Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #61
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Diesel Registrations up 103.7% in 5 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6
My dad fillled his TD Hilux the other day he was telling me and it cost him $90..... How is this 'affordable'...luckily he gets a company fuel card?
If you only get 400km out of the tank for $90, then it's not 'affordable'... on the other hand, if you get 1000km out of the $90 then it is affordable. It's not the $ cost that makes it affordable, it's the amount of kms you can get out of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I just filled up our Triton twin cab with the four cylinder turbo diesel and five speed auto. It cost me a little over $100.

Of course, out of the 65 liters or so I put in it I did get about 600km of highway and around town use, as well as a few trips up into the bush behind town with my son and grandson while they visited recently...

On the highway, it gets well under 10ltr/100, usually sitting down around 8.5 to 9ltr/100. Perfectly happy with that given the size and utility of the Triton for us.

Yes, they can cost a little more to service (but certainly no more expensive than the Falcon G6E was), but given the longevity and comfort of it over the Falcon on real world roads, it makes an awful lot of sense.
Wish we could get that out of our triton... It's basically 10L/100km around canberra, or on the freeway to sydney! It's shocking on the highway. Around canberra it's not too bad, but i expected it to be a lot better.

Having said that, we have a canopy plus bigger all terrain tyres... so maybe that affects it.

Cruising at or under 80km/h seems to be its most economical point..
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04 View Post
If you only get 400km out of the tank for $90, then it's not 'affordable'... on the other hand, if you get 1000km out of the $90 then it is affordable. It's not the $ cost that makes it affordable, it's the amount of kms you can get out of it...

Wish we could get that out of our triton... It's basically 10L/100km around canberra, or on the freeway to sydney! It's shocking on the highway. Around canberra it's not too bad, but i expected it to be a lot better.

Having said that, we have a canopy plus bigger all terrain tyres... so maybe that affects it.

Probably because its big, high, canopy and the tyres, its not too aerodynamic.

Aerodynamics play a bit part in fuel efficiency.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #63
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Probably because its big, high, canopy and the tyres, its not too aerodynamic.

Aerodynamics play a bit part in fuel efficiency.
My old turbo territory is testament to that!!
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #64
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04 View Post

We have an ARB canopy (not the really high roof one, because that makes a big difference) but the standard sized tyres on the factory alloys. I know the fitment of larger tyres does affect fuel use. Then again, our fuel varies up to 10ltr/100 as well, it all depends.

Then again, out of a large four wheel drive like a Triton, 10ltr/100km is amazing, and shows how far diesel tech has come in even just the last 10 years.

...and hey, at least it isn't a petrol Triton (or other popular four wheel drive)...they still suck petrol like there's a hole in the tank, even with new technology...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 28-07-2013 at 06:15 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #65
rowie77
Starter Motor

I recently bought a low K MA Mondeo 2.0ltr TDCI. I wanted; 5 star ANCAP, economy, reasonable size, and towing capability.
The care has amazing power, every safety feature, is almost as big inside as a Falcon (with a huge boot), high quality fit and finish, and can haul 1.6 ton! I am getting close to 1000kms around town and further on the highway. I will not buy a petrol car again. BTW VW was out of the question because of the DSG shitebox and I love Fords. I currently have three, Territory, old Falcon, and Mondeo.
rowie77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #66
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have noticed this, I reckon there must be 107.3 % rise in Nissan patrol utes with extractors with owners that must be tone deaf . Always flogging them and going nowhere around here . Godawful constipated melody do they make .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #67
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
I don't own anything that isn't a petrol V8 and will never contribute to the diesel sales figures.

The XY GT, an FG GT and an Audi Q7 (even a 5.0L in the boat) All of them suck the fuel like you wouldn't believe and I don't care one bit

A workmate told me he got 8L per 100km out of his work supplied Ford Ranger and I asked him "how much fun did you have doing that?"

I'd say the V12 turbo diesel Q7 would be pretty fun to drive.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #68
SmokinXR50

Hi,
I noticed in this thread there were several discussions regarding the fuel efficiency of diesels especially when handling heavy loads.
My experience with diesels and fuel efficiency has been somewhat unique. I have only ever own one diesel, which was the Navara.
Whilst to compare it to my other cars under normal use is unfair there is one situation where I can make a reasonably fair comparison, which is towing almost 2 tonne of boat interstate.
I have performed the same trip over the last 10 years with various vehicles and wrote a post about it a while ago.
My original Post: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ht=towing+xr50

Each trip has been very similar in terms of distance and all up towing weight. Since writing this post I have completed several more trips with my XR50 turbo and when it comes to economy my XR50 turbo eats my Navara for breakfast (I won’t even both comparing the two when it comes to performance). What I learnt from this is it isn’t so much the type of engine that makes it good or bad when hauling big loads; it is very much about how each engine makes its power.
My XR50 makes a boat load of power and torque down low which makes it superb hauling big loads. AS I am nearing the end of my current lease there is one thing for sure, I won't be contributing to the increase in diesel registrations anytime soon.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks,

Chris
SmokinXR50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: