Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #31
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

LOL mate you sound more excited than I am to try this idea
Old 16-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #32
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU3 HERROD XR8
LOL mate you sound more excited than I am to try this idea
lol , i just like the idea of something different , but along the lines of chrome ( cos i love chrome ). I could also see the advantages of a hammertone finish not showing fingerprints and stuff as bad as a shiny chrome finish does.

I might have to get some and try it on something plastic / bit of scrap / and see what the effect is like. I want something that looks professional though , no dodgy looking stuff. Im thinking it would look quiet good ...hmmm.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #33
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

yeah keep me updated on how your experimenting goes, Anyway another question of mine is that the rear parcel shelf in the centre, right under it there is a subwoofer whole ready to be cut and installed, should I go ahead and install the subwoofer in that area (meaning I have to cut a hole in the rear shelf.) or am i better of just getting a seperate one installed inside the boot, along with an amp etc etc

cheers.
Old 16-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #34
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
yeah keep me updated on how your experimenting goes, Anyway another question of mine is that the rear parcel shelf in the centre, right under it there is a subwoofer whole ready to be cut and installed, should I go ahead and install the subwoofer in that area (meaning I have to cut a hole in the rear shelf.) or am i better of just getting a seperate one installed inside the boot, along with an amp etc etc

cheers.

Will do ;) .

As far as the audio stuff ........
I don't wanna sound like a picky bum , but you might be better starting another thread for this kinda info , this is almost going right off the track of the original thread .. cheers ;) . i'm sure u'de get more answers too..

Old 16-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #35
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Will do ;) .

As far as the audio stuff ........
I don't wanna sound like a picky bum , but you might be better starting another thread for this kinda info , this is almost going right off the track of the original thread .. cheers ;) . i'm sure u'de get more answers too..
LOL, i feel a little out-numbered now for some reason. Ok then I can always ask that stuff later with the audio, continuing with the 'cosmetic stuff' lol how does making the air conditioning controls (turning knob) chrome aswell, if it is possible that is..
Old 16-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #36
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
LOL, i feel a little out-numbered now for some reason. Ok then I can always ask that stuff later with the audio, continuing with the 'cosmetic stuff' lol how does making the air conditioning controls (turning knob) chrome aswell, if it is possible that is..
These parts never came out chrome in any mode AU as far as im aware , you would either have to get them plastic chromed ( not cheap as mentioned earlier ) , or if this stuff with the chrome leaf flake works / with some clear coat over it too , then that could be a way to chrome them , but with a sorta hammertone/galvanised pattern .

Oh and yeah , i didn't think of those , yeah they would look nice done too imo .

cheers.

Old 16-09-2006, 11:45 PM   #37
b2tf
not here much anymore

I reckon youd have a hell of a time getting the finish right, and getting the paint to stick if you did a DIY finish. Remember that those parts youre talking about get touched/used basically every time you're in the car so it would have to be a very durable finish.
Old 17-09-2006, 04:02 AM   #38
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I reckon youd have a hell of a time getting the finish right, and getting the paint to stick if you did a DIY finish. Remember that those parts youre talking about get touched/used basically every time you're in the car so it would have to be a very durable finish.
an polyurethane clear coat , same as used on electric guitars ;) .

Old 17-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #39
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

But you guys still like my mod right?
: _2:
Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #40
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken

But you guys still like my mod right?
: _2:
Uncle Ken
For sure , im still deciding weather to waste a weekend trying the above or weather to just bite the bucket for now and get a chrome 1 like yours. .

Old 17-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #41
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
an polyurethane clear coat , same as used on electric guitars ;) .
nitrocellulose on guitars is better ;)

but im a gibson kinda guy hahahah

best of luck with your experimenting.
Old 17-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #42
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
nitrocellulose on guitars is better ;)

but im a gibson kinda guy hahahah

best of luck with your experimenting.

hehehe , kewl you play guitar too huh , i been playing for 21 years , love it .. :hihi: , IBANEZ man here , always have been , always will be , although gibsons and fenders etc etc ( the old fuddy duddy guitars ) are nice too !! , nothing like a full floating tremelo & fully scalloped thin wizard necks etc etc of the ibanez guitars though imo.

I gotta give it to the gibsons for tone though , oooohh the tone when playing non distorted , very nice . Nice guitars to play too . More to do with all that wood more than the pickup ! ..lol

Although i have always been into styles like joe satch, steve via, frank zappa, paul gilbert etc etc to name a few, the ibanez more suits my style , especially for lead .

Anyway , back to the topic , the chrome surrounds etc etc ...lol.

Old 17-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #43
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
hehehe , kewl you play guitar too huh , i been playing for 21 years , love it .. :hihi: , IBANEZ man here , always have been , always will be , although gibsons and fenders etc etc ( the old fuddy duddy guitars ) are nice too !! , nothing like a full floating tremelo & fully scalloped thin wizard neck etc etc...

I gotta give it to the gibsons for tone though , oooohh the tone when playing non distorted , very nice . Nice guitars to play too .

Although i have always been into styles like joe satch, steve via, frank zappa, paul gilbert etc etc to name a few, the ibanez more suits my style , especially for lead .

bout 11 years here. im nearly 19, so its a long time. but yeah im a gibby man. cant stand Floyd Rose's or nothin hahaha and i play METALLLL!!!! and jazz too. use to play classical as well so i crack my acoustic guitars out occasionally...

anyway, i have a spare Chrome surround in fair condition. fair few scratches. so....
Old 17-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #44
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
hehehe , kewl you play guitar too huh , i been playing for 21 years , love it .. :hihi: , IBANEZ man here , always have been , always will be , although gibsons and fenders etc etc ( the old fuddy duddy guitars ) are nice too !! , nothing like a full floating tremelo & fully scalloped thin wizard neck etc etc...

I gotta give it to the gibsons for tone though , oooohh the tone when playing non distorted , very nice . Nice guitars to play too .

Smart man. Got 2 Ibanex BTB basses sitting at home, love em. Wouldnt mind a Fender J-Bass to put next to them though.
Old 17-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #45
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
bout 11 years here. im nearly 19, so its a long time. but yeah im a gibby man. cant stand Floyd Rose's or nothin hahaha and i play METALLLL!!!! and jazz too. use to play classical as well so i crack my acoustic guitars out occasionally...

anyway, i have a spare Chrome surround in fair condition. fair few scratches. so....
Would that fit an XR? or does it have the button
Old 17-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #46
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Would that fit an XR? or does it have the button
has button cut out. chrome surrounds were never available for XR's.
Old 17-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #47
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
has button cut out. chrome surrounds were never available for XR's.
Yeah just to clarify, 99% of parts to do with auto shifters on non-XR models wont fit an XR model. Main reason being that ECON button, which XR's dont have.

No chrome parts available for XR shifters or shifter surround - only option if you want chrome in your XR is to go aftermarket and get your original bits chromed. Obvious exception to that being the chrome shifter button which you can get off a Fairmont Ghia etc - will fit straight in.
Old 17-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #48
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

or you can purchase the base around the chrome surround too with the button , then it will fit in the XR .

And from what JC said earlier in this thread ( he's usually on the ball too ! ) is that the loom is probably still there in the xr ready to hook the button up to , so you could have a power and econ switch inside your XR , instead of having to stop the car to change power modes ! . bonus ..