Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default High Beams

Hey all. Tonight, I noticed that with my high beams, when pulling back on the stick, Both highbeam and lowbeam filiments light up, whereas when you have normal highbeams on (stick pushed forward), only the highbeam filaments light up. Is there anyway to change it so that when the stick is pused forwards, the high and lows come on?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
I6corp
Was V6corp

I think its because the head light can not handle both being on for long periods (Melt element)

Where'as pulling back is only for a short period...
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you put it on high beam and then pull it back to almost the point it clicks off they will both stay on
But as I6corp said it's not gonna be a good thing for the lamps
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

theres no point....

H4 globe has 2 filaments.....1 has a shield around it to halve its output give the dipped light this filament is a 55W

the other filament is unshielded, giving the full light amount.... this filament is 60w

all you would be getting is the low beam patern as well as the high beam full light......

AU headlights are good enough as they are...... if you cant see where you're going at night with AU headlights you need your eyes checked
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Actually ... i think it's the other way around ... the low beam is actually the 60w section ... but the shielding reduces the distance and spreads the light around.

From what I have heard and read in places the unshielded high beam is the 55w filament.

Anyway ... if you want bright highbeams ... but some good driving lights
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #6
mavs19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Actually ... i think it's the other way around ... the low beam is actually the 60w section ... but the shielding reduces the distance and spreads the light around.

From what I have heard and read in places the unshielded high beam is the 55w filament.

Anyway ... if you want bright highbeams ... but some good driving lights

My first post on this forum and look what I am getting into???

OK, In order to have both filaments to lite up when the Hi/Lo lever is pulled in you need to make some minor change to your wiring harness.

Or you could make your own sub-harness and then you don’t have to cut into any of your vehicles wiring.
All that is required is a relay, a Diode, a fuse and a fuse holder, few bits of electrical wire and some connectors.
That is if you want to do it the safe way.

By the way there are 2 numbers on the base of the bulb, the first one is Lo the second one is Hi. 60/55W. It is a common mistake to think that the lower number is for Lo and the Higher one for Hi.
The filament with the “cup” shield under it is for Lo and the other one is for Hi beam.
The reason for the shield is to block the light emitted to the lower part of the bulb into the reflector which will be turned upside down in a Parabolic reflector.
You need therefore to block this portion so you can obtain Lo beam from your reflector. Otherwise this portion of the light will blind any oncoming traffic.
If you look at your headlight reflectors , head-on, when you have your Lo beam on, you will notice that there is no light in the lower portion of your reflectors.

The other filament (The one without the shield) is for your Hi beam. As you may also have notice it is located a bit further in towards the centre of the reflector.
This gives a wider beam spread from the light emitted from the filament which is bounced from all parts of the reflector as you need more light when you turn you Hi beam on.

Hi, Mechan1c,
nice to see that you blind small animals where ever you go.
I am sure that my good friend, Mechan1c, can verify my credentials in this area.
mavs19 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

After seeing the amount of work involved in your HID setup in your BA ... and the documentation produced on other forums ... you do know your stuff ...
Old 18-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #8
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

what mavis has said is 100% correct....you think mechaik blinds animals...they must turn to dust when i go buy :ticking:
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 11:35 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

yeah true ... where's that pic of your ute again at night ...
That poor freight train driver that night too ... scared the living daylights out of him.
Old 18-08-2006, 11:39 PM   #10
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
AU headlights are good enough as they are...... if you cant see where you're going at night with AU headlights you need your eyes checked
Your only right to a point...BUT there is a light for every situation and a situation for every light.
Old 18-08-2006, 11:43 PM   #11
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Quote:
yeah true ... where's that pic of your ute again at night ...
That poor freight train driver that night too ... scared the living daylights out of him.
haha oops :alien2: :monkes:
Old 19-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #12
mavs19

Quote:
After seeing the amount of work involved in your HID setup in your BA ... and the documentation produced on other forums ... you do know your stuff ...
Thanks for the compliments and your comments.

Wait till you see some of the new stuff we have been playing with vin our studio.

I will try to post some pics and some text as soon as the bitz are ready for taking pics of.

Here is a hint, The new Gen. Mini Bi-Xenon Projectors.
Every time I look at them it reminds me of the swords used in Star wars.

Have also been dabbing in Carbon fibre for shrouds and bezels.
mavs19 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs19
Thanks for the compliments and your comments.

Wait till you see some of the new stuff we have been playing with vin our studio.

I will try to post some pics and some text as soon as the bitz are ready for taking pics of.

Here is a hint, The new Gen. Mini Bi-Xenon Projectors.
Every time I look at them it reminds me of the swords used in Star wars.

Have also been dabbing in Carbon fibre for shrouds and bezels.
got a link to your work. im very interested in seeing what you do.