Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #31
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Anyone here work in oh&s whs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
That is interesting, which State and is that an employer requirement or a Government requirement as I haven't heard of it before, I work for a TAFE and we are generally right on to that stuff
I am Vic based trainer/assessor and as of 30 June 14 , TAELLN401B becomes a core unit of TAE and no trainer will be able to train without the unit qual. Doin mine this Friday.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #32
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
that is your interpretation, most certainly isn't mine, this is where OHS becomes a pain in the **** in some peoples eyes, people decide to interpret OHS to suit their own goals
people have a business to run. OHS is a cost centre, of course a business is going to aim to minimise it.

and before you say employers are morally bankrupt for thinking this way, remember that indirectly, you're to blame, every time you shop on price.

you cant have your cake and eat it too.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #33
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG65TE View Post
I am Vic based trainer/assessor and as of 30 June 14 , TAELLN401B becomes a core unit of TAE and no trainer will be able to train without the unit qual. Doin mine this Friday.
I have the Unit, I did it last year as part of my TAE upgrade, just hadn't heard of it being a 'mandatory' requirement
Old 15-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #34
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
people have a business to run. OHS is a cost centre, of course a business is going to aim to minimise it.

and before you say employers are morally bankrupt for thinking this way, remember that indirectly, you're to blame, every time you shop on price.

you cant have your cake and eat it too.
OHS shouldn't be a 'cost centre' it should be absorbed into 'operational costs', that is where it belongs.

I don't buy on price, my first choice is ALWAYS Australian (because we can afford to), when I can't get Australian then I may shop on price, but I am a great believer in 'what you pay for is what you get', but we digress far far from the OP's original request

Oh, and nothing wrong with a bit of cake as long it is a Pav
Old 15-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #35
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
that is your interpretation, most certainly isn't mine, this is where OHS becomes a pain in the **** in some peoples eyes, people decide to interpret OHS to suit their own goals or agenda - I rest my case or agenda (refer to the 5th sentence in my 2nd post above)
Just realised there was a typo in there - sorry
Old 15-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #36
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh, and nothing wrong with a bit of cake as long it is a Pav
We can definitely agree on that!
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #37
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

got bailed up a few weeks back doing a water pump changeout on a friends car..... guessing it was an OH&S type because they asked me if i had a trolley jack, then explained they were just checking if i had axle stands for when i got under the car.....

this was after i'd told them what I was doing, and has shown them the failed water pump that I had removed.....

i then asked exactly why I would need to get under the car, then not so politely told them to **** off back to thier office and harass someone else..... preferably on a topic they actually knew something about.....
Old 18-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #38
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so they are ***-holes for trying to ensure that you don't hurt yourself? hmmmmm!!!!!!

A OHS professional can't possibly know about every thing, as I stated earlier my background was in transport, training and quality assurance yet I was employed by a multinational food manufacturer, why? because I had the skill set they were looking for.

It didn't stop me, it was all about your approach to people, listen to them, get them to explain the process to you, sometimes fresh eyes can see problems that the regular operator can't.
Old 18-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #39
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise View Post
If you’re going to do a course in OH&S, probably best to avoid anything to do with the road transport industry. A lot of big companies use people who have NFI to enforce rules that are supposed to promote “safe working” practices.
You should see them up here on Barrow Island (Gorgon Project) there like flies, only a 100 times more annoying.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #40
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have the Unit, I did it last year as part of my TAE upgrade, just hadn't heard of it being a 'mandatory' requirement
That's a good tae course. It doesn't become a core unit til next year.

FYI for everyone. You can do c4 whs online at the moment for 500 bucks. That's pretty cheap if ya lookin to do it.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #41
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
so they are ***-holes for trying to ensure that you don't hurt yourself? hmmmmm!!!!!!

A OHS professional can't possibly know about every thing, as I stated earlier my background was in transport, training and quality assurance yet I was employed by a multinational food manufacturer, why? because I had the skill set they were looking for.

It didn't stop me, it was all about your approach to people, listen to them, get them to explain the process to you, sometimes fresh eyes can see problems that the regular operator can't.
In this particular case, I'd made him aware of what I was doing, that I'd already removed the faulty part and was about to fit the new part, nevermind that there wasnt a jack anywhere in sight and the vehicle was at its normal ride height, the fact that I already had the part off shouldve been enough for him to know that I wasnt getting under the damn car....
Old 20-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzie View Post
Damo to be honest getting a position at work safe isn't the hardest thing to do. But experience in a sector really pays off there. I don't know what you do now but there is also a chance it could be a pay cut too.

I'd be interested in work safe too but I'm not about to go backwards for a 9-5 job
I'll be a qualified auto elec next year, so I'll be on around $50,000 a year if I'm lucky.

Or I'll go qualified and then get fired (which looks likely, lol).
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #43
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
In this particular case, I'd made him aware of what I was doing, that I'd already removed the faulty part and was about to fit the new part, nevermind that there wasnt a jack anywhere in sight and the vehicle was at its normal ride height, the fact that I already had the part off shouldve been enough for him to know that I wasnt getting under the damn car....
makes sense to me, but I do have some mechanical knowledge, but common sense says you ask questions polite questions if you don't know?
Old 22-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #44
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm all for safety, but one of the business I travel to for work has gone mad on oh&s / whs.
In one situation they actually get us to do something that I and all of my co workers believe is more dangerous than what we usually do everywhere else.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #45
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I'm all for safety, but one of the business I travel to for work has gone mad on oh&s / whs.
In one situation they actually get us to do something that I and all of my co workers believe is more dangerous than what we usually do everywhere else.
Then you need to report it as a 'hazard', complete their hazard reporting paperwork