Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
peterljohnson55

Default New Tyres - What inflation pressure and why?

Hiya guys and gals,

Have just had new tyres fitted, but the 'technician' inflated them to 38 PSI. Recommended is 30 PSI.

He says the Ford and tyre geeks are wrong and he is right; his 38 will give more tyre life and a better ride.

Another person claims Ford/tyre manufacturers understate tyre pressure so as to generate sales.

So I am wondering ...
What tyre pressure(s) do you maintain and what is your rationale for that choice of pressure(s)?

(BTW, the newbies are Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 215/60R16 95V, $146 each at Beaurepaires. I phoned and asked for price; was told $161, then asked for my NRMA 10% discount. Bit of a bargain, actually.)

-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Default Re: New Tyres - What inflation pressure and why?

I keep my tires at 40psi. It increases wear but I believe gives you better ride.
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
AUFanboy

Higher pressure gives a firmer ride, better steering feel, and better fuel economy. I keep mine at 35 to 40 psi and find they wear evenly. If I run lower pressures the edges wear out first. Only downside is that the car can be a bit skitish over mid-corner bumps.
AUFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Veefore

BA XR6 and I run my 235/45-17's at 44psi. I found that any less than that and they always wear out on the edges.

At 44 the ride is a bit harsher but the tyres last a lot longer and actually give me more stability when pushing it a little.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Veefore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

38 is good. I have 225 60 15s at 38 have done 45k+ and have heaps of tread left and very even ware

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I run 38 psi allround for economy, steering feel & equal wear- trade off is bump absorption is a little harsher. Anyone know the 4psi rule & does it apply to only suv's/4wd's?

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

38, exactly why Maka said.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

The tech is both right and wrong.

Correct pressures will make the tyres last longer, provide a more uniform contact patch on the road surface, run cooler, and make the car steer and handle better.
The correct pressure will generally be somewhat higher than Ford states.
He is wrong in that the ride will be worse, not better with higher pressures.

Ford have generally recommended tyres be run on the low side, it's understood this is to increase ride comfort for the masses.

I personally never have 36psi in all 4 tyres.
Depending on what I'm up to, I may have 40psi, or as high as 44psi or more.

Tyre pressures are dependent on 3 things, vehicle weight, tyre brand and size, and the way the vehicle is driven.
Old 20-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
4ford

I run 17" wheels on my almost stock AU2 Fairmont 6, and have been running 38psi front and 36psi rear for the last 9 years, with excellent wear and ride.

I run slightly less in the rears since there is no load in the back of the car. In the unusual event that I have some load in the back/boot, I increase the rears to 38psi, if it's more that 'just down to the store and back'.

Oh, and those numbers are cool tyres, less than 3-4 kms from home.
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi guys, when a tyre is inflated above recommended pressures, the sidewall becomes stiffer- its the sidewall that absorbs those little hits & shocks (road irregularities)- so higher the tyre pressure, harsher the ride on anything else but billiard table smooth roads. Just done a quick google (higher tyre pressures harsher ride)-

http://www.hankooktyre.com.au/Serv/I...m=3&ChildNum=3

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 21-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
The tech is both right and wrong.

Correct pressures will make the tyres last longer, provide a more uniform contact patch on the road surface, run cooler, and make the car steer and handle better.
The correct pressure will generally be somewhat higher than Ford states.
Ford have generally recommended tyres be run on the low side, it's understood this is to increase ride comfort for the masses.I personally never have 36psi in all 4 tyres.
Depending on what I'm up to, I may have 40psi, or as high as 44psi or more.

Tyre pressures are dependent on 3 things, vehicle weight, tyre brand and size, and the way the vehicle is driven.

Sox, sorry i couldnt help myself, thanks for agreeing....indirectly

cheers, Maka

Old 21-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Sox, sorry i couldnt help myself, thanks for agreeing....indirectly

cheers, Maka
I totally agree with you, my sentenced wasn't phrased so well.

I said...

And meant...
The technician is wrong - in that the ride will be worse, not better, with higher pressures.

Make more sense?
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Telmar
Starter Motor

I have been down this road, so to speak, and worn a set of tyres out in 8k cos Ford service advised 30psi .. and as others have said edges wear first. Since then on my previous FG XR6 I ran 38PSI (18IN) and on my current XR6 I am running 42 PSI (19IN) with approx 15K on tyres and no real evidence of wear.
Telmar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

I run 38psi all round. 215 60 16, standard suspension.
I do a fair whack of km's each week and I find at this pressure, the tyre wears evenly;i.e maximum contact patch.
I managed 108,000 out of a set of Bridgestone Turanza's with no rotation on the last set with 2mm to go before the wear indicator.
Got a set of Pirellis now, so will see how much I can stretch these.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think there`s a happy medium in tyre pressure, but it depends on what your after, maybe i`m old, but i don`t mind the softer ride, and i drive to look after my tyres, i also would also rather wear out tyres than suspension, as i reckon these days in particular with more performance oriented tyres, the tyres are a very minor part of shock/bump absorption compared to what they once where years ago, hence increased suspension/bush problems these days.
remember the old days when some cars with placarded tyre pressures of 24/26 pounds .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
EL.50
Just cruisin'

I always run 38 psi, never had any problems
EL.50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Sox
RIP...

Bah, I need a proof reader!

My above post should also have read...
I personally never have less than 36psi in all 4 tyres.
Old 22-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I run 38 in my tyres normally, then pump them up to 40-41 for a family trip.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
peterljohnson55

All your comments have been really helpful, as a group, and thanks to each one of you for your contribution.

Consequently, I'll ditch the recommended 30psi and go for 38 F and R, and 40-42 R for a loaded trip. Let's see how that goes.

Roads aren't too bad here in suburban Newcastle, except for those enigmatic speed humps.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post