Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old Today, 11:35 AM   #61
JustBill
Starter Motor

Default Re: Mondeo 2011 Turbo Diesel lack of power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The chain coloured links can be a bit of a distraction, the main requirements are - as you say - for the belt timing points to be lined up and crank bolt “FT” with thread locker, and the chain sprockets to be synchronised. If they’re out of sync now it’s probably due to the interference event which broke the rockers.

On the cam driven by the timing belt, I’m fairly sure both the belt pulley and chain sprocket are positively keyed; they cannot rotate.

The FAI brand rockers used to be a good aftermarket part for these situations, it may be they’re either much dearer or unavailable now.

Note on the crank bolt. Its torque is given in Nm only, which suggests to me the “always fit a new bolt” rule is driven by thread lock paste or granules pre-coated onto the bolt. If it were a TTY bolt it would have a preload torque plus degrees cited.

Breaking bolts or damaging threads on removal is usually the result of people not having the patience to walk the thread in and out, loosening it progressively.
Gotcha

Re Cam bolt, i've been watching Allan Howatt videos a lot. He reuses the cam bolt.

This is where i am at now.
-Flywheel locked in position.
-8 New rockers placed
-the area cleaned from rocker metal fragments.

Next Stage
-Fit the 2 cams with chain in correct position as per the diagram in my previous post (mark on intake cam pointing 12 oclock - mark on exhaust cam pointing 11 oclock)
-Place the cam belt sprocket in correct position making sure the hole in the sprocket lines up with hole on the engine.
-Place the timing belt and tensioner back on.
-Then remove the pins and by hand spin the crank 2 rotations and check if both flywheel and cam pully both line up again and able to pin them again.
All this before putting the rocker cover on making sure the marks on the cam sprockets also still line up at 12 oclock and 11 oclock. At the same time making sure nothing is hitting the rockers or valves while spinning. Any resistance or knocking sound while hand spinning would be a warning sign i don't have things right.

Make or break time..... Literally
JustBill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 12:37 PM   #62
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m relieved it’s coming together. Be sure to hit that torque - with thread locker - before your test turnings-over.

We did some bolts yesterday on a truck head that were 59Nm plus 90° plus 180°. It’s disconcerting to both consider how far you’re twisting it and how tight it’s getting - but evidently parts are designed to take the stresses. You should “overpull” slightly on the 60° as the bolt will naturally spring back.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 01:12 PM   #63
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Also, are you sure the rockers which didn’t break, aren’t fractured? It’d be disappointing to find out later.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 03:30 PM   #64
JustBill
Starter Motor

No thats it. I quit. 4 weeks of killing my self pulling things apart and lots of money spent, i quit.

I put it all together, try spinning it 2 revolutions but turns only 1/4 and locks up. The cam spins independantly as many times you like, so does the crank. but put them on the belt 1/4 turn. These have been up there with the worst period of my life.

Thank you citroenbender and the rest of you for giving me your precious time.
i can never repay yous for what youre worth.
JustBill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 05:34 PM   #65
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Sounds like you have the timing wrong and a piston is hitting a valve or two. Did you rotate the engine at all when when the belt and or chain was off? Have you check the piston position at number 1 cylinder at TDC?

What city and state are you in? Somebody on the forum more knowledgeable may be prepared to visit and have a look over the engine for you.

Last edited by aussiblue; Today at 05:48 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 05:47 PM   #66
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

I'm thinking 1 of 3 things, either u have a bent valve,but after breaking 8 rockers I'm doubting that's the issue.(Do the valves all look to be moving when u are turning the cams & when u come to the back of the cam lobes do u have correct clearance s for each valve-tight valve lash is very bad as it will make the valve hang, better off lose than tight) 2/ possible that there is a machining difference from old rockers to new & valve lash is to tight making a valve hang & catch a piston....I'm also doubting this 3/ the timing is still out....& This is what I'm putting my money on, I believe that u have pinned the flywheel on No4 tdc & cams are@ No1 tdc.....keep going u are soooo close & we are all happy to help u get there.
goz007 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 06:07 PM   #67
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Another of the many possibilities perhaps: broken or incorrectly adjusted timing chain tensioner preventing the chain freely turning? Like the one here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jLzRoDQdyo&t=186s