The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #61
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: New QLD Road Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
THIS is QLD playing catch-up with ARR amendments. Its an ongoing process, year by year.

I expect this placement measure will be before a UN road safety Working Party, so that it supplements as an amendment, The UN Convention on Road Traffic, stance on the subject matter. AUS - doing its bit for the world!
Whoever worked out the placement of triangles (1 before. 1 alongside and 1 infront) needs to get out in the real world.

The way they have it set out now means that when approaching a broken down vehicle on a two lane highway, (ie:most of our interstate hwy's) you only really see 2 triangles at most, and only 1 on approaching it!

The old way (3 behind the broken down vehicle) meant that you had 3 in a line, showing exactly where it was and how far out it was into the road.
Old 13-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #62
prydey
Rob

is the one placed in front so you know when you've passed the stricken vehicle?
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #63
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Here's a good explanation of what to do at a roundabout.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Que...undabouts.aspx

What is new for me is that when going straight ahead, I now have to signal left as I turn off the roundabout. AFAIK this wasn't a requirement previously. All the other rules I was already following.
The QLD diagrams and video don't cover all roundabout markings. Those of you at Tuggerah, NSW will know what I mean. Here, we have in the left-lane both a left turn and a right turn arrow, that also points ahead (sorry NTFa:-) The right lane is marked with a right arrow.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #64
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
it wasn't mandatory in all states until sometime in the last decade. certainly wasn't a law when i got my licence 20 years ago.
Yep, here in Vic it was never mentioned and I've never done it.
I got my licence 25 years ago.

I treat them as I would any other intersection, if I'm turning left, I indicate left, if I'm turning right, I indicate right and if I'm continuing straight through, I don't indicate at all, as I'm not changing my position on the road I'm on, merely navigating a bend in the road.
Old 13-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #65
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

[QUOTE=prydey;4906u indicate to joindabout? all this talk aut ite circular roait's and only needing to inte to leave it. ely using that logic, shou also indicate to join it??

not sure ho can be stated they don't work. the ? nes that think that, are normally the ones in a hurry to be somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Because there is only one way on ...drive , noone cares when you got on it , go around all day for what its worth ...i can say it a thousand times Dont use an indicator your continuing around...indicate left your leaving ...now I can get on .. get it ?
Didn't think so .
Scenario , continuous traffic coming from my right But they all go left , continuously..no indication they were turning off this goes on for hrs when should I pull onto roundabout, or should I just wait I'm in too big of a hurry...
No other sign needed at all ever ...logical ? Pm if you want me to describe more , but by all means you can explain to me why the current ruling works , I'm all ears seriously.
Old 13-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #66
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
Yep, here in Vic it was never mentioned an've never done it.
Iy licence 25 yI ars ?go.

I treat them as I would any other intersection, if I'm turning left indicate left, if I'm turning right, I indht and if I'm continuing straight through, I don't indicate at all, as I'm not changing my position on the road I'm on, merely navigating a bend in the road.
I see what you all are trying to say but thats only good if the vehicles waiting are watching where you came on , and the roundabout has 100. % visability ..take away that and noone has a clue what your doing,.
When you indicate right are you taking the first second third forth fifth or sixth exit , just so i know ?
Old 13-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #67
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75 View Post
Scenario , continuous traffic coming from my right But they all go left , continuously..no indication they were turning off this goes on for hrs when should I pull onto roundabout, or should I just wait I'm in too big of a hurry...
No other sign needed at all ever ...logical ? Pm if you want me to describe more , but by all means you can explain to me why the current ruling works , I'm all ears seriously.
As some of us have already explained, all those (myself included) that are turning left should be indicating left.........simple.
The fact that they are failing to indicate isn't a shortcoming of the roundabout system, it's a shortcoming in their driving skills IMHO.
This user likes this post:
Old 13-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #68
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I see what you all are trying to say but thats only good if the vehicles waiting are watching where you came on , and the roundabout has 100. % visability ..take away that and noone has a clue what your doing,.
When you indicate right are you taking the first second third forth fifth or sixth exit , just so i know ?
Unless it's a really, really big roundabout (like the one in Goondiwindi with a lake in the middle) when right and left indication can be helpful.
Old 13-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #69
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Or rocky or yeppoon or Bundy ,or a roundabout !we are not talking About silent coppers are we , but obviously are (by the answers) are talking about little one laners, which are pretty much an intersection without signs which I digress , yes indicate as normal it's only a 6 foot lump of concrete, but any bigger then that and it is an extension of the road your on with exits ...not straight forward itty bitty silent coppers .then what we are saying is the only way .Noone here can make it any easier than that ,
Old 13-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #70
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or rocky or yeppoon or Bundy ,or a roundabout !we are not talking About silent coppers are we , but obviously are (by the answers) are talking about little one laners, which are pretty much an intersection without signs which I digress , yes indicate as normal it's only a 6 foot lump of concrete, but any bigger then that and it is an extension of the road your on with exits ...not straight forward itty bitty silent coppers .then what we are saying is the only way .Noone here can make it any easier than that ,
Roundabouts should be treated like a fire. It doesn't matter how big it is ....... Treat it the same way and you won't be burnt.
Old 13-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #71
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

I'm not fussed mate I don't drive where there are traffic lights or roundabouts, leave that to the masses my life consists of work , home, boat ramp .

Im out lost interest , do as you like ...i don't trust many road users being a bike owner , even if you understand the rules don't mean you will abide by them .tried explaining but it's really lost on some ..enjoy your way ...drive safe .don't worry I won't pull out on you
Old 13-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #72
PlukaDuck

This thread is hilarious.
And judging by the responses you can see why there are accidents.
Where in Australia do you turn right into a roundabout?
You always turn left entering into a roundabout and exit left.
Very simple really......for some
Old 13-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #73
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
So if I see you on a roundabout with no indicator on, how do I know if you are:

a) Following the rules but currently do not require an indicator (i.e. going straight but haven't reached your exit yet)?
b) Doing it your own way because you think it's correct/better?
c) Too lazy to indicate?
d) Baffled by roundabouts and have no idea how to indicate properly?

Laws that haven't been thought out properly can make roundabouts unnecessarily painful, and everybody doing it differently only exacerbates this.
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #74
PlukaDuck

Why do you need an indicator on to enter a roundabout????????
You can only enter turning left and until you indicate to exist you go around in circles.
Another public servant who got a promotion from mac donalds microwave cook to road traffic authority
Old 13-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #75
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlukaDuck View Post
Another public servant who got a promotion from mac donalds microwave cook to road traffic authority
Who are you referring to mate? Me?

Here is the rule for roundabouts
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Que...undabouts.aspx

I don't agree with this rule.
I'll repeat the question.
Quote:
So if I see you on a roundabout with no indicator on, how do I know if you are:

a) Following the rules but currently do not require an indicator (i.e. going straight but haven't reached your exit yet)?
b) Doing it your own way because you think it's correct/better?
c) Too lazy to indicate?
d) Baffled by roundabouts and have no idea how to indicate properly?

Laws that haven't been thought out properly can make roundabouts unnecessarily painful, and everybody doing it differently only exacerbates this.
Old 13-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #76
PlukaDuck

What?
Do you work for the RTA?
Did you make the rules that cause accidents and cinfusion???

If yes to both then then I guess it could apply to you
Old 13-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #77
EVLKNEVL

I don't work for the RTA.
I agree with the theory that indicators should only be used when exiting roundabouts.
Unfortunately, that isn't the rule.
If I drove according to that theory even though I knew it wasn't the rule, I'd be more likely to cause accidents and confusion than if I followed the rule.
Nobody should be confused by a motorist who is following the rule correctly.
So I follow the rule, even though I don't agree with it.

Make sense?
Old 14-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #78
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Yer but as I said go on , put your right indicator on ...now tell me what exit your getting off , the rules don't work in practice.....happy for you to explain it past what is written
Old 14-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #79
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post

. (The poster who said that he was never taught to indicate left on exit by a driving school makes me worry about the ability of some driving schools!)
If you're talking about me, re-read my post. I said that I didn't have to indicate left on exit when going straight through the roundabout. And it wasn't a driving school, it was my actual driving exam!

They were the rules in 1987 when I got my license. BTW I never went to a driving school, didn't have to in those days. Just had to pass the exam.

Until now, I was under the impression that I did not have to indicate left on exit when going straight through a roundabout. And yes, I do indicate left on exit when I'm turning right at a roundabout.
Old 14-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #80
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:

Im out lost interest , do as you like ...i don't trust many road users being a bike owner , even if you understand the rules don't mean you will abide by them .
Guess it's like about 90% of bike riders I see each day that don't follow the road rules.

But yes at a big massive roundabout where other cars can't see where I got on it, I would indicate left on exit even if I was going straight ahead. I see that as a courteous thing to do even though it wasn't mandatory until now.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #81
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

I was always taught to indicate into, and out of a roundabout. Don't see the real issue understanding it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
The QLD diagrams and video don't cover all roundabout markings. Those of you at Tuggerah, NSW will know what I mean. Here, we have in the left-lane both a left turn and a right turn arrow, that also points ahead (sorry NTFa:-) The right lane is marked with a right arrow.
and that's when your coming from Wyong direction isn't it...

Cant wait until the lights go in there...
Old 14-10-2013, 03:35 AM   #82
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Guess it's like )bout 90% of bike riders I see each don't follow the road rules. t yes at a big massive roundabout where other cars can't see where I got on it, I would indicate left on exit even if I was going straight ahead. I see that as a courteous thing to do even though it wasn't mandatory until now.
That's what I wanted to hear your honor by default the only signal needed , courteous and all ...have a nice day
Old 14-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #83
peterljohnson55

I don't trust any other driver in a roundabout to do the right thing - have any doubt about this? Then just stand back and watch!
I need to keep my wits about me, expect the worse, do what I can to not confuse others and hope to come out alive.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #84
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
by default the only signal needed
Maybe, maybe not. But it's all irrelevant as you have to follow whatever the rules are. And as long as you do that, you're not in the wrong.
This user likes this post: