Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default No changes pending for QLD SI (Special Interest) rego

Just thought I'd share an email I received from our QLD TMR (Dept. Transport Main Roads).

There was some discussion earlier in the year or late last year as to whether QLD would adopt or have a similar Special Interest Registration scheme as VIC? and SA? where there was an numbered allowance of days (e.g. 90) for the use of our classic vehicles. Such use would have been combined with entries in a logbook etc. Anyhow, I made an enquiry and offered it as a suggestion that would it would an improvment. I received the following response:

Quote:
Dear <my name>
Thank you for yoursuggestion to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) regarding theadoption of a logbook system for the Special Interest Vehicle (SIV)Registration Concession Scheme.

The SIV RegistrationScheme was originally developed in consultation with the Queensland HistoricMotoring Council (QHMC) to provide car club members with a registration alternative for their classic historic vehicles. This essentially enables car enthusiasts to pursue their hobby of restoration and display of historicvehicle while receiving the benefit of reduced registration fees, providingthey restrict their usage to those approved by TMR. The registration fee andcompulsory third (CTP) insurance premium reflects the limited use that appliesto these vehicles.

Clubs play anintegral role with TMR in the management and control of the scheme. Thisincludes keeping members informed of the rules and conditions of use and assisting TMR in preventing abuse of those conditions. Registered operators inreceipt of a SIV concession are expected to retain current membership of anincorporated vehicle club. A list of approved uses can be found on theSIV guide located on TMR's website - http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registrati...oncession.aspx.

A review of the SIVRegistration Concession Scheme was completed in 2008. As part of thisreview process, TMR approached the registration authorities in all states andterritories. Although a log book system was initially outside of the scope ofthe review, TMR did become aware that a log book system operated in 5 otherjurisdictions and details as to how each scheme operates was collated and considered as part of this review.

When comparing the concession scheme in Queensland with those in other states and territories, itwas determined that Queensland's scheme is simpler to administer, it does not impose any administration tasks on the QHMC or individual incorporated vehicleclubs nor does it restrict the enthusiast to a certain number of days vehicle usage per year.
The QHMC is a peakbody for the historic vehicle movement with more than one hundred affiliatedvehicle clubs. Members of the QHMC meet with TMR on a regular basis and maintain their support for the current scheme. It is, however, happy toreceive any comments or concerns about the scheme and can be contacted via thefollowing details;

Mail: 1376 OldCleveland Road, Carindale Qld 4152

I trust the above information is of assistance. If you require further information regarding theSIV registration concession scheme, please contact me using the contact detailslisted below.

Kind regards,

name of officer
Transport Policy Officer | Registration& Licensing

Essentially, what I get from that; is that they couldn't be bothered with the potential work in administrating a change to the system.

And while they may not limit the number of days that you can drive your vehicle, the QLD restrictions don't allow you 'just take your car for a drive for a day' sort of thing unless it's a club organised event.

It's a shame. $850+ is a lot to pay for the ability to drive a car for a couple of times a year on full rego.

So, just letting you all know that it doesn't look like there will be any changes any time soon (if at all).

Last edited by lilmattie; 05-06-2012 at 01:55 PM.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: No changes pending for QLD SI (Special Interest) rego

poop. thanks for the heads up though.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a form that was released last year.

This form is dated: 10/02/2011

http://www.qhmc.org.au/Info_Bul/2011%20SIV%20Discussion%20Paper.pdf

And it discusses EXACTLY the issue. What were the clubs doing to try and facilitate this? - did any of them know?

I vaguely remember something in the discussion last year but there certainly wasn't much coverage about it.

I'd encourage everyone with a classic car to petition QHMC - email their secretary (on their website) requesting they petition the Dept. Transport to make the changes happen.

Last edited by lilmattie; 05-06-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

That's sucks. I would rather a log book so I can drive it when I want. I will be seeking a club in SE Qld in the next few months suitable for the Zh (please pm if you know any) I can't wait to cruise with other beasts with my 3 boys but it would be good to highway cruise to race tracks, gold coast, and distant mates legally rather than pay near $1000 for a car I only drive once every few weeks or so. I used to drive it almost daily for 13-14 years

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
69ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis
That's sucks. I would rather a log book so I can drive it when I want. I will be seeking a club in SE Qld in the next few months suitable for the Zh (please pm if you know any) I can't wait to cruise with other beasts with my 3 boys but it would be good to highway cruise to race tracks, gold coast, and distant mates legally rather than pay near $1000 for a car I only drive once every few weeks or so. I used to drive it almost daily for 13-14 years
PM sent
Cheers Rodney
69ISH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

When you say only allowed to use the car on club events, does that mean events listed in the club's calendar? If so it is reasonably easy provided you organise ahead of time - just get your Sunday drive listed as an event on the calendar! There is no reason (under the rules assuming they are the same as what used to be in place in Vic) why it cannot be done.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis
That's sucks. I would rather a log book so I can drive it when I want...........

I know what you mean. I made a submission on the Qld rules favouring log books, and it seems as lilmatte says ... the department couldn't be bothered getting of it's ****.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a hyperlink in the email that links to the current QLD scheme guide. This is essentially what is relevant for us:

Quote:

Restricted vehicle use

Vehicles registered under the scheme have certain limitations placed on their use. This is reflected in the reduced fees and compulsory third party insurance premium. Registered operators must confine their vehicle’s use to:-
  • participating in rallies organised by incorporated car clubs
  • participating in processions for which a Special Events Permit has been issued under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management –Accreditation and Other Provisions) Regulation 2005
  • exhibiting the vehicle in displays, fetes or similar functions conducted for religious, charitable or educational purposes
  • ceremonial purposes (weddings, formals) involving immediate family members provided this is not done for fee or reward. Immediate family means parents, grandparents, sons, daughters, grandchildren but not extended family relationships such as nephews and nieces
  • preparing for, proceeding to, and returning from the above activities
  • direct travel to and from an Approved Inspection Station for the purposes of obtaining a safety certificate before offering the vehicle for sale
  • travel in order to have the vehicle repaired. There is no distance restriction in these circumstances. However, such travel must be reasonable and openly justified by the vehicle operator.
  • road testing within a 15 kilometre radius from the place where the vehicle is garaged. The purpose of the travel must be to road test the vehicle following repair or restoration and not for any other purpose. This does not include use as a means of transport.
  • buses are permitted to carry non-fare paying passengers for journeys (joy-rides) from an event (e.g. fete) and return provided the length of the journey does not exceed 5 kilometres. Payment of any kind cannot be received for these journeys.
  • heavy vehicles over 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM) are permitted to carry a load provided the loaded GVM or gross combination mass (GCM) does not exceed 50% of the maximum permitted mass for the vehicle configuration. This mass is based on the lesser of:
1. Individual Axle ratings 3. Manufacturer's GVM or GCM
2. Tyre Manufacturer's limits 4. Regulation Mass Limits
The load carried must be in relation to or part of the reason for the vehicle's use under the scheme.

Last edited by lilmattie; 07-06-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
When you say only allowed to use the car on club events, does that mean events listed in the club's calendar? If so it is reasonably easy provided you organise ahead of time - just get your Sunday drive listed as an event on the calendar! There is no reason (under the rules assuming they are the same as what used to be in place in Vic) why it cannot be done.
That's true, and I know that some clubs get around this issue by having an area on their website where members can post events. However, I read somewhere that there's some requirements in order for it to be classed as an 'event'?

e.g. there has to be a certain number of vehicles involved (or something like that).

I'm looking into it further and I'll post my findings up here. It may benefit someone.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge about club regulation than I would be able to assist?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Well I guess my GT is staying on full rego then. Only being able to drive the car only on club events and so forth dosent suit me at all.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ANY clubs' sanctioned events, we went to Chryslers on the Murray from Bundy on club rego, no hassles.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't think it would change...people have been pushing for years for the compulsory third party component of rego (the biggest part by far of your bill) to be on the person and not the vehicle, so that you can own several cars but the one you happen to be driving is the one insured at that moment. That also would cover if you lent a car to a mate, as he would have the one insurance covering him as well.

Anything to make our motoring lives a little easier always seems to be knocked back...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #13
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the Victorian system is much better & less restrictive to enthousiasts,..id love to see a similar system put in place here in NSW ,....the one good thing with the QLD scheme is you get to use your own plates not the silly looking restricted rego plates
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post