Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
Falcon Freak
Banned

Default Huon Corporation return to work for all but Holden

Typical. Holden wouldn't sign the rescue package so no parts for them!

Link to latest news articles

FF

Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 03:37 AM   #2
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Holden hasn't as yet signed the rescue package.
Old 26-07-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

What I dont understand is why the car manufacturers, having already PAID for the parts and having a contract to supply the parts, at an agreed dollar rate, should be made to BAIL out a company that obviously either A: was mismanaged totally to end up in the **** it is in or B: Wrongly calculated the gross margins it was going to make on the supplied parts, its HUON corps fault, so I fail to see why any of the manufacturers should be help to ransom by either the company and or the Unions, after the company itself F@rked up its financial standings..

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
What I dont understand is why the car manufacturers, having already PAID for the parts and having a contract to supply the parts, at an agreed dollar rate, should be made to BAIL out a company that obviously either A: was mismanaged totally to end up in the **** it is in or B: Wrongly calculated the gross margins it was going to make on the supplied parts, its HUON corps fault, so I fail to see why any of the manufacturers should be help to ransom by either the company and or the Unions, after the company itself F@rked up its financial standings..

well said!
Old 26-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The car companies would see paying extra for parts from Huon a cheaper option than having more unproductive days searching for another company to supply them.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
Richo72
Starter Motor

And come next models HUON will be out of business, with all players shifting their production to more reliable and cheaper suppliers.

After the money HUON has cost Ford with the stand down of workers, they simply won't get Orion busines.

Great win by the union that has given a short 2 year respite before ALL the jobs go.

And in 2 years having created the mess, cost the automative manufacturers big $$, and completely lost their trust.... they'll blame the car companies for shifting to OS suppliers
Richo72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo72
And come next models HUON will be out of business, with all players shifting their production to more reliable and cheaper suppliers.

After the money HUON has cost Ford with the stand down of workers, they simply won't get Orion busines.

Great win by the union that has given a short 2 year respite before ALL the jobs go.

And in 2 years having created the mess, cost the automative manufacturers big $$, and completely lost their trust.... they'll blame the car companies for shifting to OS suppliers
Here, here. Great post.
Old 26-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
cwhast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Here, here. Great post.
that's for sure. :
Holden could get the parts from Delphi, i hear they're reliable :
looks like Holden will source some more parts from Wal-Mart (aka. China)
cwhast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
turboute
turboute

Another reason why Aussie cars will keep having less and less Aussie in them...

China is such a cheap option, and belive itor not they can produce quality when required.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
cwhast

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
Another reason why Aussie cars will keep having less and less Aussie in them...
This is true. What do they expect with an open-market economy.
Quote:
China is such a cheap option, and belive itor not they can produce quality when required.
Oh, I believe it.
Old 26-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #11
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
And wont hold their customers at ransom when they fail to meet their own obligations to their own employees.
Old 26-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #12
XR8putts

Some great posts, sum up the whole situation.

Expect alot of chinese in Orion, and I for one will be happy about it.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

its all over now.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200...0.htm?victoria

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo72

Two great posts, well said Gents, i guess it's not always good to have the union on side.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #15
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something everyone fails to mention is that the director of the company allegedly took $10 Million of company funds and transferred the titles of the factories over to a private family trust. When the receivers came and because of the financial stripping of the company no funds were available to pay the redundencies to some employees or even maintain running the company as it had around $400,000 in funds in Total. So in this case management have destroyed the company, protected their assets and left nothing for the workers.

Striking hurt Ford badly and has cost the Huon future new contracts obviously however if the car manufacturers didn't come to some form of aid the company couldn't have run anyway as the receivers wouldn't have allowed an insolvent company to operate....and you can't source components overnight or even in months sometimes.

Would you have gone to work knowing there was no money to pay you or whether your customers were going to settle accounts any time soon when the company's own viability was basically zilch?

Catch 22.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
When your losing a million dollars a day from lost production its cheaper to just pay them in the long run. The companies business leaders should be held accountable though for running it into the ground.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #17
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutura
;) As i said they had to for at-least the short term to get VE on the roads.
But expect a change in the next 6-12 months if things look down again.
Old 26-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #18
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
You missed option C: where the purchasing departments of the some car companies screwed Huon so hard on price that it led to this situation.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 11:29 PM   #19
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Screwed so hard they only had 10 Mill to hide away.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #20
cwhast

heheh good call
Old 27-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #21
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
You missed option C: where the purchasing departments of the some car companies screwed Huon so hard on price that it led to this situation.

FF
Actually I thought that was covered more politically correct in point B!!!! Of my Original Post.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #22
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

With parts from China being a valid alternative. Huon would have had to compete with China for the contracts. Maybe they just lowered the margins so far in order to still get the contracts that they couldnt sustain it any longer.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #23
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Soon Aussie parts suppliers might be sourcing there parts from overseas as-well? You never know