Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-12-2005, 08:06 PM   #1
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Default bad luck on a bike = pain

Hi guys, some of you may know i'm a motorbike fan, and i enjoy riding them. On sunday i went with my mate to a motorcross track to play around with his fairly new YZ400. Cool fun! We've done this before a few weeks ago.

I was on my 5th lap or so when i somehow came off (still dont know how i just stuffed up), had severe pain in my left shoulder. Went to the hospital and found it was my shoulder blade, broken almost in half, bruised my lung, not to mention the muscular damage. Can't drive for 6 weeks - which means i miss out on the drags at heathcote at the end of jan --- i may still go there, but can't compete. that sucks big time. :

My family & work colleagues are suggesting i get a safer past time, but i enjoy riding the bike and off road is much more of a challenge than on the road. Any suggestions on a safer sport?

max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
scotty_d

Jet Ski, Almost as fun but a much softer fall, You still can get pretty messed up. Most newer ski's get up around 80-90 km/hr too easy, can hurt a bit if you come of that quick.
Also not as hot as riding.
scotty_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
herbs

Sucks about the injury. But dooooooooooooon't leave the world of dirtbikes. Maybe go trailriding instead of the mx track all the time. Fortunately my KTM hasn't bucked me off too violently..............yet.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 11:22 PM   #4
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^ute
Any suggestions on a safer sport?
**Shrugs**

Lawn bowls?

Sucks to hear about the injury. Just remember the old saying. What doesn't kill you is always worth doing again. Or something like that. :dr_Evil:

Get back on the bike, you'll be right.

My best mate loved his cars. He was the passenger in a real bad truck accident in June and got messed up pretty bad. Is still doing rehab now for it and is in a wheelchair and all sorts of chaos. After the accident, a lot of people said he'd probably struggle to get back into a car and that he'd probably slow down a lot. Three months later we went out and wrote off his commodore. He still loves his cars.

The moral of the story? Don't be thrown off by one accident. It's always worth a second shot.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #5
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Jeezzzzz au^ute , if i gave up this amazing pastime just because it hurts sometimes I would have missed out on so much fun in my life it would be hard to justify ! I know blokes who NEVER get hurt as they just ride and dont take chances , still having fun , and others that get off every time they ride and have a ball , even though it hurts ! Me I am in the middle class where I sometimes come off and only take calculated chances as I cant afford to be off work for too long ! A couple of years back I had to take a week off cause I pulled a few back muscles when I flipped my bashee on the beach doing 5th gear wheelstands ! Damn that sucked ! I ride mostly Quads cause my right knee is stuffed from rugby league but I still have a ride of 2 wheelers regularly! Last Christmas one of my mates went too big on a down hill jump, missed the landing ramp, flatlanded and blew both his ankles out ! His bike has been ready to go for 8 months and he is itchin to bang that jump again !

If ya love doin it ! Keep doin it !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 09:32 AM   #6
dzynafalcon
Grafik Dzyna

thumb wrestling
dzynafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
EA2BA
PM me if you want

life can be too short, do what makes you happy

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
pb02
inconceivable!

It's just a flesh wound! :

My mate had similar injuries from a road bike accident, although lung was fine but broke bones in his foot. Had a guy in a car pull straight into his lane while he was riding and knocked him off his bike. He was back training (personel trainer) and driving within 3-4 weeks. Talk to a good Physio, you should be right for the drags in Heathcote.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 10:18 AM   #9
Stampy

Bugger you ! ,Hows the bike

Go the Jet Ski if your near any water, mine does 0-60 in 2 sec and flat out at 105 kph in about 6 sec and mine is slow compared to the 215hp seadoo .
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 10:57 AM   #10
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel your pain! I've been road riding for 2 years now with no incidents, jumped on a dirt bike on saturday and am now sitting here with 1 hand in a bandage (no skin left on top of right hand or top of right shoulder). But I cant wait to get back on - next time i will wear gloves...

Seriosly why give it up, if it dosnt kill you it only makes you stronger ect ect.

PS - chicks dig scars...especially motorbike scars :-)
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 11:40 AM   #11
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Ohh yeah . always wear protective gear !

My younger bro came off about 2 years ago not wearing all his gear and ended up with gravel rash from shoulder to wrist on his left arm! A nurse at emergancy showed no mercy ! She gave him a tub of warm antiseptic water and a stiff scrubbing brush to clean all the sand , dirt and gunk out of it by himself ! hahahaha! Me and some mates were sitting there giggling like school girls at him ! was ken funny cause we all told him to suit up properly ! After that happened he wore most of his gear and one day I told him to wear his knee pads and he ended up with them on ! Riding a trail with a bit of water flowing across it in places , he aquaplane across about 15 feet of running water pinned in 4th on his new YZ 250 , till he hit coffee rock on the other side ! The bike did a complete back flip out from under him . I was behind him on my CR 500 with my girl on the back and saw him imprersonate superman still holding the bars and the front wheel smacked him in the head! He ended up sliding along the coffee rock on his hands and knees! I was ting myself as this stuff would be like a cheese grater to your body ! Lucky mongrel had not 1 scratch to himself thanks to his gloves and knee pads and the rest of his gear , and the bike ended up with a few scratches on the side number plate and needed new hand gripps ! Lucky he listened to big bro huh !

Old 22-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #12
bprint xr8
more posting less lurking

Yes I can relate to that, I never go riding without gear on. Have seen some fairly nasty scars on a few mates from not wearing gear, luckily no one has been seriously injured.
Old 22-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #13
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Heres a couple of pics of me having a quick rest at a thumpernats meeting!

Sorry about the size of em ! Just learning how to do the picture thing !

Old 22-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #14
Mrs Coyote
Phantom XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
life can be too short, do what makes you happy
No good giving up what you love doing while you are still able to partake.

There will be a time when you are unable to do the things you love so I say what the hell keep doing what makes you happy.
Mrs Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take the time out to learn from it, and perhaps back off a little to the point where you let your friends go ahead, and just ride at a fun yet controlled rate. I am currently buying a WRF and there's no way I'm going beyond a 250. 400's just have too much balls. I work in orthopaedics, so I get daily reminders of the consequences. Control the risks, it's all up to your right hand! The older you get the more automatic this usually is....
Old 24-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #16
gtfpv
GT

dont know what to say about this one . i'd like to have a bike but they are just too dangerous . i know lots of people who ride . i dont know any who haven't been in an accident . nough said.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 06:34 PM   #17
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_d
Jet Ski, Almost as fun but a much softer fall, You still can get pretty messed up. Most newer ski's get up around 80-90 km/hr too easy, can hurt a bit if you come of that quick.
Also not as hot as riding.
Speeking off Jet ski's... When I was in hospital with a broken leg (MotoX accident) the guy in the bed next to me had a broken pelvis caused by a jet ski accident..

My moto in life is "if it is not dangerous, then it is not fun"

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 09:39 PM   #18
Karnage
Finger Painter

I'm not too sure about road riding not being challenging....but anywayz, mate stick too it, accidents happens....(so does $hit lmao) just take your time, and take it easy until yourt confidence come back....ride safe
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 09:57 PM   #19
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin

PS - chicks dig scars...especially motorbike scars :-)
Only if they r down to earth, danger loving chicks too... :
Get back on ur bloody bike, chicks dig sexy riders too! : Trust ME!

masters24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2005, 10:00 AM   #20
max^power
Formerly au^ute

There are more bike riders out there than i first expected!! I can't blame you, i enjoy riding too much to leave it after one crash that hurt me - although, its still reminding me, every time i sneeze!

Dispite all this, i think ill still ride again, perhaps not on the motox track for a while, may keep to bush tracks etc. at least till my confidence is back up there. Ill take it slower next time, and wear some extra padding

thanks guys for your advice etc, hope you have a great xmas and new year
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post