Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

gas goes boom when used wrongly big problem
petrol goes boom when used wrongly big problem
use both the right way no boom no problem
Old 08-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #32
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RANT;

It amazes me how much people are 5hit scared of LPG!!!

A properly tuned and maintained LPG sytem is as safe if not safer than Petrol. You see one car blow up and will NEVER use gas again?? Your problem.

SOME people who have LPG are tight asses (hence why they get LPG in the first place) so they dont spend money on tuning and maintaining their car properly do they?

If you saw a car on petrol only on fire, would you stop driving all together?

;END RANT
Old 08-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #33
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I've done 30,000km on my VSI dual fuel system with no backfires.

I changed plugs and leads about 5,000km ago because they were r**ted and I still wasn't getting backfires.

The car automatically starts on petrol and switches to LPG about 2 minutes later. It automatically switches back to petrol if I run out of LPG. The changeover both ways is instantaneous and unnoticable.

There is no noticeable power difference between VSI LPG and petrol. If you took it to the strip you might find a difference, but in daily driving there is no difference at all.

I can understand they guy with the SS ute putting it on LPG. After all, what's wrong with putting a hi-po car on LPG - it will still be better than a low-spec car on LPG. And with a 5.7 or 6.0L donk he will be saving heaps, probably between $2,500 amd $4,000 a year.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #34
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
RANT;

A properly tuned and maintained LPG sytem is as safe if not safer than Petrol.
very true - you do not get any gas spills at servos - no vapours either. ignorance is bliss - but it costs between 2-3 times the price of knowledge
Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #35
reds89

i have had 2 f150,s on gas both on dual fuel and never any probs,my current f150 is now running full time gas i dismantled the petrol side because the differance in power wasnt that big a deal,i run a gra system and its been ultra reliable.As for gas not making power my son had a 378 clevo in a xb and a ba xr8,the xb was running a twin gra gas system[no petrol]and i had the chance to drive both in the same day back to syd from newie,we stopped at the servo on the freeway,he topped up i topped up[on gas] i paid about a third what he paid,we left at the same time got on the freeway and it was kiss mr xr8 goodby.Dont knock bbq gas its good for cooking and making clean awesome horsepower cheap as chips.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #36
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've covered 10,000km on SVI LPG. Because it is a multi-point injected system, both fuels (petrol and LPG) are introduced into the engine at the lower intake manifold, which means that most of the intake manifold does not ever hold an explosive air/fuel mixture that can ignite if the ignition system is less than perfect or if the tuning is out. This means that the chances of a damaging (and potentially life-threatening) backfire is all but eliminated. It is poorly fitted and maintained dual-fuel mixer-type setups that give LPG a bad name. Get your conversion professionally fitted and maintain your vehicle (pariticularly your ignition, filters, and air/fuel ratios) and you shouldn't have a problem.

Regards,
Dave
Old 08-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #37
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
I've done 30,000km on my VSI dual fuel system with no backfires.

I changed plugs and leads about 5,000km ago because they were r**ted and I still wasn't getting backfires.

The car automatically starts on petrol and switches to LPG about 2 minutes later. It automatically switches back to petrol if I run out of LPG. The changeover both ways is instantaneous and unnoticable.

There is no noticeable power difference between VSI LPG and petrol. If you took it to the strip you might find a difference, but in daily driving there is no difference at all.

I can understand they guy with the SS ute putting it on LPG. After all, what's wrong with putting a hi-po car on LPG - it will still be better than a low-spec car on LPG. And with a 5.7 or 6.0L donk he will be saving heaps, probably between $2,500 amd $4,000 a year.
Yes the new LPG with it's own injectors will stop the backfire,
i have yet to hear the new system backfire yet.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #38
Tealglow
Waiting

My first Bronco (351C) was dual fuel.

Never ran it on petrol (LPG was 9cpl)

Went on a big trip from Adelaide to Streaky and filled up with petrol (95L)

Emptied the LPG tank, switched to Petrol -no go - no petrol???

Turns out because I never ran it on Petrol, the diaphragm in the fuel pump perished (i think).

This led to fuel somehow pumping out the release hole straight onto my extractors -all 90+ litres of it!!

This Bronco went down in flames a year later - similar to the situation in the OP.

A little backfire in bumper to bumper traffic, then 1 min later no accellerator and a burning rubber smell. No smoke or anything.

Open up the bonnet and flames singe all my hair. Great fun!!

The best part was all the other concerned citizens in traffic trying not to pay attention in case they might have to help. Very hard to do with flames 10ft high next to you.

The firies turned up & they were stoked because it was a brand new truck from a brand new station 200m up the road and it was their first call out ever!

Turns out an electrical short started a fire that burnt the LPG feed line and toasted the car.

BTW Rule #1 - If your LPG car is burning - turn off the tap!

1984 Bronco XLT 351 C6 4WD - Black/ Silver LPG, 3" Lift, American Racing Wheels

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited CRD Renegade- Black

2009 FG XR6 Vixen
Old 08-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #39
bad12x
lpg xb fairmont

i have lpg on me xb gt and it run great at you have have full lpg not 1/2 lpg and pertol . Pertol only run at 98 % as lpg run at 115% and go better with nos too .
The only thing that should be burning is a holden
Old 08-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #40
gtxb67

another big benefit of gas is if you run out of water, be it water pump failure, hole in the radiator or stupidity the gas will freeze and engine will stop. instead of frying an engine you might damage the convertor
Old 08-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #41
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

irregardless of fuel types we use, this is probably one of the better reasons to keep a C02 extinguisher in the car folks. Unless its a commodore, then I recommend an N2O tank with a hose attached.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 08-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #42
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
irregardless of fuel types we use, this is probably one of the better reasons to keep a C02 extinguisher in the car folks. Unless its a commodore, then I recommend an N2O tank with a hose attached.
good call
Old 08-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #43
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

There are alot of ill informed people on this forum. Have you checked out the new SVI systems out there? There are people on this forum who have SVI setups that pull MORE power on gas than petrol with the same economy. XR6 turbos and V8s included.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #44
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

The one thing i see alot of with people talking out about lpg car fires is that majority of them are dual fuel
In fact i cant remember seeing on that was a dedicated gas one.

So im glad that when i put my XC on gas that i decided to go dedicated.
Tuning set for one fuel type, no flicking from petrol to gas and i only lost 4kws.

The only problem ive had was when my new electric dizzy packed it in recently...
Backfired, lost heaps of power and became a real hand full as it would of on petrol too.
So i got another new one... FREE And all is good again, back to my regular smooth cruisin.

Thunderoo knocked the nail on the head, I need not say anymore.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #45
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Unless its a commodore, then I recommend an N2O tank with a hose attached.
Ummm... How about NO!?

Regards,
Dave
Old 08-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #46
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Don't get me wrong, LPG in some cases is great, especially injected, but you'll have to agree that it is a sacrifice you make in order to drive something cheaply. When in th market 2 years back I needed something cheap to run, for what I paid for the Focus I could have had a equiviant spec Falcon on LPG, but I sacrificed a bit of interior space for better reliabilty and performance.
Sorry but that's got to be the funniest thing I've ever read. You sacrificed a bit of interior space for "better reliability and performance," huh?

Gee, I mean, those cabs I'm with that do 1,000,000km are unreliable hey. An E-Gas BA/BF will stomp a 2.0 Focus into the ground without breaking a sweat. Not to mention being vastly cheaper to run.

Some of the opinions in this thread are ammusing at best. LPG is safe, the car won't randomly explode etc etc. If it did, taxis would be bursting into flames at every street corner... but evidently they don't.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 08-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #47
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Sorry but that's got to be the funniest thing I've ever read. You sacrificed a bit of interior space for "better reliability and performance," huh?

Gee, I mean, those cabs I'm with that do 1,000,000km are unreliable hey. An E-Gas BA/BF will stomp a 2.0 Focus into the ground without breaking a sweat. Not to mention being vastly cheaper to run.

Some of the opinions in this thread are ammusing at best. LPG is safe, the car won't randomly explode etc etc. If it did, taxis would be bursting into flames at every street corner... but evidently they don't.
Steffo,

A quick question to ask you since you are driving cabs or dealing with
them all day, would a LPG falcon be better or a Falcon be fitted with a
tartini system be better off in the long run?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #48
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunfairadvant
Steffo,

A quick question to ask you since you are driving cabs or dealing with
them all day, would a LPG falcon be better or a Falcon be fitted with a
Its my old man that's with the cabs, I can ask his opinion on what's best if you like. They mostly use Vialle (what's on the factory E-Gas Fords) stuff where he is.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 08-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #49
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

My first car was a Holden Prem with a 100L gas tank, $50 to fill up and 500kms of getting around. Restrictor pin had been removed by the guys who reco'd it for the RWC when I bought it. So I could get the full 100L (Not the 80% cap). Never had a problem once with it.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
Old 08-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #50
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Its my old man that's with the cabs, I can ask his opinion on what's best if you like. They mostly use Vialle (what's on the factory E-Gas Fords) stuff where he is.
That would be great thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #51
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunfairadvant
ould a LPG falcon be better or a Falcon be fitted with a
You're talking two totally different types of gas systems here. The system fitted to E-Gas Falcons features a special throttle body assembly in the upper intake manifold with a restrictive venturi that mixes fuel delivered by the regulator and the intake air and delivers it into the engine. The Tartarini SVI system is a sequential multipoint injection system (much the same as a petrol injection system) with individual injection nozzles per cylinder tapped into the lower intake manifold. An engine fitted with an SVI system does not have a restrictive venturi in the intake tract and therefore does not suffer from top-end power restrictions traditionally associated with LPG conversions. Also, because the fuel is being delivered to the lower intake manifold very close to the engine, the chances of backfire associated with LPG system is all but eliminated and you get better transient throttle response (as good as petrol).

Regards,
Dave
Old 08-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #52
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

never had a problem with duel fuel cars, we've had 2 in the past, my old mans car is DF and both my cars are DF. I make sure they run proper ignition systems and are fully serviced and maintained and i have only had one backfire out of the total of cars over the last 5 years and the car didnt explode. As so many have said TREAT THE CAR RIGHT AND IT WILL TREAT YOU RIGHT (unless its a 30 year old clapper with a million kays on the clock). And as some one previously mentioned Ive had a hell of alot closer calls with petrol as one of the fuel lines to the carb on my 5.0ltr split and was leaking fuel which could have dropped to the alternator and gone BOOM, lucky i noticed it within a minute of it leaking otherwise it could have ended up a disaster
Old 09-12-2007, 12:09 AM   #53
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

We have duel Gas tanks and apart from the fact they now need to be restamped (gettin close to 10yrs) we have never had any problems.

It was duel fuel for about 3yrs and never had a problem.

Now I have the same concern about it blowin up...only issue I worry about now is the vibrations from the sub woofer causing the tanks to blow!!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #54
savagE
Complete ****** n bogan

XF wagon Dual fuel = engine bay fire. Was the installers fault however.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:49 PM   #55
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My BA Xr6 Ute has done around 70 - 75,000km on a VSI LPG system in around 16 months. Never backfired once, never smelt of gas, never had the slightest safety issue. Its well serviced, and i estimate that i've saved somewhere around $8000 in fuel costs in that period.

The only people who have problems with LPG being dangerous are cheap skate owners who cut corners in home installations, dodgy installers, second rate second hand equipment, unsuitable equipment or poor or cost sutting servicing regimes.

I'd put LPG on a performance car any day of the week. If the car looks, sounds, performs and behaves exactly the same as its straight petrol counterparts who's the sucker? The person who's paying $1.48 per L for his 98RON optimax or the person paying .50cpl for 100RON LPG?

After owning a dual fuel vehicle, it'd be hard going back to throwing away all that cash on fuel.

Next time you spend $90 filling up your falcon, just think you could have filled it for $30 on LPG, driven the same distance, had pretty much identical servicing costs, gone just as quick, in the same style, and also taken home a slab of draught and 2 pizzas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:25 PM   #56
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Another dumb thread.
I've had more cars on gas than I can remember,and never had a problem.

I've had a car burn to the ground though,and guess what?No gas here:
Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #57
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
Another dumb thread.
I've had more cars on gas than I can remember,and never had a problem.

I've had a car burn to the ground though,and guess what?No gas here:
OH NO!!! Not Herbie the Love bug!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #58
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcsedan
(edit)Oh noes!!gas!boom! arrggghh! sky's falling!!
soo.. when do we see in your project thread the diesel engine going in?

My wifes XC 5.8 runs straight gas (GRA gear), and my XB ute will soon be dual fuel.
its getting AC soon too, as it'll be damn hot cruising around in my fireproof suit :hihi:
Old 03-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #59
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Default Re: Dual Fuel = Hell No!!!!!

I'd assume that it was a venturi gas set up, a decent injected gas set up probably wouldn't back fire, mine doesn't but my venturi system on my Vy does from time to time.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #60
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Dual Fuel = Hell No!!!!!

A ten year thread mine to say that ?

Closed
Closed Thread