Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default Phone cases- Samsung galaxy s4

A mate of mine owns a phone shop and gave me 12 different phone cases to review for the Samsung galaxy s4. I'm told many of these cases are made for many popular phone models and possess similar attributes. but the cases I have are specifically made for Samsung galaxy s4. I have a mixture of brand named expensive cases and el cheapo cases.

I will provide a short paragraph about them and then rank them amongst the group.

1. Otter box commuter, 2 part case, tpu and polycarbonate, very big thick case providing the ultimate protection. Has tpu around edges and tough polycarbonate on back, rubber covering ports and buttons. If you were going to war this is the case you would take with you, tough as nails a little slippery in the hand (good to get in and out of pocket), thick lip around front of screen. In my mind a little thick to use everyday, but great for a tradesman or person who throws about their phone. Doesnt have a cover over the phone screen, id suggest a thin screen protector to compliement it (included in package) Cost is $40

Rapid_ba rank# 3

2. No name defender case, another two part tpu and polycarbonate case, similar style to otter box but buttons don't work as well, hard to press etc, looks a little cheaply finished, rubber not as sturdy and moves about a bit. Protection would be almost as good as otter box for $4.99 but a nasty looking case for such an expensive phone.

Rapid_ba rank # 12

3. Genuine Samsung flip cover, replaces battery cover on back of phone and provides a folio style case. Looks nice but terrible to use. Can't really use it one handed unless you bend it right back around. Offers scratch protection for your screen in your pocket and bag but so would a thin screen protector. Sides of phone completely unprotected. Offers little or no drop or shock protection at all. Looks nice sitting on a table at a cafe but does little else. Cost is $40 and its more style than offering any protection

Rapid_ba rank # 8

4. Spigen brand slim armor case. A two part case of tpu and polycarbonate. Covers all edges of phone, and hard polycarbonate covers back. I suspect the polycarbonate is susceptible to scratches easily but it seems ok to me so far. Microphone, port holes are perfectly positioned, lip is not as big as otter box case, buttons work perfect. this case is a really good mid point between good protection and sleek looks. It's heaps thinner than otter box case but offers a fair amount of protection. Lip is not as thick, ports are exposed and backing not as thick but its a perfect mid point. If you are not a tradesman and phone cops a hammering, this is a top case. Cost is around $35 and quality shines through, for an expensive phone you should get a proper case and this is one of my favourites.

Rapid_ba rank # 2

5. Spigen brand neo hybrid case. A two part case which is tpu and polycarbonate. Even slimmer than the spigen slim armor case and a real smart design. The polycarbonate fits on as a bumper surround over the tpu, buttons work perfect, holes are perfectly cut, this is a nicer looker than the slim armor but a bit thinner. Would offer decent protection but I'd rather the otter box or slim armor wrapped around it if I dropped it from my ear. Really nice looking case at $35

Rapid _ba rank # 4

6. No name hard plastic case, cost is $2.50, plain Jane black hard shell that clicks over back of phone, exposes all buttons and ports completely. It would offer some protection but depends how you drop it as not all parts of phone are covered. Would probably crack with a heavy drop but better than phone cracking.. It looks very smart as its a minimalist design and shows fingerprints badly. If you don't believe spending money on a case is worth it, this is a good buy.

Rapid _ba rank # 7

7. Rock brand slim hard case. Cost is $9, similar to case above but looks worse, covers less, probably a bit harder is construction but it looks no good and protects not much. Exposes buttons and ports, depends how you drop phone but may save it.

Rapid_ba rank # 11

8. Genuine Samsung protective cover +, this is a one piece design, hard back and rubber which covers all edges of phone. This is as slim as can be yet offers protection. Buttons feel perfect, just like no case on it, holes for microphone and ports and perfect. Absolutely perfect. It offers enough protection similar to the spigen slim armor but looks sweet, branded Samsung and perfectly made. If your not a tradesman and need more than acceptable protection and keeping the Samsung look, this is the case for you. Cost $29

Rapid_ba rank # 1

9. No name s curve case, cost $2 on eBay, a tpu case which covers all edges, offers great protection, a little bit thin on the back, would be on par with spigen neo hybrid for protection but doesn't look a s good as the expensive cases, buttons work more than ok and holes for microphone and ports cut out pretty well on line. Offers great protection for price, just a shame to hide such a nice phone in a basic looking case like this. This would by far be the best bang for buck case out of the bunch.

Rapid_ba rank # 6

10. Obliq xtreme pro case, costs $25, this is a great case, tough and hard as nails, really firm yet slim as well. Made of tpu and hard polycarbonate but stuck together. This offers extreme protection almost like the otter box but slimmer. The let down on this case is the button covers make it a bit hard to press. The rubber is pretty hard and doesn't feel nice and sweet to press like the genuine Samsung or the spigen cases. Holes are cutout perfect. If the buttons were a little easier I'd probably have this case at number 2..

Rapid_ba rank # 5

11. Mercury flip case. Similar to the genuine Samsung flip case, folio style but instead of replacing back cover has a hard case which clips onto phone so there is an additional layer of protection. Also offers a slot for a credit or debit card on the inside of the screen folio cover so that is nice. Leaves all the buttons and ports completely exposed. Offers limited drop protection as some parts of the phone are still exposed. The case which clips onto the back of the phone is a little flimsy and would be easy to crack particularly around the volume controls etc. looks like a nice case but limited protection in a drop scenario. More so for scratches in a bag or pocket. Cost is $10

Rapid_ba rank# 9

12. No name flip case, cost $4, folio style flip case, similar to mercury case with cover that fits over the back of the Samsung galaxy s4 battery cover and has a front folio surly cover for the screen. The back case is more solid than the mercury version material wise but not finished as well, it has a magnet in it which wakes up the screen when opened which is nice.

Rapid_ba rank # 10

So that's it, for such a nice handset I'd suggest spending a bit more on a case, you can't go wrong buying any of the top 6 mentioned depending upon your taste but for me it's the genuine Samsung protective + case in the navy blue or white.... Well I've got both here

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 09-06-2013 at 12:23 AM.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Phone cases- Samsung galaxy s4

With phone case, I spend couple bucks on eBay.

When it wares out, throw it out and get another one. I found the cheap ones do the same thing as the expensive ones.

I only have a cover in my phone because I don't want to crack the screen on the iPhone.

The cheap case does exactly that, never cracked the screen.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

If i had a SG4 I would try one of those "power cases" it has a 3200mah battery in it aswell as a flip screen protector like the genuine phone case
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
RAPID_BA
Banned

Phone cases reviewed... Best part is I get to keep them all

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 21-07-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good review mate, i'm on my 3rd cover because i was not happy with the first two, the one i eventually settled on has like a plastic snap in case the whole phone goes into with like a book case on the outside of that that protrudes probably 2 or 3 mm past the edges of the phone also covering the glass with a very easy to use magnetic clip to keep it shut when finished, putting the phone into it is very easy, getting the bugger out if you have other duties for the phone like car cradle can take a bit of practice, button access for big fingered buggers are also a tad fiddly but i have gotten used to it, all in all pretty happy with mine, cant see a brand name on it .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
With phone case, I spend couple bucks on eBay.

When it wares out, throw it out and get another one. I found the cheap ones do the same thing as the expensive ones.

I only have a cover in my phone because I don't want to crack the screen on the iPhone.

The cheap case does exactly that, never cracked the screen.
You don't need to worry about cracking the screen on a s4, s3 or s2...
After two years with no case, or screen protector on my s2 I had only two very minor marks on my screen.

The only reason I'm thinking about a case for my s4 is because I find it quite slippery to hold onto. I don't think they actually need any protection unless they are being treated truly brutally.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m trying to get into good phone practices, i`ve dropped mine about 4 times now on its face without the cover, so far got away with unscathed(yes i'm a wrecker), if i have it in the car cradle i sometimes just grab the case and put it on in the house later(more fool me), i wont be doing this anymore, straight on with the cover before i step out of the henry.
Old 13-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
RAPID_BA
Banned

The s4 is known to crack the screen if dropped on a corner so chuck one on.

trust me just spend the $20-30 on a quality case and you wont be disappointed. Its an expensive phone, no good to hide it in a cheap case.

On the more expensive cases i find the holes are aligned perfect, feel nice in the hand, actually protect the phone and the buttons work perfect. Skimp and the phone will feel cheap
Old 15-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Dingo47
Starter Motor

Six dollar gell case off ebay has save mine on many occasions
Dingo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 02:45 AM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

My $2 case of ebay looks and does exactly what my previous $30 case did.

Did have silicone case shaped like a cassette, but it was a pain.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Donate some of those cases to the Ford Forums fraternity?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

Bit of a thread mine here, does anyone know where you can buy the spigen brand cases in Perth for an S4?
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no idea old mate, but I would say have a wander around the shopping centres, those phone accessory sellers are every where these days, if not there are some on ebay.