Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #31
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Default Re: Has anyone had a ticket on point to point radar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6
I understand the 2 cameras near Jolls bridge are there because the first camera is not to detect speed but to provide evidence that you were shown the variable speed limit before coming to the actual camera 500m up the road. There are no other points before that first set of variable signs that dictate the actual speed limit because the others before it are the 90 if raining & 100 if not, fixed signs - which can be open to interpretation, not to mention change since entering the new limit.

It also can't be a speed camera because there are no warning signs before it, all signs are after that initial camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Crazy
And yeah that first one top of Jolls - pass it every day - there are no pieze strips on road - it was the old broken one from Spit Rd
I've never actually paid that much attention to them, (just make sure I'm not speeding from halfway up the hill, till I pass the second overhead gantry), but yes, you're right, I've checked now. There's no sensors on the road, or a flash on the first camera either. So it either only takes a photo of the variable speed signs, (if you get done passing the second one), or it doesn't work at all, & is only there as a fake deterrent?
Would possibly fool non-frequent drivers, who speed up again after it, but regulars, know there's a second one down the road a bit & usually stay slow.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #32
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania View Post
I've never actually paid that much attention to them, (just make sure I'm not speeding from halfway up the hill, till I pass the second overhead gantry), but yes, you're right, I've checked now. There's no sensors on the road, or a flash on the first camera either. So it either only takes a photo of the variable speed signs, (if you get done passing the second one), or it doesn't work at all, & is only there as a fake deterrent?
Would possibly fool non-frequent drivers, who speed up again after it, but regulars, know there's a second one down the road a bit & usually stay slow.
they are exactly 1 km apart or 36 seconds, which ever you prefer.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #33
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect that the nsw point to point cameras can be logged into by highway patrol nearby as on a couple of occasions ive seen cops come from miles behind to pass and pull over someone like a p plater who was speeding by a fair bit. Or possibly unreg or no licence. They come from absolutely nowhere. Could only be due to some info from cameras.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #34
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
I suspect that the nsw point to point cameras can be logged into by highway patrol nearby as on a couple of occasions ive seen cops come from miles behind to pass and pull over someone like a p plater who was speeding by a fair bit. Or possibly unreg or no licence. They come from absolutely nowhere. Could only be due to some info from cameras.
I see what you're saying however I suspect not.

NSW HP cars have number plate recognition technology. They only have to (as they often do), sit on the side of the road, or bushes with camera pointed correctly... Any car unregistered, speeding, or outstanding warrants etc on the driver / owner appear without them doing anything.
Once scanned and alerted, they chase.

It appears they can log into safety cam, however I would bet money they can't, and technology onboard the car doesn't require them to either.

AS far as point to point goes in NSW, all new digital cameras have the ability to be integrated, you could (in theory) phase out safety cam or upgrade the sites and integrate.
I heard rumour the RTA wants it to happen however there is some snag in the legislation preventing it. Don't quote me, it's just what I've heard.

Generally, I'd be mindful of a fully integrated point to point system. Keep in mind they are trailling the GPS tracking and speed auditing kit too.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #35
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

No... Not YET !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #36
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also I forgot to mention that on these occasions a camera was recently passed. The cop who chased came from minutes and kms behind. Not popping out of the bushes within seconds! I think I'm right about this. .. Watch out for p platers doing 120 like most people do, where they are meant to be doing 90 or 100 or whatever.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #37
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on the free way to gosford I see that happen all the time (chasing a car from a long way back).

it usually 1 of 2 things.

cop was traveling in oposite direct and had to find a spot to turn around then do it safely and chase them - takes time like this guy (nice hand brake and stall)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6wA1B8Ziak

or
2) they hide way up the on ramps, by the time they take the reading a stop what they are doing and then give chase it can be a while,
i tried to find that scene from super troopers where he was using the radar gun to measure a different speed but couldnt find it - but i found this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Q7xFULorigQ

steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #38
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

As others have said most point to point cameras in NSW are for heavy vehicles. If they were for cars I would hate to see the price of some fines I would of had while living in Merriwa.

People with 4wd's should be careful though, a little bit of lift and some become high enough to set off the camera. A few mates 4wd's always set them off.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #39
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
Also I forgot to mention that on these occasions a camera was recently passed. The cop who chased came from minutes and kms behind. Not popping out of the bushes within seconds! I think I'm right about this. .. Watch out for p platers doing 120 like most people do, where they are meant to be doing 90 or 100 or whatever.
The NSW HP have NO access to the RTA overhead camera's, either PTP or the Safe-T-Cam.

Cars do not register on PTP cameras

Could be that the HP car was sitting up a side road and shooting them with a hand held.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #40
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
on the free way to gosford I see that happen all the time (chasing a car from a long way back).

it usually 1 of 2 things.

cop was traveling in oposite direct and had to find a spot to turn around then do it safely and chase them - takes time like this guy (nice hand brake and stall)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6wA1B8Ziak

or
2) they hide way up the on ramps, by the time they take the reading a stop what they are doing and then give chase it can be a while,
i tried to find that scene from super troopers where he was using the radar gun to measure a different speed but couldnt find it - but i found this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Q7xFULorigQ

Don't know why that bike slowed down, he would of been long gone, like his mate if he just rode like he was.

Second video what a ******.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #41
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So sorry, are the ones on the Bruce Highway QLD operational now?
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #42
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo View Post
So sorry, are the ones on the Bruce Highway QLD operational now?
Well there was a lot of media about it and we all know thet there are never lies told on TV but at this time I have never heard of anyone being being done and if you google it all you get are thousands of media blurbs.

In saying this you could do a run, see what happens and then make a thread about it

OR

Just go with the flow as it is a fairly busy bit of road most of the time and speeding per se is not as dangerous as travelling at a different speed to everyone else....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #43
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Well there was a lot of media about it and we all know thet there are never lies told on TV but at this time I have never heard of anyone being being done and if you google it all you get are thousands of media blurbs.

In saying this you could do a run, see what happens and then make a thread about it

OR

Just go with the flow as it is a fairly busy bit of road most of the time and speeding per se is not as dangerous as travelling at a different speed to everyone else....
Yeah, drove back from Malaney late Sat night, so may just be able to confirm.........

(Hence my interest)

Last edited by Shonky.; 22-04-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #44
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo View Post
Yeah, drove back from Malaney late Sat night, so may just be able to confirm.........

(Hence my interest)
It only works when going north so you are ok.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: