Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #91
Cam
Stroking it...

Default Re: Best Car to tow with - Under 7k?

I think my luck may have changed... Update tomorrow night..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #92
CFOUR
The Destroyer

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/robin...ng-/1001362116
Old 18-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #93
AU Mont
Banned

"front breaks start to be used"

"gears not working anymore, Mark Storay changed the board"

LOL ........ Sounds like a ripper !!
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #94
Cam
Stroking it...

Bwahahhaa.. It's not that car, but at that price if I had the time it would be a serious contender! That one must of popped up this arvo too..
Old 18-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #95
AU Mont
Banned

im sure youve seen it already on carsales, but there is a single AUII Fairmont wagon in the gold coast http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-2001-12497989

is the price a bit steep? or maybe not the condition he says it is?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #96
Cam
Stroking it...

**taken from my post in another thread, AU Mont, you were spot on**

Well, I now own an AU II Fairmont Wagon! Could be AU Wagin's little brother!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-2001-12497989

Interior is immaculate, a couple of tiny marks on the exterior. But other then that I am happy with the pickup. The auto shift incredibly well, engine is very smooth and all electrics work, I paid $5.2k with rwc. I am sure I could've possibly got one a bit cheaper, but over the past few months it's been very hard to find one in decent nick in QLD, and having full service history does give a little piece of mind..

A couple of things need attention, but will start a build thread over the next few days when I have time.. Because tomorrow I pick up my caravan, and then operation "quit work and go traveling" gets that little bit more real!
Old 20-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #97
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done......pleased for you!

another 5 years and we will join you....sell up and get out there

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #98
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You are going around Australia? Not just up and down the main highway along the east coast?

If you are actually going around Australia there is a bit more to consider.

1) Fuel. If you do not run either ULP or Diesel you may find yourself in situations where you have to wait to get fuel. PULP and LPG are a bit random despite what google, wikipedia and AFF experts who have never been outside the east coast except on QANTAS say. If LPG make sure it is dual fuel and works well on both. Also it can be a long way between servos especially with some of the headwinds you will strike so make sure you carry enough to cover at least 400km @ 20l/100++.

2) Heat. It gets rather hot out west and your engine/trans will be heavily loaded. Oil coolers are a good idea as is a big water container for both the car and passengers. In extremely hot conditions you will use more fuel.

3) Comms. UHF is a good idea and if you have young children an Iridium is also. Voda and Optus have almost no coverage outside the cities and even Telstra is scratchy once you leave the coast.

4) Spares. At least 2 spare tyres and 1 for the van. It would be a good idea if they had the same stud pattern so in an emergency they could be used on the "wrong" axle. Two sets of belts, bulbs, oil, trans fluid, diff oil, grease, a full set of spanners etc., plastic windscreen sheet etc. are all a very good idea. When you are at the corner of No and Where 200km from anything RACQ will NOT be there in 20 minutes with whatever you need to get you going. Also replace your battery before you start and if you can, take the old one along as a spare. Get a "big dummys guide" for your car from Repco or Supacheap, it may save you a lot of stress.

The last point is that while there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of towing with AUs or E series just remember they were not 12 year old AUs or 20 year old E series. All things wear out......

Other than that have fun......there is a lot to see and do.....

This. What he said. Did 18 months of remote work equipped with HJ60 (1HZ diesel) and 1500kg van. All the preparation above, and it was both needed and worth it. Needed the 4wd to get to sites, if you don't, I don't recommend the extra 4wd servicing costs, used to budget $1 for servicing/rego/ins every time $1 went into the diesel.

A Cruiser wagon of that vintage is old now, but if you get a good one they go forever. Very, very slow. But torquey. Otherwise, I'd reckon the AU wagon would be the go for all the reasons stated above...

Edit: saw you got the AUII Fairmont, well done!

Last edited by JG34JA; 20-04-2012 at 11:30 PM.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post