brother has an 86 560SEC Merc, it may be big and old, but it still goes like the $235000 car it was when new, in my eyes its a classic and is tough as they come, its so far ahead of Aussie cars of the time and gets alot of looks as it rumbles up the road
It still looks dated with it's 80's boxyness. That era from about 1980 through to 1995 produced some of the most boring designs ever. There are a few exceptions but almost everything turned into a box.
Old 25-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #45
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
It still looks dated with it's 80's boxyness. That era from about 1980 through to 1995 produced some of the most boring designs ever. There are a few exceptions but almost everything turned into a box.
Wrong, Wrong Wrong.

560 SEC is easily one of my favourite MB models ever to grace our roads. It IS the epitome of what I was talking about. A classic high end Merc nearly 30 years on, and a very cool car. My uncle had two of them brand new in the late 80's (one was written off by the secretary ), and I remember drooling over it profusely as a little boy.

Here is a vehicle released in 1984. I'm sorry, but that is one beautiful, clean, sporty, and elegant design, that does NOT in any way look like its nearly 30 years would have you assume..

You sir are wrong [/story]
Old 25-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #46
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Ah that looks just like my bros, his is blue over grey though and has changed the lights to all clear indicators front and rear
Old 25-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #47
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Just checked the web...1990 odd 850iL can be had for around 25-30k these days...but boy expensive to fix when something goes wrong.
I am surprised that expensive stuff is still going around , bimmers basically self diagnose and parts are no more than most foulcan parts once you buy them off line and not the stealer , coils plugs and regular parts are dead cheap

Last edited by atec77; 25-08-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 25-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #48
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Ah that looks just like my bros, his is blue over grey though and has changed the lights to all clear indicators front and rear
I had the same, was my 2nd car. Kiwi models had the unrestricted 300hp engines compared to the 260ish Aussie ones. She dealt to an AU3 XR8 a few times and mustered a decent twin spinner burnout, not bad for an old barge.

Since then I've had a few more S classes and 5 series, not for the image or badge, but because they are simply the best cars for their time, and money on the used market.
And people go on about parts being expensive, buy out of ebay UK or USA and they will be just as cheap to run as a Falcon or Commodore.
On this side of the Tasman the best value for money luxury car iks easily the late 1990s 740i or 540i, same price as a oil burning VX 5.7 Calais/Statesman and wheezing Fairmont/Fairlane, about 10 grand. No comparison between them.
Old 25-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #49
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wrong, Wrong Wrong.

. My uncle had two of them brand new in the late 80's (one was written off by the secretary ), and I remember drooling over it profusely as a little boy.

Did the Sechatary object to your drool all over ?
Old 25-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #50
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think when it comes to comparing a high-end but older car to the brand new ones is the older for the sake of this example bmw 850iL and say a FPV GT you just look at the continuos length of the "standard items" the older beemer has compared what comes standard on a GT i'd take the beemer any day plus you cant beat the classic look of em either.
Old 25-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #51
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
I don't think it matters, wgaf what other people think about your choice in cars.
this.

OP: if you honestly worry about what other people think about how 'cool' your choice of car is, and whether it's fashionable, maybe you should get into the latest range of man bags. Probably cheaper?
Old 25-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #52
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a thing for old Mercs. From the sixties until the nineties (yes even the eighties) there is just something special about them, only if I had the room and the cash. Most are very reasonably priced too..

Let me demonstrate..

$10k 1967 250SE

$15K 1975 350SLC (V8)

$24K 1993 500SL

1998 CLK320

Old 25-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #53
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
I don't think it matters, wgaf what other people think about your choice in cars.

This...!!!!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #54
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wrong, Wrong Wrong.

560 SEC is easily one of my favourite MB models ever to grace our roads. It IS the epitome of what I was talking about. A classic high end Merc nearly 30 years on, and a very cool car. My uncle had two of them brand new in the late 80's (one was written off by the secretary ), and I remember drooling over it profusely as a little boy.
Here is a vehicle released in 1984. I'm sorry, but that is one beautiful, clean, sporty, and elegant design, that does NOT in any way look like its nearly 30 years would have you assume..

A car is classic when it stands out not only from it's competitors, but also its' previous iterations. In this case there are many better looking older Mercedes models out there. The newer models are also better looking, so that leads me to conclude that 80's Mercedes are ugly Mercedes.

Case in point.
Old 25-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #55
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

The only time i start thinking they are ACTUALLY pathetic, is when the foolly *** hektic boys get their hands on them and do the whole big sub woofer and 20 inch bling wheels and then think they are gods gift because they bought a merc or most commonly a beemer. Lets not forget the Gold chains etc as well. We've all seen those types. otherwise i just see them as another 80's or 90's generic box on wheels.
Old 25-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #56
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Wrong, Wrong Wrong.

Looks like an early 90s car, I love the look of that.

Damn you for showing me that.
Old 25-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #57
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
A car is classic when it stands out not only from it's competitors, but also its' previous iterations. In this case there are many better looking older Mercedes models out there. The newer models are also better looking, so that leads me to conclude that 80's Mercedes are ugly Mercedes.

Case in point.
SO under that logic (Which I am not following) Your 'Case in point' is suddenly ugly?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #58
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
this.

OP: if you honestly worry about what other people think about how 'cool' your choice of car is, and whether it's fashionable, maybe you should get into the latest range of man bags. Probably cheaper?
i'll go along with that. its a personal thing and some people mightn't get it.
I real like those old mercs, i reckon a nice looked after one is cool,and i would own one. euro cars always seem to have good leather enteriors. my personal faverate is a 928 s4 porsche which in its day was a good sports car. today, maybe 20- 30k and its mine. if your ok with a spanner you can maintain it yourself and save a packet.
Old 25-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #59
Sep 97 EL XR8
Miami power

It's definately an easy (cheaper) way to get the car you wanted when it was new. The main problem is cost of repairs. If you have a well maintained car, it shold be OK.

If i had the money i would buy a M coupe, i loved the big fat rear flared guards, and the squat rear end.

Looks tough, and go like the clappers.
Old 25-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #60
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

My father has an immaculate 1984 W126 Mercedes Benz 380SE which will one day be mine.
Closed Thread