Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-08-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Fact or Faction - Rims and Exhaust

Hey all

My last post was about being told wrong information from my local Ford Dealer... And now ive been given alot of information and i am just trying to find out how much fact or fiction there is.

So any info you can give would be great.

Firstly:
You can see my car by my signature below, and ive bought some 17" Rims. I want to get it lowered by 30mm. Someone (Im not quoting names to avoid issues) told me that if i do this it will scrape on everything, and i may have to take alot of driveways and speedhumps on an angle. The solution i was told is that i must have either 18"'s or 19"'s. Is this true ? Or will 17"'s be Ok ? how much truth is there in this ? used:

Secondly:
I was about to book in a exhaust upgrade for a full 2.5" Exhaust with High flow Cat and Extractors, but after listening to a V8 with exhaust it may be a little to loud. I was told there was a similar noise level between the two ? Is this really correct ? used:

So then i was thinking of going extractors, high flow cat, and keeping my current 2 1/4" exhuast, and was told this would still give me the same power gains / throttle response / and fuel economy im after... Is this really true or would I be wasting my money doing this ??? used:

Sorry to ramble on but i need these things cleared up b4 i go and spend my $$$$.

Cheers
Jeff

Old 16-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkus
Hey all

My last post was about being told wrong information from my local Ford Dealer... And now ive been given alot of information and i am just trying to find out how much fact or fiction there is.

So any info you can give would be great.

Firstly:
You can see my car by my signature below, and ive bought some 17" Rims. I want to get it lowered by 30mm. Someone (Im not quoting names to avoid issues) told me that if i do this it will scrape on everything, and i may have to take alot of driveways and speedhumps on an angle. The solution i was told is that i must have either 18"'s or 19"'s. Is this true ? Or will 17"'s be Ok ? how much truth is there in this ? used:
No truth whatsoever. Firstly, unless you have a MAJOR bodykit a 30mm drop on a stock Falcon will rarely if ever scrape on anything. Secondly, you can have 15", 16", 17", 18", 19" or 20", the overall height of the rim and tyre (measured from the road to the top of the tyre) will remain the same (give or take about 5%). This is because as the rim gets bigger the tyre gets smaller to compensate and keep the rolling circumferance the same. Same circumferance means same height.

Quote:
Secondly:
I was about to book in a exhaust upgrade for a full 2.5" Exhaust with High flow Cat and Extractors, but after listening to a V8 with exhaust it may be a little to loud. I was told there was a similar noise level between the two ? Is this really correct ? used:

So then i was thinking of going extractors, high flow cat, and keeping my current 2 1/4" exhuast, and was told this would still give me the same power gains / throttle response / and fuel economy im after... Is this really true or would I be wasting my money doing this ??? used:

Sorry to ramble on but i need these things cleared up b4 i go and spend my $$$$.

Cheers
Jeff
An I6 will never sound like a V8 and with the amount of cars on here with 2.5" exhausts, its a no brainer it is the optimum setup and will NOT have significant noice issues. If you are worried get an extra hotdog put on.
The only time the noise would be an issue is if you were running a very "straight through" system with absolutely minimum restrictions.. but thats unlikely from a standard off the shelf system.
As for getting a 2 1/4" system.. dont bother, it wont make enough difference to make it worth the money.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
black ute
SII XR8

Cant see anything wrong with lowering 30mm from futura height and having 17's.
Would basicly only drop you to xr height. Mines lowered 50mm front and 65mm rear from xr height and yes, at that you do have to work the angles.
black ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sweet thanks man

Ive got a quote from Liverpool Exhuasts. How does this sound ?

High Flow Cat
2 1/2" Exhaust
Extractors (Hurricane brand)
2 dual straight through mufflers to reduce noise

They quoted me $1000

Feedback Welcome !!!
Old 16-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i guess it depends on the type of exhaust, ie brand, whether it is mandrel or press bent, etc. i got a quote today for ph4499's, high flow cat and 2.5" mandrel bent for $1180 fitted, now mind you i live in alice springs, in the middle of australia, so to me that seems a bit rich given that you live in sydney
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I got a quote from RDP here in Brisbane for Pacemaker 4480's, magnaflow hi-flow cat, redback 2.5" exhaust with magnaflow muffler for just under $1000. That was before I mentioned I was a forum member too... Shop around a bit more I reckon.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Sweet thanks man

Ive got a quote from Liverpool Exhuasts. How does this sound ?

High Flow Cat
2 1/2" Exhaust
Extractors (Hurricane brand)
2 dual straight through mufflers to reduce noise

They quoted me $1000

Feedback Welcome !!!
Yeah - same quote I got here in Canberra... but he also gave me the option of getting the extractors chromed for an extra $200 which I'm seriously thinking about.... comeon Tax Refund....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Casper is spot on (as usual) with the rims.

I got PH4499s fitted for around $500, and redback cats back for $350. You don't need a high flow cat for the I6 - just open up the front and rear entry/exits of the cat housing to 2.5" - usually another $50 to $100.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Casper is spot on (as usual) with the rims.

I got PH4499s fitted for around $500, and redback cats back for $350. You don't need a high flow cat for the I6 - just open up the front and rear entry/exits of the cat housing to 2.5" - usually another $50 to $100.
So then is the high flow Cat an expensive alternative, or would it reduce the performance in any way ?
Old 16-08-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
SVR73
Mr Polish

My forte was 65mm lower than standard and did scrape a little but still a decent ride and looked killer so 30 mm is not a problem
Old 16-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #11
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
No truth whatsoever. Firstly, unless you have a MAJOR bodykit a 30mm drop on a stock Falcon will rarely if ever scrape on anything.
I dunno - maybe the council just has big mutha speed bumps around where I live (Five Dock, Sydney).

Mine is XR height. I have to take about 1/3 of the speed bumps at an angle. My driveway at home is on a downhill slope, and I have to take it sideways and with caution to avoid scraping.

I had superlows on my EL. Used to scrape everywhere.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #12
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

You must have huge speedhumps then.. I've got SL on the front and SSL on the rears (full tank leaves the tyres level with the guards) on 18" rims and I've never scraped a thing.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 09:44 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
So then is the high flow Cat an expensive alternative, or would it reduce the performance in any way ?
High flow cat is just unnecessary, unless your current cat is stuffed. The cat doesn't really restrict performance on an NA falcon.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #14
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sweet well its good to know that once again i have been mislead by a trusted, well known, Exhaust Center.

And to think that it was their mechanic that told me all this, and he owns a BA XR8. pfffft

oh well.

thanks all for your info.

Ima stick with my 17" Rims, car lowered by 30mill and 2.5" Full Exhaust + Extractors.... i'll post a photo just to show off once my wheels are one... the before and after :
Old 16-08-2006, 10:34 PM   #15
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some of them will just try and sell you a high flow cat because they cant be bothered modifying the original one...i got quoted $115 to modify mine to 2.5" of $250 for a "high flow" 2.5" one. its just how they try to make money off people who dont know much/any better...not putting anyone down, but unless you know exactly what you want they'll try and sell you anything
Old 16-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #16
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
I dunno - maybe the council just has big mutha speed bumps around where I live (Five Dock, Sydney).

Mine is XR height. I have to take about 1/3 of the speed bumps at an angle. My driveway at home is on a downhill slope, and I have to take it sideways and with caution to avoid scraping.

Same for me, I had an RX7 and it drove me nuts. I sold the car.
Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #17
HLC
Audi S3

hey you are in St Clair...

i like like 5 minutes from you then, ive probably seen you around before, maybe you me. ya never know!
Old 17-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #18
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
hey you are in St Clair...

i like like 5 minutes from you then, ive probably seen you around before, maybe you me. ya never know!
Im sure i have seen u round, but we have a few nicely done up AU's in our surrounding suburbs.

Mine doesn't stand out much just yet, but give her a few months :
Old 17-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #19
XEESP_351

i hear high flow cats are a load of **** anyways...I think there was test between standard and high flow and not much difference at all prolly better like every1 says just to modify larger diameter originals...On my EB xr6 i have lukey headers with 3inch collecter into standard but bashed out internal cat to 2 1/2 system with magnaflow muffler with a hot dog on the rear pipe...Dosent drone but still sounds beef...The thing u dont want is that drone at cruise,that i cant stand drivin heaps of commodores like that, gives me a head ache...I believe fitting a hotdog on the rear section prevents that or have 2,one in intermediate section then one at rear...
XEESP_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 10:40 PM   #20
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i got all the parts for my exhaust just recently off ebay, i also got a high flow cat just so i dont have to modify my original one, as well as that it was only $165 shipped to where i am anyway...$855 with shipping got my ph4499's, highflow cat and 2.5" redback exhaust...which i am going to fit myself as its easy enough to do
Old 18-08-2006, 04:22 AM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus

Five Dock does have some killer speed humps down the main street ... I know ... have delivered in the area ... some parts of Sydney are shocking with speed humps in back streets ... even standard height vehicles scrape.

My ute is an XLS (had XR suspension height from factory) ... and I have lowered it 40mm all-round now .... now I can get into pretty much all loading docks that I need to get in (ie: designed for trucks more than anything) ... the only time I have issues is when i am loaded up.

But there are times that some places I do have troubles.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 04:49 AM   #22
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Five Dock does have some killer speed humps down the main street ... I know ... have delivered in the area ... some parts of Sydney are shocking with speed humps in back streets ... even standard height vehicles scrape.
Since making my previous post I've paid more attention to this.

The problem throughout the entire Canada Bay area (Five Dock, Concord, Drummoyne) isn't just the height of the speed humps, its the fact that many of them are very short lengthwise. The way I see it, a well designed speed hump is long enough to ensure that your back wheels are on top of the hump before your front wheels are back on the normal road level. Around here a lot of the bumps are very short, so that both your front and rear wheels are on the normal road level, either side of the hump which is ripping the crap out of the underside of your car.

Maybe other council areas are just as bad. I do a lot of driving around Sydney though, and this council area seems to be about the worst.

Driving a lowered car in Sydney probably presents more challenges than driving in other cities such as Melbourne and Perth for two other reasons:

(a) Sydney's backroads are generally crap, with more potholes and other irregularities than is the norm elsewhere. I've lived and/or driven on the Gold Coast, and in Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne. I haven't found a place that has roads maintained as badly as Sydney.

(b) Sydney's hilly topography means that you find a lot more dips and spoon drains running across intersections, ready to tear away at the leading edge of your car.

So the upshot of this is that different rules for owning/driving a lowered car may apply in Sydney to elsewhere.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 04:52 AM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

On the news the other night they mentioned that Sydney as the worst roads of anywhere in Australia ... not that surprising really ... cos I do a lot of metro driving ... and yeah ... it pretty crap just about everywhere.

I agree about the short speed humps that are very rounded as well ... and high in the middle too ... Eastwood in another area like that too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #24
fipcee
not so stock

I have just modded my XR within the past 2 weeks, pictures to come. I have put 17" mags with low profile tyres on, lowered the XR another 25mm and plonked on a 2 1/2" exhaust with a high flow cat. The exhaust, cat and twin chrome pipes set me back $550 fitted and it SOUNDS GREAT. When cruising and keeping the right foot under control there doesn't appear to be much difference in the noise, put the boot in and YUMMIE. I stipulated that the exhaust mods must remain under the legal dB limit..just check what it is where you live. My suggestion is go for it, you will not regret it. The only problem I find is that I now have the MOD BUG.
Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.
Next mods: extractors
fipcee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #25
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipcee
I have just modded my XR within the past 2 weeks, pictures to come. I have put 17" mags with low profile tyres on, lowered the XR another 25mm and plonked on a 2 1/2" exhaust with a high flow cat. The exhaust, cat and twin chrome pipes set me back $550 fitted and it SOUNDS GREAT. When cruising and keeping the right foot under control there doesn't appear to be much difference in the noise, put the boot in and YUMMIE. I stipulated that the exhaust mods must remain under the legal dB limit..just check what it is where you live. My suggestion is go for it, you will not regret it. The only problem I find is that I now have the MOD BUG.
Did you go single mufflers or dual ?
Old 18-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #26
fipcee
not so stock

Quote:
Did you go single mufflers or dual ?
Hiya, I only went the single exhaust but had a twin chrome tip fitted. I actually thought that it may have looked like a try hard wannabe 8 but the missus was with me and she loved it so i thought I'd keep her happy (in the end I am very happy with the look). Additionally I have found that the hi flow cat has increased my fuel economy by about 50 kms per tank (combo city/freeway 80/20) at this stage (and only been on since last Friday and I have been using the right foot a lot for the first tank). Maybe this has more to do with the fact that when I put new tyres on the XR that I had them filled with Nitogen gas (I think nitrogen) and it runs so smooth and quitely as well. Quite as a mouse until I hit around the 2000 RPM and then the note changes again at 4500 RPM.
I'm an old geezer (nearly 40) and am not in to drawing attention to the car etc but these few mods have made a big difference to the cars economy and I certainly feel there is better throttle response (and great handling as well). This is only my opinion though.
Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.
Next mods: extractors
fipcee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #27
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipcee
Hiya, I only went the single exhaust but had a twin chrome tip fitted. I actually thought that it may have looked like a try hard wannabe 8 but the missus was with me and she loved it so i thought I'd keep her happy (in the end I am very happy with the look). Additionally I have found that the hi flow cat has increased my fuel economy by about 50 kms per tank (combo city/freeway 80/20) at this stage (and only been on since last Friday and I have been using the right foot a lot for the first tank). Maybe this has more to do with the fact that when I put new tyres on the XR that I had them filled with Nitogen gas (I think nitrogen) and it runs so smooth and quitely as well. Quite as a mouse until I hit around the 2000 RPM and then the note changes again at 4500 RPM.
I'm an old geezer (nearly 40) and am not in to drawing attention to the car etc but these few mods have made a big difference to the cars economy and I certainly feel there is better throttle response (and great handling as well). This is only my opinion though.
Sweet thanks man.