Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Best Method for Buying on E-Bay

i know there are a few ebay users on here, i was just wondering what u think is the best method for buying stuff on Ebay? cheers guys

mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Bid high, and bid early ie- if an auction has 7 days to go, put your max bid in then, don't wait for it to go up. If it is economical to "Buy it Now" use that option, as you don't have to worry about the auction then!
Always be on line watching your item you have bid on as the auction finishes, otherwise someone else could get under you at the last minute.
Always check feedback from other buyers!!! Its a handy tool feedback!

And be careful, its bloody addictive!!!!

Last edited by Dazza XLT; 11-03-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Dazza XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

If your purchase is over $100 ebay will cover you if the seller rips you off, but not for purchases under that amount.
I have got some real bargains off there, XR6 gear knob in box for $40. Leather XR Steering wheel for $80, Xbox games for like half price!
8x 1:18 Scale 2001 V8 Supercar Models (All fords and all good teams too) for $400!!! All still in their boxes!
I got stooged a while back, lost $88 to a bloke selling half price new release DVD's... Bastard... It was just before christmas and he ripped 10-15 people off.... But i still would come out in front, as i saved a crapload on the other purchases!
Watch if you purchase items from Hong Kong or China, especially PC Programs etc, make sure they are compatible for aussie conditions, and make sure that customs don't sting you for import taxes!

Last edited by Dazza XLT; 11-03-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Dazza XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for that. What about when it comes to paying the seller thats what i actually meant, sorry should of made my self more clear.
mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Well have you joined up with Ebay yet? As its fairly easy to use! Even i can do it!
But here goes....

When you win an item, the seller should send you an email stating the total cost including postage (Sometimes not including postage).
You then click on Pay Now, and it takes you thru the "Checkout" which will have all their bank account details etc in there. Most people prefer internet transfer, others use money order. You can also pay via Credit Card thru Paypal www.paypal.com.au or Cash on Delivery.
On the item listing, it should state the preferred payment method down towards the bottom of the screen.
Hope that helps!
Old 11-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

But it is fairly easy to use, Ebay have some good help sections on their websites etc.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Use Paypal or something similar..... It comes with built in, purchase protection.

But beware of purchasing stuff from New users, or users that dont have a very high rating.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #8
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I dont get it when people sit and watch it til the last minute in case somebody outbids them. If you've entered the highest possible price your willing to pay and it gets outbid, so be it. Also if you bid early it makes it harder for the seller to retract the listing.
And most importantly - Ask the seller about postage !!! A seller can calculate postage to you if you send your postcode quite easily through Australia Posts website.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

The most secure way of buying overseas is through PayPal... no doubt about it.
I almost always buy domestic with Bank Deposit and have never had a drama. Although I would never deal with anyone that has a 0 feedback with a rating of less than 90%.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:27 PM   #10
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tend to rely a lot on there feedback & so far so good.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #11
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

wtf

Just say theres an item for $60 and its obviously worth $120. Its the last 2 mins and it has no bids, you wait till the last 30 seconds before bidding, 1. because nobody will outbid you quick enough (especially if you wait for the last 10 seconds) and 2. if you bid 6 days early, say $120, then the day comes and someone bids $121 then your screwed at the last second, plus if you bid $70 at the last 10 seconds when someone bid $61, you win.

In other words, BID your biggest amount you want to spend in the last few seconds. Thats how i got my xp radio, wheels, and other items cheap.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #12
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Work out what you think the item is worth and dont go over that amount. Always ask for postage cost as some on there take the "reasonable cost for postage and handling" to mean they can fleece you for whatever they reckon they can get away with. Always check the feedbacks too and see not only if its good but wether the person has been just buying to get their feedbacks up to then sell or been selling to
Old 12-03-2006, 02:40 AM   #13
XAGSV8
Member 178

Sniping is the best way. Put your maximum bid in the last 10 seconds and you always win it for much cheaper. Can't stand people who are silly enough to get into bidding wars early and drive the price up.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #14
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Sorry, but I completely disagree witgh bidding early...that will just drive the price up higher IMO.
Sniping is one of the best ways, i often do that.
Wait until the last few minutes of an auction, and bid, keep refreshing the page checking the bidding...thats the only way I do it where possible...
Old 12-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #15
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bidding early is stupid unless you want to drive the price up... Bidding with 30sec's to go is the best way
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #16
Hitman
Way over here

I've bought heaps of stuff on eBay, and I always snipe, it doesn't drive the price up and it a good adrenaline rush too
Also, I try to find things that are finishing late at night because the chances of someone getting into a sniping war with you are a reduced alot.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #17
BlackLS

The term is called "sniping"
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #18
Matty4
Banana

This is your friend...
http://www.auctionsniper.com/

Matty.

PS. If you do sign up please use my ebay userid, "mattyfour" as a referral, that way I can earn free snipes. If you register and then get friends to sign up you can get free snipes as well. A snipe only costs you $0.25.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:57 PM   #19
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh agreed sniping is the only way to go, bids on the last second or 2 of auction, cant go wrong
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #20
devo
new to the blue team

bidding early on over inflates the price. Snipings the way to go and make sure you are getting the real deal ( not some cheap bootleg copy-hiking gear particularly). beware of hk, china based sellers as some time the courier is very very expensive. happy bidding
devo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post