Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default rego/ insurance for a car with very limited use

So after a lot of debate and thought I have decided that I can't sell my baby (the BA) so now I have to figure out what to do with rego and insurance.

I'm receiving a fully maintained work car with no limitations to private use. so the ba will only come out for the occasional cruise, show, track event and Sunday drive. over the next 6 months it might not even see the road as provided the minister of finance doesn't say no there is something I've wanted to do for a real long time that I might be in a position to do.

I would like to keep it insured that ones a no brainer but is there a cheaper option to the standard policy?

for rego as the car isn't a classic or historic and I assume won't qualify for either of those is there a type of restricted use rego available on a newish car?

All help/ info will be appreciated

Old 16-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
1967xrute
BOOST is Good

Default Re: rego/ insurance for a car with very limited use

Go see the boys at Shannon's in fish wick and explain your scenario. I reckon if locked in a garage etc you will be surprised at the low price. I pay $35 bucks a month for 2000kms per year on one of my rides. insured for 20k.
Old 16-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow that's cheap and roughly around what I would like to insure mine for, what happens if you reach the 2000? Do you just call up and update your km's and pay a little more?
Old 16-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
XY GS

When I got my XY insured, I got it worked out that it could be driven 3 days a week. I asked the guy what happened if I drove it more (asked about ringing up and changing the policy, etc.) and he said it wasn't a big deal, as long as it wasn't a regular occurrence. It costs me about $28 a month. I know in my situation its in days not kilometres, but I'd assume it would be the same deal?
XY GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ask Shannons for an "Extreme Limited Use" policy, its what my Porsche is under. Shop around though. I'm not finding Shannons to be so cheap anymore so will be looking around myself over the next couple of weeks.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So called Shannons up today to see what they can do for me, ended up coming up with a limited use policy where I can drive the car on average 2 times a week which is more than enough and only $61 a month so i'm fairly happy with that. Now to just try and sort out what kind of rego I can find that works out cheap and covers my needs
Old 17-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You cannot get Club Rego (in Vict) for a car less the 25 years old, I am fairly sure other States are similar so I think you will be required to pay full rego.