Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
Ponch
Buggered if I know....

Default Is there a 'perfect build up' list?

Hi all....

I'm new here, and I'm looking at building an XY.....or possibly and XC Coupe...haven't decided yet. I'm not new to this, I've built from the gounrd up an HQ, and an AP6 Valiant....plus done a V8 conversion on a TD Cortina. I'm a mechanic by trade, and dad owned a spray shop for 40 odd years....so I have a crack at bodywork and paint too.

My question is....has anybody ever listed "instructions" or the "list" for the perfect build? Like....start here....do this.....then presto? The reason I ask, is it usually ends up costing me a hell of a lot more than I had anticipated....so I figured I would try and drawn on others' experience, and see if I can save a few bucks to pour back into the car for more rewarding items.

Thanks in advance.

Ponch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

G,day ponch,
you might get a much better response in the "car specific" forums ie : classic falcons or the like.

If you dont mind a good read, check out one of the project cars threads as they document and have pics to see all the way through their build

Cheers Kev

As original from showroom floor with all options
Additions - Pacemakers turbo400 3" exhaust
Custom cai prototype No 4
Stage 1 shift kit with neck brace
Still to come DIVORCE
KEV EB XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Hi ponch, I think the way to do it is work out a budget, then work out what you want to do to the car with that budget , and then stick to that plan like flies to.........fly paper.

You can always modify later on . An try work in steps , if you doing heaps of modifications , dont get the paint done first up ! Having a nice new engine bay isnt a fun experience if your trying to fit a different motor and gearbox! nothing worse than haveing the paint job you always wanted if you finally get your new wheels and find you need to roll the guard lips to get them to fit ! stuff like that!

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post