Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default looking to buy a kitchen benchtop cutting jig

any ex builders/chippies who have one of these as surplus to their requirements.

wife say's "when we get back it's time to replace the kitchen" so I must obey.......if you have one of these jigs kicking around and wish to sell, let me know.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
james22
With da Warlords

Default Re: looking to buy a kitchen benchtop cutting jig

So your chasing a jigsaw? Used for cutting in cooktops, sinks into the laminated benchtops?

If thats the case, just go down to bunnings and buy a cheapie.. Only $50-$60

P.S - I'm a carpenter / joiner by trade

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22 View Post
So your chasing a jigsaw? Used for cutting in cooktops, sinks into the laminated benchtops?

If thats the case, just go down to bunnings and buy a cheapie.. Only $50-$60

P.S - I'm a carpenter / joiner by trade

no mate this is the jig that guides the 30mm cutter guide bush mounted in a router.

carba-tec ( http://www.carbatec.com.au/cmt-kitchen-jig_c20392 ) have them but $240 plus freight is a bit rich seeing as I only have 3 cuts plus 8 bolt recesses to make.

the routers and router base I have, the 30mm guide bush I have, the 1/2" cutter I have, the jig I don't.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 19-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
james22
With da Warlords

If you lived anywhere near here, I would cut you a jig to do your mason mitres on our CnC machine. I agree that's a ripoff. We just make our own jig on cnc.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 19-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Just make one from some mdf
Old 19-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22 View Post
If you lived anywhere near here, I would cut you a jig to do your mason mitres on our CnC machine. I agree that's a ripoff. We just make our own jig on cnc.
more than willing to pay freight plus costs........if I had the measurements I would make one myself out of MDF........our worktop is .600mm

already done a couple for my radial arm saw with a moulding head and knives to make up the style and rails plus raised panel.

doors will be either blackwood or tassie oak, haven't made my mind up yet.

I've installed a few kitchens for friends over the years but always had the postform mitres cut for me by a local kitchen manufacturer.

Old 19-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
more than willing to pay freight plus costs........if I had the measurements I would make one myself out of MDF........our worktop is .600mm

already done a couple for my radial arm saw with a moulding head and knives to make up the style and rails plus raised panel.

doors will be either blackwood or tassie oak, haven't made my mind up yet.

I've installed a few kitchens for friends over the years but always had the postform mitres cut for me by a local kitchen manufacturer.

No worries pop. I'll cut one up on our CnC. Can you pm me your number? Just grab some details

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

This user likes this post:
Old 19-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks mate, PM sent.

Old 14-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
wils
Starter Motor

Quote:
no mate this is the jig that guides the 30mm cutter guide bush mounted in a router.

carba-tec ( http://www.carbatec.com.au/cmt-kitchen-jig_c20392 ) have them but $240 plus freight is a bit rich seeing as I only have 3 cuts plus 8 bolt recesses to make.

the routers and router base I have, the 30mm guide bush I have, the 1/2" cutter I have, the jig I don't.

Hi PS
Are you still looking for one of these worktop cutting jigs, I have one for sale!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251357077...84.m1558.l2649

Cheers
Wils
wils is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
leyton01
Starter Motor

@poppa smurf

How did you go with finding a work top jig in the end? Any luck?
leyton01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day mate, I bought the one off James but couldn't figure out the exact placement so I bought one off Ebay from pommie land.......

cut all my bench tops and have them in place, currently working on the Tasmanian Oak, raised panel doors.

the end is in sight.

Old 18-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
leyton01
Starter Motor

Quote:
G'day mate, I bought the one off James but couldn't figure out the exact placement so I bought one off Ebay from pommie land.......

cut all my bench tops and have them in place, currently working on the Tasmanian Oak, raised panel doors.

the end is in sight.
Looks like that is the way to go - there is a Trend one that can be had fairly cheap on ebay. There is also a Silverline but I have read bad reviews about it.
Old 18-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #13
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyton01 View Post
Looks like that is the way to go - there is a Trend one that can be had fairly cheap on ebay. There is also a Silverline but I have not read goodd reviews about it.
I bought the silverline, very basic unit and didn't come with instructions nor pegs, I downloaded the instructions (would have been buggered without them) from the web and made a set of pegs.

there are far better ones on the market but I didn't want to pay $400 - $500 for something I was only going to use once.

Old 18-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
leyton01
Starter Motor

Did you find the Silverline accurate? There are a couple of 1 star reviews on amazon.co.uk suggesting it is out by a few mms (might just be a bad batch).

The trend one is basically the same price on ebay ($115 shipped which I think is reasonable) and comes with the pins:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trend-COM...-/191041467184

No reviews on amazon for it but trend stuff seems to have an ok reputation.
Old 18-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the silverline was a fraction out but I am used to messing about with timber and steel so I made a few adjustments.

I wouldn't recommend the jig to someone not wise to the ways of jigs and construction in general, but for me it is fine.

except when I prematurely lifted the router before the bit had stopped, widened the guide slot just a little, but I used the other side of the guide slot and it is fine, for $100 it can't be beat.

it was the only one at that price at the time, but I see now a few are coming down in price.