Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 29-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #31
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
--Deleted--

Never mind, I guess we all have different priorities and taste. To each of his own.

Now that's cheap. But look at it this way, you can sell your current 15s... add the money with $900... get 17" wheels n tyres.
lol well there wont be much to add to the pile hyperkid. youd be lucky to get a set of 4 5 spoke 15" for like 200 MAYBEE. no one wants them. so yer.....but anyway bacck on topic.

to tell you the truth there isnt much you really have to do to get the same handling as the Zetec from the LX. really all you need to do is purchase the Sway Bar from ford. the bushes and the links. go down to say Midas or a reputable suspension place that you trust and get them fitted. then hey . Presto....Zetec handling.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #32
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ Are the 5 spoke 15" the same size as the hubcaps? If so I'd consider buying them off someone
Old 29-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #33
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn

to tell you the truth there isnt much you really have to do to get the same handling as the Zetec from the LX. really all you need to do is purchase the Sway Bar from ford. the bushes and the links. go down to say Midas or a reputable suspension place that you trust and get them fitted. then hey . Presto....Zetec handling.

You are talking about the FRONT sway bar, correct?

because the rear doesnt have a sway bar, and it would be a total ***** to install one.

Still, if you wanted better handling, i cant imagine why you would go to ford and get the zetec front sway bar and bushes. What a waste, fair enough if you picked em up cheap. But otherwise, ring whiteline and get a set of springs and a new swaybar with nolathane bushes made up. can guarantee they would offer much better results than zetec springs and front swaybar.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #34
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Ohhh and on the topic of hubcaps richie mk6... i notice you're car is missing a few.

I have four, no scratches... wanting a new home.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 29-11-2006, 11:48 AM   #35
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
You are talking about the FRONT sway bar, correct?

because the rear doesnt have a sway bar, and it would be a total ***** to install one.

Still, if you wanted better handling, i cant imagine why you would go to ford and get the zetec front sway bar and bushes. What a waste, fair enough if you picked em up cheap. But otherwise, ring whiteline and get a set of springs and a new swaybar with nolathane bushes made up. can guarantee they would offer much better results than zetec springs and front swaybar.
well firstly you just answered your own question with your second line Mitch....

secondly im not sure what Whiteline would charge for better sway bar bushes and links. but from ford its most probably cheaper...

210 for the sway bar.
60 each for links
and 20 ( give or take) for the bushes.

Not to mention Warranty will be void using A/M parts. Ford parts would have a better chance at retaining there warranty on the vehicle.

Old 29-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #36
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx
^ Are the 5 spoke 15" the same size as the hubcaps? If so I'd consider buying them off someone
No the Hub cap wheels are 16" steel wheels ware as the 5 spoke Alloy ones are 15".

your best bet would be to buy a set from someone or off ebay. most people still have tread and trye on them. myne are in storage and have 80% thread left on the tyre....but im not selling incase i need them .

Old 29-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #37
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Yes photn.... the hubcaps on the STANDARD steel wheels are 16inches... just like my ....

back on topic....

Mine are actually a special edition, there 17inch hubcaps. there designed to fit over the 17inch mp3 wheels so that you cant scratch them :

Loads of fun :
Old 29-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #38
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Sean your forgetting about the stiffer springs, harder dampers and the stiffer twist beam. Neither you or mitch have talked about replacing dampers or the rear twist beam.

Last edited by fordel; 29-11-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #39
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Sean your forgetting about the stiffer springs, harder dampers and the stiffer twist beam. Neither you or mitch have talked about replacing dampers or the rear twist beam.
thanks pie. i totally forgot about those. ware as the dampers are the the same. i actually called up and asked what the difference is and they said that they have the same part number for the zetec and the LX. i could be wrong. but thats the info i got from FORd. the springs have something like a 5mml difference between zetec and LX (well close to 5mml anyway. nothing really major like 30mml)

I never knew the rear twist beam was replaced in the New Zetecs hmmmm.....may have to look into that. thanks pie.

Last edited by fordel; 29-11-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 29-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #40
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

Interesting discussion! :1syellow1

It's made me reconsider my decision, especially now that I know that only the WQ Zetec was fundamentally different from the LX!

Just looking at wheels. I could buy the LX and get 15" lightweight wheels (5kg Starcorp Lites) and a good tyre package and I'll be set...until the fun diminishes...then in goes the coilovers, rollcage and V12 Twinturbo Supercharger RWD conversion....but I'm getting ahead of myself _

Also, I'd just like to know what people's thoughts of the Fiesta's handling is. i.e. What would you compare it to, that you have also driven? What happens if you throw it into a corner as hard as you can, how does it react if you lift-off the throttle mid corner (does it lift its inside rear wheel : ) and does it understeer heavily/at all under power, etc

I've driven only FWDs so I know their handling characteristics pretty well especially since I mainly drive the two extremes of FWD power:

50kw Suzuki Swift (on like 30mm wide tyres :P )
163kw Magna Sports (can you say power understeer?)

Cheers
ardei is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #41
goop

There's power-understeer in 2nd, some torque-steer too. If you are rough with it you can wind up with mid-corner understeer.

If you're REALLY rough, or looking for some action, it's pretty easy to induce lift-off and brake-oversteer... the beauty of it is, the car really lets you know what's going on, and the oversteer attitude is forgiving and a ton of fun (WQ Zetec)
goop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #42
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Not to mention Warranty will be void using A/M parts. Ford parts would have a better chance at retaining there warranty on the vehicle.

I dont like you're chances... that is unless you get the ford service dept to fit the parts and agree to not void warranty.

Loads of fun :
Old 29-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #43
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
I dont like you're chances... that is unless you get the ford service dept to fit the parts and agree to not void warranty.
Ohh i personally dont care about warranty on those parts. but if some one was concerned about warranty yes you would have to get the dealership to fit it and agree that the parts do not Void warranty. agreed on that mitch.

Old 29-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #44
ATSEIF DROF

Changing bushes, dampers, springs, fitting sway bars, bigger alloys/tyres..............just buy the WQ Zetec dudes!

Its well worth the extra when you take EVERYTHING into account!

Btw, hubcaps? I thought they went out in the 70's, they are now called 'wheel covers' haha :-)
ATSEIF DROF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #45
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Well i have four brand new 15 inch Fiesta wheel covers ( yes 15 inch is the size ).

Go cheap whoever wants em

Loads of fun :
Old 29-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #46
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

I have a stock WP fiesta Zetec and here is what I find with the car

Turn in: Turn in feels spongy as the soft springs bring on bodyroll. Ive had the car for almost 3years so I know not to get worried about it.
Mid: Inside tyre does wanna spin on power, car is very composed. Not much power understeer.
Exit: Not much to talk about, just WOT outa the corner.

With my driving styles I don't get lift-off oversteer.

I have recently put on the WQ Zetec front anti-roll bar and ford low compliance bushes. The Anti-roll bar is a waste of time but the low compliance bushes have very nice benefits. The main difference being the Potzena GIII's tyres are much better used throughout the corners (Less dynamic alignment changes), they are no longer ON/OFF at the limit (they just keep gripping) and i can get on the power sooner and later. Power understeer is all but gone. The car now goes where I point it and does only what I want.

I have a feeling Ford has adjusted the EBD program as people in WQ Zetecs get brake oversteer while the EBD pulls mine back into line very quickly.

This should be pretty much how a WQ LX will drive. But also depends on your own driving style.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post