Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #31
karj
XY Falcon

Default Re: Need help with Dell N5010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Really?

Strange that one of my companies deals with second hand a lot of mostly ex government and corporate Dell equipment on a an almost daily basis and cannot remember the last time I had any problems with their tech support.
They may have a different policy for dealing with corporate sales, but for consumer sales they will (generally) only provide support to the person whom they have on record as the owner (or someone authorised to act on behalf of the owner). I know this because I've had to resolve a warranty issue with them regarding my mother's laptop.

Last edited by karj; 18-11-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 18-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #32
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I resell a lot of used notebooks and have found dell by far the best to deal with when it comes to support. have had dozens unlocked by giving them proof of purchase and the service tag. no proof and they won't help but that's a good thing, shows the security works.
Quote:
Really?

Strange that one of my companies deals with second hand a lot of mostly ex government and corporate Dell equipment on a an almost daily basis and cannot remember the last time I had any problems with their tech support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karj
I don't think Dell has said it was stolen, just that it could have been and that is why they are refusing to help. Dell do not provide support for 2nd hand stuff... unless the ownership is in your name. The ownership can be transferred into your name if you know the original owner and they consent. As someone else noted, the pawn shop must have a record of the person who sold it to them (why they would say otherwise sounds pretty dodgy).

On a tangent about things that appear stolen but aren't... My brother purchased a phone off eBay a few years back, and although I suggested he not because of the risk of it being stolen, he decided to anyway because it came in the original box with all the original accessories, thus not as likely to be stolen. Anyway, he recieved it and used it for a few days before it stopped allowing him to make phone calls. He looked up the IMEI on the internet and it turns out it had been blocked... apparently for about a year. He made some phone calls and was told the block would only be on it because it was reported as stolen. He then contacted the seller on eBay who was confused as all hell because he was the original owner, and then he (as the original owner) had to make some phone calls and provide proof of his ownership to get it unblocked. The phone company wouldn't do anything to help my brother, except maintain that it would ONLY be blocked if it was stolen.
yes but you weren't able to provide a receipt from a licenced second hand dealer like the OP says he has
Quote:
Originally Posted by karj View Post
They may have a different policy for dealing with corporate sales, but for consumer sales they will (generally) only provide support to the person whom they have on record as the owner (or someone authorised to act on behalf of the owner). I know this because I've had to resolve a warranty issue with them regarding my mother's laptop.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 18-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by karj View Post
So you, as a person who has done this once on an amateur basis and therefore very little experience in dealing with Dell believe that two professional people who deal with Dell technical support on a regular basis do not know how it all works?
Old 18-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #34
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
So you, as a person who has done this once on an amateur basis and therefore very little experience in dealing with Dell believe that two professional people who deal with Dell technical support on a regular basis do not know how it all works?
You've dealt with Dell in a different capacity to me Flappist; I have dealt with them as a retail customer, not a corporate customer. I have no issue with Dell support and found them quite good personally. I'm just mentioning that they will only provide support to the owner according to *their* records and that they require the consent of the previous owner to transfer ownership.

It's not my belief, this is what I was told directly by Dell. Right or wrong, that is what I was told... and it appears to be what the OP was told also.

Starting to venture a bit far off-topic now I think.
Old 18-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #35
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Reading the thread I believe there has been good considerable help trying to solve the issue, now the thread has turned into Dell ownership debate.

Closed.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
This user likes this post:
Closed Thread