Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Territory - Was it really completely Oz designed !!!

I came across this US Freestyle AWD and there are certainly a lot of similarities to the Territiory, which raises the question was the Territory really a complete fresh design created in OZ.

Although the Freestyle has a 3.0 Duratek V6 it is also AWD and some body panels do look the same. Even the dash is very close in overall design.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/freestyle/

ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner
I came across this US Freestyle AWD and there are certainly a lot of similarities to the Territiory, which raises the question was the Territory really a complete fresh design created in OZ.

Although the Freestyle has a 3.0 Duratek V6 it is also AWD and some body panels do look the same. Even the dash is very close in overall design.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/freestyle/
There are many threads on this subject especially in the Territory forum, however to answer it in one, TOTALY Australian designed.
The story goes like this, to convince the US honchos to allow Ford Oz go ahead with the Tezza, Geoff Polites had a very accurate scale model costing a couple of hundred thousand dollars built and taken over to the US when he and his team made their presentation. So impressed were the US heavies that the Freestyle design was "tweeked" after they saw the future Territory model.
So in a nut shell the US model has Australian influences....GP was and is a genius and it was one of his & his team's finest hours.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

they copied the terri i thought, was a thread on in a while ago
Old 06-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The terri is oz designed from the wagon.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I can guarantee you the territory was designed by using the best of several cars, all cleanly cut down into little pieces.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
I can guarantee you the territory was designed by using the best of several cars, all cleanly cut down into little pieces.
Actually some parts on the Territory actually came from other Fords though ... check out the high mount brake light rear window washer unit ... I noticed it was from an Exploder ... and a few of the rear styling queues I have noticed are similar to the later model Exploder as well.

Still Ford made it different enough ... and better looking as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
ltd
Force Fed Fords

First of all, Exploder. Ha ha ha ha.
As said above, the Freestyle is a copy of the territory. With a name like freestyle, you would assume the advertisement would have had bomfunk MC playing in the background.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to its own PR information on the Territory Ford did call in some of its European expertise in designing the car (Land Rover, Jaguar) but it owes nothing to the Americans except money.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #9
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no probs with certain parts being shared etc etc but from all the initial hype I was definately under the impression the Terri was a truly all designed Oz vehicle.

Even though some say this is still the case I must say I am a tad dissapointed as I am tending to not agree that this is actually fact. There are just too many similarities to the Freestyle.

http://www.autonet.ca/Spotlight/Test...27/798989.html

Both the Terri and Freestyle were launched around the same time but the Freestyle was actually shown as a full concept in 2002. This makes me wonder whether they were actually a dual concept, ie a US version and an OZ version etc.

http://www.autonet.ca/Spotlight/Conc...08/530736.html

Sure if GP did eventually ship a completed Terri to the US its possible they may have made a few changes to their's etc but the Freestyle concept was done in 2002 and obviously initial plans and drawings etc would have been done a long way before then, along with the Terri.

Bummer, ah well its still a nice Oz machine as at least we have a good Oz engine with balls it our version. My interest came about as I have got a hire Terri locked in as my Bathurst transport this year .
Old 07-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Wasn't the Territory concept shown before the US one??? I am sure I saw pics of the concept around 2000.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #11
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recall Ford showed the concept 4 door ute "Raptor" at all the State car shows and probably around that time.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:31 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

"Raptor" was the Territory concept ... the R5 was the "crewman" style ute with the AU/BA hybrid headlights
Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are huge engineering & drive train differences, as I understand. Territory is rear wheel bias in AWD, Freestyle front is the main example.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 09:43 PM   #14
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

You really have to image how fugly the original FreeStyle design was if the production model incorporated Territory-like appearance (albeit partially) and it's STILL rediculously fugly.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 11:56 PM   #15
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Timeline;

2000/01: Ford Aus announce Project Raptor (an AWD lifestyle vehicle based on the Falcon)

2001/02 Ford US show sketches of CrossTrainer concept (below)

2002: Ford Aus reveal R7 show car (below)

2003: Ford US reveal CrossTrainer FX show car (below)

2004: Ford Aus release the Territory and Ford US release the Freestyle

The Territory is based on a modified RWD Falcon platform and the Freestyle is based on a FWD Ford Five Hundred platform. Both Territory and Freestyle are available with optional AWD.

The story above about the Territory scale model being shown to the US executives did reportedly result in changes to the final Freestyle appearance.

In fact Scott Strong (a US designer working at Ford Aus) who did the initial work on the Territory (and R5 and R7 concept cars) had his Aussie stint cut short as he was called back to the US to finish the Freestyle. Simon Butterworth (who came from Jag) finished the Territory as his replacement. :

We have the better one :nutsycuck
Old 20-09-2006, 02:42 AM   #16
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

So Ford Oz and Ford US shared a car, doesnt really matter. the fact that the terri handles Aussie conditions well shows its Aussieness.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #17
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
So Ford Oz and Ford US shared a car, doesnt really matter. the fact that the terri handles Aussie conditions well shows its Aussieness.
They didn't share a car, but they did share a car desginer as Raptor has written. I bet that there's hardly one common part on territory and freestyle, well except for the badges!
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #18
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I don't even think the badges are common.

Territory is far superior. Faster, better of and on road, built better, better style.

Then we have the Terri turbo which just dumps all over this stuff, with far superior drivetrain.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post