Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2024, 11:32 AM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: GMC Yukon for Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Yep, my best mates dad bought one brand new from Holden. 16 year old me thought it was the coolest thing ever, id never seen a vehicle so big, and was a heap of fun the next year when said mate got his P's and we would take it out to get up to no good... I remember getting a laugh from the fact that if you unbolted the Holden badge on the grill, the Chev bow tie was there. Not a new grill, just a chrome cover... I really need to find the old photo's of 17 year old me and some of the crazy shit we did in that thing.. Ahh, memories...

But anyway, Yukon could be interesting, but 2 problems for mine:

1. GM have burned bridges in AU
2. If they have to have it converted to RHD, will it not then be too expensive in comparison to competitors. Look at Camaro as a prime example. $20k+ more than Mustang (its main competitor) here because Mustang was made RHD, Camaro had to be converted...
Keep in mind the GMC Yukon is going to have no competitors in Australia as we sit currently,

What SUVs do we have in our market that are:

- Based on American ute platforms (large vehicle)
- V8 powered

Their closest competitors are the 300 series Landcruiser (No V8 anymore) and the Y62 Patrol, but they're not road going SUVs they're designed to be off road focused 4x4s.

American SUVs are the SUVs to end all SUVs - big engines, big vehicles, designed to eat up long drives in comfort.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-04-2024, 12:18 PM   #2
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Keep in mind the GMC Yukon is going to have no competitors in Australia as we sit currently,

- V8 powered

Their closest competitors are the 300 series Landcruiser (No V8 anymore) and the Y62 Patrol, but they're not road going SUVs they're designed to be off road focused 4x4s.

American SUVs are the SUVs to end all SUVs - big engines, big vehicles, designed to eat up long drives in comfort.
There’s the MB GLS, BMW X7 and Lexus LX600. These are all pushing $200k.
Just checked price of GMC with the 6.2 starts from $71k usd, 110k AUD. Probably not going to get much change from $200k for these after conversion and GM will prob import the ones with all the fruit as opposed to base model.

But the big risk will be American build quality coupled with the conversion.
Apparently these 6.2s are grenading themselves. Yanks been building all alloy small block for nearly 30 years and they still can’t get it right.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2024, 12:36 PM   #3
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
There’s the MB GLS, BMW X7 and Lexus LX600. These are all pushing $200k.
Price, yes. Size, not quite. The Yukon is bigger than all of those cars by some margin (more than 30 CMS different to the Lexus!). If we get the XL, that's huge!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2024, 12:49 PM   #4
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Price, yes. Size, not quite. The Yukon is bigger than all of those cars by some margin (more than 30 CMS different to the Lexus!). If we get the XL, that's huge!
Yeah but realistically how many buyers are going to have that as the deciding factor?
There will be buyers who a dead set keen on one of these but there’d be some cross shopping going on for those on the fence.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2024, 02:26 PM   #5
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

I remember my neighbor when he first moved into his newly built house, his Mazda wagon would not fit length wise in his garage and he couldn't close the roller door, so one of these things is definitely not going to fit in the little houses they build today, some of the people who will buy these cars will not even have the space to park them
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2024, 02:28 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
I remember my neighbor when he first moved into his newly built house, his Mazda wagon would not fit length wise in his garage and he couldn't close the roller door, so one of these things is definitely not going to fit in the little houses they build today, some of the people who will buy these cars will not even have the space to park them
Same deal in Melbourne, people still have them though

Just park it in the street - if its registered you can legally park cars on the street,

The best part about it that I love is that don't you dare park on the nature strip, or you'll get fined.

But the very narrow residential streets in new housing estates? No drama bro block it by parking cars on both sides of it.

Just don't you dare try make space by putting some wheels on the nature strip
Old 21-04-2024, 02:37 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I often park one of my cars out front with two wheels on the kerb top. To me, it’s courteous for other motorists passing at a narrow enough spot.

With the ongoing desire of so many Australians to mimic what they perceive as Americana, this proposal of the Yuckon is a great fit. Look how well the Mustang has gone - I’m sure if similar level offerings were around in the seventies onwards, they would have been enthusiastically taken up.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2024, 03:04 PM   #8
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Yeah but realistically how many buyers are going to have that as the deciding factor?

There will be buyers who a dead set keen on one of these but there’d be some cross shopping going on for those on the fence.
Not sure. It's a definite factor for me being tall. I want to be able to sit in my usual driving position and not have the rear passengers complain about space. Only been able to do that in the Patrol and more recently, the EV9. 300 is too small now.

Last edited by kypez; 21-04-2024 at 03:34 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2024, 03:25 PM   #9
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

- V8 powered

Having now had a look, I was mistaken... I thought the Yukon was the smaller SUV in GMC's lineup (confused it with the Acadia) so agreed on your point in regards to competitors. If we can get it with the 3.0 Duramax Diesel/10 Speed combo (206kw/625nm) and somewhere near 300 Series $$ it could be worth a look...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2024, 12:43 AM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Angry Re: GMC Yukon for Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Having now had a look, I was mistaken... I thought the Yukon was the smaller SUV in GMC's lineup (confused it with the Acadia) so agreed on your point in regards to competitors. If we can get it with the 3.0 Duramax Diesel/10 Speed combo (206kw/625nm) and somewhere near 300 Series $$ it could be worth a look...
We're predominantly a diesel SUV market but one wonders if it's because the unleaded options sans Ford Ecoboost in SUVs have always been trash naturally aspirated 4 cylinder junk vs turbo diesel.

Wonder if they'll gamble with the 6.2L V8 and offer it to us as well as the diesel.

**** I hate naturally aspirated 4 cylinder junk, should have died 15+ years ago. Especially in heavy vehicles like SUVs or 'sports cars' like the MX5 and BRZ/86 - right joke those things are naturally aspirated, 'sports' car my Equus africanus asinus.
Old 27-04-2024, 09:30 PM   #11
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We're predominantly a diesel SUV market but one wonders if it's because the unleaded options sans Ford Ecoboost in SUVs have always been trash naturally aspirated 4 cylinder junk vs turbo diesel.

Wonder if they'll gamble with the 6.2L V8 and offer it to us as well as the diesel.

**** I hate naturally aspirated 4 cylinder junk, should have died 15+ years ago. Especially in heavy vehicles like SUVs or 'sports cars' like the MX5 and BRZ/86 - right joke those things are naturally aspirated, 'sports' car my Equus africanus asinus.
If we had decent petrol options with SUV's they'd probably sell better. With my wives MQ4 (Current model) Sorento we went diesel because the other option was FWD and 3.5 V6 which is crap, no low end torque and needs a rev to get anywhere. In the USA they get the same car with a turbo 2.5 petrol and AWD (210kw/422nm) which is what we really need and I would of bought that version over the diesel easily. The only decent Petrol SUV's where the Escape with the Ecoboost which no one bought because Ford has been forgotten by most SUV buyers and the (still available) CX5 with the Turbo 2.5.

When it comes to utes, when I drove an ecoboost Amarok (for fun while a mate ordered a V6 one) it was great but for the Adventura, which is the only spec for that motor, if you want the V6D its 8-10 months. You want the turbo petrol? They had 5 in stock so choose your colour and take it right away, with a discount....

For the Yukon though, being the size it and the market its in the 6.2 would probably be worth offering at least.

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2024, 10:36 PM   #12
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Rubbish Franco, we have a 2023.25 Ford Escape Vignale with an Ecoboost Engine, and it is brilliant. It has amazing power and economy.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2024, 11:00 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Rubbish Franco, we have a 2023.25 Ford Escape Vignale with an Ecoboost Engine, and it is brilliant. It has amazing power and economy.
You just agreed with what I said:

Quote:

That's basically a fancy way of saying 'excluding/without' Ford Ecoboost using a word thats circa 700 years old

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 27-04-2024 at 11:11 PM.