Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Cam
Stroking it...

Default Wagon boot won't close..

As the title suggests..

My AU boot has become increasingly hard to get to latch closed of late, it got the point where it needs to be slammed to shut. So right before a 200km trip today it decided enough was enough, and now won't latch at all..

Obviously I've checked to make sure theres nothing jammed in there stopping it from closing, which it appears there isn't. I've checked the latch on the boot and it seems to be latching as you'd expect.. I can see wear marks on the catch on the car, so it seems (and feels like) its attempting to latch

Where to from here?!

Cheers,
Cam

Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Cam
Stroking it...

Default Re: Wagon boot won't close..

Due to the overwhelming response, I'm going to pick up a new tailgate latch and see how I go
Old 11-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Do these run an actuator in them?????
I know had issues with my Territory one a while back ... and it failed to latch ... had to drive in the rain hom with it from the south coast back to Sydney metro. Lucky the tailgate is heavy and the rubber seal is pretty thick on it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ugh, we had this problem with our AU wagon, when it started doing this, it was the beginning of the end of my ownershit (see what I did there) experience with it.

I replaced the actuator earlier on after it died. Then one cold morning all of a sudden the tailgate decided to not close. Turns out the threads in the vehicle body that the striker bolted to was stripped. No problem, drilled them out, tapped new (larger) threads and modified the striker so it could use bigger bolts. It lasted about half a day and that was it. No amount of repositioning, re-tightening, realigning and overall fiddling with the striker changed it.

In the end, we knew we were going to upgrade to a new car, it was just a matter of waiting for the funds to become available and putting up with it until then.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Ugh, we had this problem with our AU wagon, when it started doing this, it was the beginning of the end of my ownershit (see what I did there) experience with it.

I replaced the actuator earlier on after it died. Then one cold morning all of a sudden the tailgate decided to not close. Turns out the threads in the vehicle body that the striker bolted to was stripped. No problem, drilled them out, tapped new (larger) threads and modified the striker so it could use bigger bolts. It lasted about half a day and that was it. No amount of repositioning, re-tightening, realigning and overall fiddling with the striker changed it.

In the end, we knew we were going to upgrade to a new car, it was just a matter of waiting for the funds to become available and putting up with it until then.
Hrm. Not what I wanted to hear! I got a latch from the wreckers yesterday as when I fiddled with mine it did appear to unlatch very very easily. The replacement seems a lot stiffer and harder to unlatch. Am about to pull it apart, so will see how I go and report back..
Old 13-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Cam
Stroking it...

Replaced the latch, and gave the striker a bit of a reposition and all seems good so far. Fingers crossed! The old latch mechanism was pretty loose compared to the replacement one from the wreckers. Once it went on itd lock with a bit of force, with the striker repositioned it seems to be locking very easily.

Given I open / close my boot probably 50x more a week then the average punter I wouldn't be surprised if the actuator gives way!

Happy days! (for now..)