Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Pies1

Default Fibreglass bodykits

I recently purchased a rear bar and front Fairmont lip for my Au2 Falcon, but was disappointed with the quality of the parts when they arrived via courier.

The smash repairer who will paint and fit them for me, agreed that fibreglass body parts are usually a poor imitation of polyurethene parts.

Considering the price paid, I wish i held off and decided to sell the car instead.

I suppose I will have to hang onto the car for a longer period to recoup the money spent now.

Pies1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

where did you get them from/how much?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pies1
The smash repairer who will paint and fit them for me, agreed that fibreglass body parts are usually a poor imitation of polyurethene parts.
Depends on the manufacturer of the kits.

I've got a fibreglass front bar in getting painted this week.

I had to fiddle with it (elongated a couple of holes) to get it to fiy snugly but the spray painter was very surprised at the quality of the bar.

I didn't know before I bought my bar but apparently it's not uncommon for fibreglass kits to be as thin as paper and also full of pinholes.

As luck would have it, mine is neither.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Pies1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
where did you get them from/how much?

$600 for the lip and Rebel rear bar.

Also, the rear mesh insert has been painted black also.

I suggest pm'ing me to get the supplier details, if you know what i mean.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Pies1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest

I had to fiddle with it (elongated a couple of holes) to get it to fiy snugly but the spray painter was very surprised at the quality of the bar.

I didn't know before I bought my bar but apparently it's not uncommon for fibreglass kits to be as thin as paper and also full of pinholes.

Yep, this is what my spray painter had to say about fibreglass kits.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If it is anything like my bodykit (the same kit as yours), then i already know where you got it from.... out: out: out: out:
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Price doesn't sound too bad. It's a bummer the quality of yours is a disappointment.

I must admit that I thought that I was over cars 20 years ago but I'm quite looking forward to fitting mine....

Maybe you could stick it on ebay and start again?
Old 06-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #8
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[/QUOTE]

Don't know about that. I saw an XR with a supercar type fibreglass nose cone that made the fit of my factory nose cone look very ordinary to say the least. the factory job looks like the car has been pranged and wont line up. I owned it since new it aint had no knocks looked like that from new, salesman said they all like that.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You've done the right thing by not airing your dirty laundry and publically flamming the company involved. I just wish more people go about dealing with their greivence's in this manner rather than coming out with all guns blazing. Lets hope yoy can get some resolution. Good luck
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
janek
Ripping it up

i hope it wasnt awc...

my spray dude said the same when i told him i was getting the fibreglass kit, but when i gave him the awc stuff to spray and fit, he had nothing but praise
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek
i hope it wasnt awc...

my spray dude said the same when i told him i was getting the fibreglass kit, but when i gave him the awc stuff to spray and fit, he had nothing but praise
must just be the luck of the draw.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:23 AM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:

Glad to hear you're happy with it. Bob's a pretty good kit maker. Been doing it for years and has a good rep in Canberra.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #13
sednwol

Quote:
i hope it wasnt awc...
If members are considering a front bar etc as Iam pm him and find out. Then you can make your decision.
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
must just be the luck of the draw.
I'm not slinging crap on AWC here, but they explained to me why the kit i bought off them was so crap.. Basically some of their bodykits they do not manufacture, they have contractors that make them to my undestanding and i was told that the AU2 tickford skirting isn't manufactured by them. I wish they did make it themselves though, maybe mine wouldn't be so cracked if they did :(
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #15
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

That's part of the problem AWC will have being both a manufacturer of their own kits and retailers of other suppliers stuff. I've also received iffy fibre stuff (pursuit ute lip) though not from AWC but a local place - but I believe the original manufacturer is one that AWC (along with the place I purchased it) do source stuff from.

If you are planning to deal with AWC, ask if they manufacture the particular part you're after. If they don't, then buyer beware I guess. If they do, then I'm sure you'll receive better after-sales service should there be an issue.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #16
janek
Ripping it up

amen to that... The guys there are tops, and again, i cant speak highly enough of them. YWhen going glass, there always is a risk, and thats reflected in why its just so much cheaper
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #17
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

i got myself a Hawk grille from AWC to replace the whale mouth on my forte, just the other day it arrived and looks fantastic. No blemishes or naything at all...i reckon they're tops! IMO anyways.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #18
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
i got myself a Hawk grille from AWC
I also like the Hawk bar (did you get the bar and grille, lol, or just the grille?)

But I ended up getting the Brumby bar (pic below) from Canberra Car Styling, as I only wanted a fr bar (not a whole kit) and the Brumby bar doesn't look dumb as it sits only about 25mm lower than the standard side skirts on my car.

That's not my car in the pic - I've got a Barossa Red S3 F/Ghia (hope you don't mind me using your pic, JC?) and I think the Brumby bar will suit it a little better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brumby Fr Bar.jpg (53.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 07-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #19
sednwol

Quote:
If you are planning to deal with AWC, ask if they manufacture the particular part you're after.
The issue really should be that AWC and competitors SHOULD NOT be on-selling poor quality product for our hard earned. Whatever happened to quality control? Such companies should be returning poor quality product to get the message through to their suppliers.
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #20
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
I also like the Hawk bar (did you get the bar and grille, lol, or just the grille?)

But I ended up getting the Brumby bar (pic below) from Canberra Car Styling, as I only wanted a fr bar (not a whole kit) and the Brumby bar doesn't look dumb as it sits only about 25mm lower than the standard side skirts on my car.

That's not my car in the pic - I've got a Barossa Red S3 F/Ghia (hope you don't mind me using your pic, JC?) and I think the Brumby bar will suit it a little better.
mate do you mind me asking how much?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #21
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
mate do you mind me asking how much?
Not at all, I don't think it's a secret...

Bar = $475, Dr/lights = $80/pr, Freight Canb - Bris = $50 TOTAL = $605

On top of that is fitting/painting.

Fitting was a doddle... as I said earlier, all I had to do was elongate two holes for a perfect edge to edge match with the guard.

Painting quotes (over the phone) varied widely - up to $480!!
I found out that is because of the number of poor quality f/glass bits and pieces available that painters quote high in anticipation of a fair bit of work.

I fitted the bar and took it around to a few panel beaters. Two of them quoted $200 and the third through a mate of a mate is doing it for $100 + a carton

There is a way to save a few dollars on the bar so if you are seriously considering it pm me and I'll let you know (I didn't find out till after I'd received mine but I'm very happy at the price I paid anyway).

Oh yeah, what I meant in my prev post is that I think that the Brumby bar will suit my car better than the Hawk bar. It reads as though I was saying that the Brumby bar will suit my car better than the car in the photo which is not what I meant

Last edited by ronwest; 07-09-2006 at 10:30 PM.