Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Jonno ba
TRADIE

Talking Frustration with the nanny state

How can anyone go fast anymore ? There are that many speed cams and multi nova,s on our roads now it's crazy. I got flashed doing 60 in a 70 zone.. My radar detected it I panicked and hit the anqors as usual and I hoping the flash was for the car behind me who almost went up my ***.

I'm not in for recklessness or dangerous driving in the burbs but a little bit of excess speed on the freeway never hurt anyone..

It used to be fun, now I'm just scouting for cams so I don't get pinged going 5 km over the bloody limit. UN COOL !!!!!!

Old 20-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I'm not faulting the police on the ridiculous expansion of the 'safety' cameras. The blame lies squarely with the cretins representing Govco Pty Ltd.

Last edited by flappist; 20-02-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 20-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Interestingly, police don't install speed cameras...
Nor do they man the vehicles that have speed cameras...

You're pointing the finger at the wrong crowd buddy... The Government is the one who controls the laws, the regulations, and the speed(safety) cameras...

And as the saying goes, if you're not speeding you've got nothing to worry about...

Last edited by flappist; 20-02-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 20-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Thats all good and well Loftie, but as has been stated 11ty billion times, you'd be a fool to focus on the speedo instead of the road and the prevailing conditions. Remember, 61 in a 60 zone is considered speeding and if Govco had its way, there would be no tolerance whatsoever.

Old 20-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive been living in largish remote NW WA town for the last six or so months..

no traffic lights, speed, tolls or mc safety cams..

mate picks me up from airport in radelaide within minutes hes on the brakes.. cam up here.. set of lights.. another..

peak hour traffic.. ive been so isolated from all this bs..

so much geared just to suck money out of you every time you put a foot wrong...

Old 20-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

And people say Govco isn't a business...

Last edited by flappist; 20-02-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 20-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno ba
a little bit of excess speed on the freeway never hurt anyone..
Nope.... Never hurt anyone....

Last edited by flappist; 20-02-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 20-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Frustration with the nanny state

This has the potential to go pear shaped. Please keep it civil and on topic.

Note: I have edited the headers on everyones posts but other than that left everything the same.
Old 20-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Falcman0o7
Banned

Ol flappist, Always on the prowl
Old 20-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Jonno ba
TRADIE

Talking Re: Frustration with the nanny state

Please excuse the title of this thread (the police suck) it is miss guided, and I do appoligise for it. But the problem remains the same, and that was the point I was trying to make. Hats off to all the men and women of the force

Old 20-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Interestingly, police don't install speed cameras...
Nor do they man the vehicles that have speed cameras...

You're pointing the finger at the wrong crowd buddy... The Government is the one who controls the laws, the regulations, and the speed(safety) cameras...
It depends on which state. In Qld, it's still the police that man the speed cameras.
Old 20-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man i reckon if someone started a federal party saying they'll take every single cash collecter down they'd be in government just like that.
Old 20-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I understand putting "road safety cameras" in places with high crash statistics caused by excessive speed alone (ie. not by drunk + speed), putting them at every set of lights and every stretch of road where people commonly do 75 in a 70 zone (yet without accidents ever occurring) is proof that they are revenue raising, and that is all they are.
Old 20-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
335POWER
formerly Troy23

Police still man the cars with the camera's in the front, they just sit in the back seat and read or sleep haha
Old 20-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
blk6t

I understand your frustration, I'm all for safe driving etc but common sense SHOULD previal, sadly it doesn't.

I remember when I got my "P" plates back in 1999, I would pass several cops doing 5-10 over the limit here or there, all I ever got was a slow down gesture.

Today if I got was done doing 65 in a 60 zone I would receive full fine, demerit points, SWAT, Media, branded a "hoon", RBT, drug test car search for defects...hahaha going too far??? I am joking here, just highlighting the extreme....
Old 20-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A speed limit by its by its very nature and definition is conservative, so the thought of 5 kph over being life threatening is ludicrous.
Anyone with a lick of sense knows that if 5 kph over is dangerous then the original speed limit was too high in the first place.

I wonder if a lot of this was brought about by people in my generation lying their tails off in MVAs, "Oh I was only going 10 kbk over..."
when in fact it was thirty over and I just jammed on the brakes at the last minute, maybe RTA believed all the lies that came
from dishonest statements of understated impact speeds....

It's couldn't be that they are just after the cash, could it?
Old 20-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Seriously - complaing/venting your frustration about government policy on an online forum is never going to change a thing.
Whilst it would be nice to believe it will magically fix everything, I suspect a far better process would be to lobby your local member of parliament. They're the ones that we the people have elected to represent our thoughts, and if we aren't prepared to tell them our thoughts, then who are we to complain when nothing changes for the better.
If only people were to complain / lobby / raise issues through the correct channels, then perhaps we could see some real improvements in society...
Closed Thread