Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-09-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
max
LWBforME

Default How's the storms in Sydney?

Anyone in Sydney copping the storms? Any Pics?

max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Just grey and raining in Chatswood most of the day.

Had a decent downpour at past Richmond way last night ... it rained the entire night (haven't had decent rain like this in months ... actually close to a year). It has been really dusty out my way and the grass has been dead for quite some time.

Water tanks should be filling which is nice ... saves us buying water.
There's meant to be rain for the next 3-4 days as well ... looking forward to getting more rain ... it's a godsend.

I am about 70-ish kays out of the Sydney CBD ... on the NW side.

The drive into work this morning was interesting along Putty Rd ... was pitch black and driving raining on country road ... a lot of water on the road and had to drive below the speed limit due to aquaplaning problems. I couldn't even use my driving lights in the dark as all I could see was blinding rain coming straight at me.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
BlackLS

Blue skys over western Sydney at the moment mate. Although gail foce winds are expected once the clouds go into the ocean.

The storms last night? I slep through them, the only way I knew it was bad was the puddle of water in my shoes that I left outside - D'OH!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It has been windy at Chatswood ... but it always is up here on the hill.
Bec just emailled me and told me it's pouring at Kellyville at the moment.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
BlackLS

http://www.smh.com.au/ftimages/2006/...222242748.html

North Sydney looking down the Parramatta River about 5mins ago

Old 07-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I heard there was snow over at Lithgow and Oberon ... and a litte at Orange as well.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
BlackLS

Coulds are moving fast, looks like theres some rain down south around Hurstville at the moment...

Looks like theres going to be a few sun showers this afternoon.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #8
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Coulds are moving fast, looks like theres some rain down south around Hurstville at the moment...

Looks like theres going to be a few sun showers this afternoon.
No a bit of blue around atm,very windy though,we had a huge down pour very early this morning,woke me up..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard on the news up here that it has been the wettest september day for a long time. but not much in the dams.

We are bright and sunny up here on the gold coast just gail force winds.

Ian
Old 07-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE
Heard on the news up here that it has been the wettest september day for a long time. but not much in the dams.

We are bright and sunny up here on the gold coast just gail force winds.

Ian
Gale force winds up there, shittay? Wouldn't want to be standing having a fag on the balcony of the the top floor of one of those new 60 storey pencil-shaped apartment buildings!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
http://www.smh.com.au/ftimages/2006/...222242748.html

North Sydney looking down the Parramatta River about 5mins ago

Thanks. Doesn't look ALL that bad. News here is beating it something terrible I think!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Just cloudy here at the moment in Chatswood.
Just found my area received 90mm of rain last night ... and a little bit more today.

There was a bit of flooding due to poor drainage systems ... and a semitrailer overturned on the M7 this morning full of chickens ... blocking northbound near the Sydney International Equestrian Centre near Horsley Park.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Just noticed seearching about on the net that Sydney seems to get it's worst storms around the September region ... last 5-6 years have produced some damaging storms every Septmeber.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #14
BlackLS

Latest, looking towards Brighton le Sans:
Old 07-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Sunny up here now in Chatswood ... but it's blowing a hell of a gale up here on the hill.

Not the best image ... looking North up the Pacific Hwy from the Zenith Centre twin towers in Chatswood

Old 07-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #16
BAWagonWheels

Had some fierce coastal winds overnight and this morning down in Wollongong. Now calm is set and the sun is out... so far...

BAWagonWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #17
max
LWBforME

Well from what I hear its not over yet, hope it doesn't get too bad.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #18
Paxton
Cobblers!

I went to Cronulla this morning and took a few shots of the water. I have salt spray all over the Territory, and there is sand in the camera. We got about 30 MMs of rain (just going off how high my pool went to), and there were power lines down in the street one across (thank god for Laptops). There have been no trees down, around here, but some areas are worse than others.

Now for the Piccies. 56K I apologise.

Wanda Beach

Eloura towards South Cronulla.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #19
HLC
Audi S3

my backyard flooded a bit for the first time in YEARS. no pics but :P
Old 07-09-2006, 06:14 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I am hoping for much more rain ... the coast doesn't need it though.
A fair bit of the rain last night was coming from the NW though ... so hopefully the Inner West NSW got some of that rain though.

Still sunny here in the north side of the city.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #21
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Its still pretty wild up here, not as much rain as we needed (around 50-60mm), but the wind is insane.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #22
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

I checked the synoptic chart this morning prior to leaving for work, interesting a warm front passing through, which is rather rare for Sydney.

It was a 35 gusting 45 knot Sou 'easter, with plenty of precip, when I started work this morning. Not that it actually felt that way, but according to the weather reports that's what it was. Apparently it was blowing up to 55 knots at North Head at one stage. The wind shifted to the sou' west later in the morning, with a consistent 20 knots gusting 35 knots during the day. Weather forecast indicated winds strengthening 30 to 40 knots late afternoon evening.

Nothing I hadn't experienced at work before. Meh...
Old 07-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #23
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I went to Cronulla this morning and took a few shots of the water. I have salt spray all over the Territory, and there is sand in the camera. We got about 30 MMs of rain (just going off how high my pool went to), and there were power lines down in the street one across (thank god for Laptops). There have been no trees down, around here, but some areas are worse than others.

Now for the Piccies. 56K I apologise.

Wanda Beach

Eloura towards South Cronulla.
My old stamping ground...geez that brings back memories...surfed every foot of that area...back in the sixties.

Thanks for the pics used to surf the point the most.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:45 AM   #24
max
LWBforME

Thanks for the comprehensive weather round up and great pix gentlemen, I hope the weekend brings a bit of relief. And MO, those surfing days of the 60's were the sweetest eh? My scene was on the South Coast here in Adelaide. Surely you may have been an Atlantics fan? Shadows? I prize my recent collections of their's on CD. Nothing to play the old LP's on any more since my turntable drive belt broke.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #25
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I heard there was snow over at Lithgow and Oberon ... and a litte at Orange as well.
Yep it snowed here, up on the mountain. Made the roads slick as owl s**t
Bit chilly too...

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #26
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Thanks for the comprehensive weather round up and great pix gentlemen, I hope the weekend brings a bit of relief. And MO, those surfing days of the 60's were the sweetest eh? My scene was on the South Coast here in Adelaide. Surely you may have been an Atlantics fan? Shadows? I prize my recent collections of their's on CD. Nothing to play the old LP's on any more since my turntable drive belt broke.
Spot on max the early days were bleedin fantastic..as for the music yes again along with Beachboys etc....and how about the best surfing movie ever made....Bruce Browns...'The Endless summer'.

There was one time we had close out surf from Jibbon Point (way in the back of the point shot) all the way to Voodoo reef on the Kurnell side of Cronulla.

We ended up surfing the Port Hacking river..starting around Bundeena and sometimes getting as far as Gymea bay...it was unreal.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Well ... so far over the last several days .... we have managed to get a decent amount of rain out my way ... which has been great.

we only had about 50,000L water left in the tank at home (1/5 capacity) ... it is now overflowing ... so we have managed to get 200,000L in there which is great ... the dam is filling so much quicker now that the ground is that water-logged that the water is just running across it ankle deep.

Getting out of the driveway have been interesting ... it just an uphill bog now ... Territory handles it with ease ... the ute is a bit of a handful .... and very very muddy now.

And it is still raining out there at the moment ... now to clean up a few things after the rain has stopped ... got one tree down over one of the fences after the strong winds as well.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #28
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Well ... so far over the last several days .... we have managed to get a decent amount of rain out my way ... which has been great.

we only had about 50,000L water left in the tank at home (1/5 capacity) ... it is now overflowing ... so we have managed to get 200,000L in there which is great ... the dam is filling so much quicker now that the ground is that water-logged that the water is just running across it ankle deep.

Getting out of the driveway have been interesting ... it just an uphill bog now ... Territory handles it with ease ... the ute is a bit of a handful .... and very very muddy now.

And it is still raining out there at the moment ... now to clean up a few things after the rain has stopped ... got one tree down over one of the fences after the strong winds as well.
Hmmmm...... good luck to you east coast folk. We're in the shyte here: a few specks here and there. She's gonna be a long dry summer.