Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
creative
I am Batman

Default Number plates

A general enquiry for you guys!

I have found some plates that I really want! They are on a car that hasnt been registered for about 14years. I have spoken to the RTA and they say the plates are to be surrendered and then I can apply for them at "the current" rates. Absolute rip off!

Just wondering if anyone has managed to retain a set of plates after restoring a car or something like that. The plates are too good to lose and the car is going to the scrap yard and I dont want to pay the yearly cost of having plates. Happy to fork out a lump sum to buy them!

Is there a way.. or do I have to suck it up!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Default Re: Number plates

Don't know about NSW but QLD you can personalize any plate for about 40 bucks
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
creative
I am Batman

The issue is the length of time the car has been unregistered and the plates werent put on hold (according to the RTS).... but did that apply 14 years ago?

I might see if the current owner will contact the RTA and see what they can do. I just hope they can be saved with minimal fuss!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

This user likes this post:
Old 03-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yep that might be a problem. All I now I had a set of black and white plates on my XY and when I put it on club rego, I asked if I could keep them. They said that I could personalize them for 40 dollars. I said bargain.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #5
Lunch
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Don't know about NSW but QLD you can personalize any plate for about 40 bucks
Mate, personalised plates in Vic start at around $500
(Sorry for off topic)
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yeah they are around the same here about 450, but to personalize the normal ones already on a car is only 40.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
snowcone

A small hijack here - the special colour plates in NSW cost more and an annual fee so what is to stop me repainting my nice new black and yellow plates (yuck) the same colour as the custom ones.
I imagine there is probably some bullcrap law that says you can't deface them, but if the vehicle is fully registered then I guess the Police recognition camera is not going to differentiate the colour of the plate as it probably only checks the actual numbers and letters, and the guy doing the annual inspection is going to be in the same book, so I reckon I will repaint my plates
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
A small hijack here - the special colour plates in NSW cost more and an annual fee so what is to stop me repainting my nice new black and yellow plates (yuck) the same colour as the custom ones.
I imagine there is probably some bullcrap law that says you can't deface them, but if the vehicle is fully registered then I guess the Police recognition camera is not going to differentiate the colour of the plate as it probably only checks the actual numbers and letters, and the guy doing the annual inspection is going to be in the same book, so I reckon I will repaint my plates
If you repaint them they will no longer be reflective and therefore illegal
Old 03-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Yeah they are around the same here about 450, but to personalize the normal ones already on a car is only 40.
When you say 'personalise' to you mean 'reserve'?

I have the plates from my old XY here on the shelf next to me. I have had them reserved for 10 years and it cost me only $26 up front, nothing ongoing.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
It's called number plates calculated to deceive and that's the offence for what you describe.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Every year I ring up and tell them to keep my plates on my car as they ask me to hand them in as the car is not registered.
They ask me why and I say its being restored and they are fine with that.
Costs me nothing.
I believe she said I could just pay a one off fee and keep them for life.
Can't remember.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #12
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
When you say 'personalise' to you mean 'reserve'?

I have the plates from my old XY here on the shelf next to me. I have had them reserved for 10 years and it cost me only $26 up front, nothing ongoing.
No mate I have never heard that term used for plates before. No they become your own plate. Which you can use on any car you wish to register them too. In queensland you only pay once for personlize plates, then they are yours forever, unless you want to sell them.

Last edited by XBROO; 03-02-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #13
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
It's called number plates calculated to deceive and that's the offence for what you describe.
You can still paint the old black and white plates, but not the newer ones, yes you are correct.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

I dont think you'll win against the RMS but its worth a shot. From what I remember it needs to be the original purchaser/owner of the plates that hangs on to them so to speak, but if they went with the car then you might be right.

Slightly OT but listening to Ray Hadley this morning the Red on Black and Blue on Black plates in NSW are about to be recalled because they can't be easily read - Police ANPR and speed cameras etc can see them but the concern is that if something was to happen on the street it would be difficult for a bystander etc to read the plate and report it. He had Duncan Gay on there saying they are going to recall all the plates and the owners will get new ones at no cost to them, same content but "slightly different" finishes.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:55 PM   #15
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW I believe you have 3 months to hand in you plates and retain them. after that they are gone.

If the plates you want are original issue yellow ones, no chance of getting them back on a car. You would need to hand them in. RMS would then destroy them and you can then get the plate remade and reissued to you at the going rate.

I want some original issue NSW yellow plates for my old GT, the only way is to buy a register car fitted with those type of plates and then transfer the plates onto the car you wish......or store them at RMS.

Someone cannot even sell you those type of plates, they must be on a registered car to transfer them to your name without having them destroyed and then attracting an annual fee.

If anyone has a way please tell me as I cannot think of one.

I had plates on my BF GT that I wanted to keep, rego lapsed for 6 months (plates were still on the car and brand new). RMS told me, hand in the plates we will destroy them, then pay us 200 bucks and we will give them back to you.

Last edited by Stefan; 03-02-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #16
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when I took over my fatehrs plates they weren't out of the system, he died we sold his car and transferd the plates to me

BUT here's the point, lady at the RMS counter tried to get me to go on to the current annual fee fore personalised plates (these were originally issued in the 50's 2 letter 3 number black & white plates fortunately an old bloke getting his licence renewed at the next window piped in and said What if the plates were gifted to him by my farther (or in this case my mother as his widow), that caused the RMS attendant to do some searching and there is a mechanism in the system for "Gifting" the plates or there was in 2010 anyway, so now I have my dads plates and no annual fee

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #17
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I dun'no, it used to be that you spotted a set of old period correct plates on an old car and you new it was most likely a survivor and had been kept reg'd all it's life. These days there's so many options and ways to get period correct looking plates that you can't tell if the car is a resto , a survivor or some wildly modded monster posing as a sleeper.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #18
creative
I am Batman

Well enquires led me to believe theres no way I can get them. Keep getting the " surrender them and re apply for them" line. Aka... we want to make some money off you for nothing so given up on them. Shame!

Its an absolute scam if you ask me. Fair play you can only buy plates at the rta, but you dont actually own them, you rent them. I have no qualms about spending $1k on a set of plates once, but I certainly will not pay an annual fee just to use them!

Last edited by creative; 04-02-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #19
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Well enquires led me to believe theres no way I can get them. Keep getting the " surrender them and re apply for them" line. Aka... we want to make some money off you for nothing so given up on them. Shame!

Its an absolute scam if you ask me. Fair play you can only buy plates at the rta, but you dont actually own them, you rent them. I have no qualms about spending $1k on a set of plates once, but I certainly will not pay an annual fee just to use them!
It is a scam

and that's why even though my wife hasn't had a 351 since the ZC she still has her abbreviated name and 351 on her plates as we got them for her before you had to pay the anual (it seems the sware filter considered my miss spelling of anual as **** and ***'d it out ) fee, be stuffed if I was going to change them for more relevant numbers and start paying every year

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post