Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default Things getting worse for Mitsubishi

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbu...l-for-one-euro

Quote:
Japan's Mitsubishi Motors is willing to sell its Netherlands factory "for one euro" if the buyer is prepared to keep employing the 1,500 workers there, the company president says

"If the payroll of about 1,500 factory workers can be maintained, we may as well sell the assets for one euro," Osamu Masuko said, according to a company spokesman.

Japan's fourth largest automaker said on Monday it will stop making cars at the plant in Born by the end of 2012, effectively ending its sole European manufacturing operation.

Mitsubishi blamed a difficult operating environment in the debt-hit continent, but Dutch Economics Minister Maxime Verhagen told a radio station the decision was "an unbelievable blow".

Dutch trade unions called the plan "a disaster" for the southern Netherlands, which they said was already hit hard by unemployment.

Mitsubishi produces the Colt subcompact and the Outlander sports utility models at the wholly-owned unit, which used to be a joint venture with Sweden's Volvo
Anyone want to buy a car manufacturing plant?
Shades of what happend to Mitsubishi in Australia.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Default Re: Things getting worse for Mitsubishi

There was truly an absolute bucketload of overcapacity in the world car manufacturing plants. That and more and more cars for Asian, Russian and Middle Eastern markets are made locally. Makes sense for Mitsubishi to get out of Europe.

Europeans can be as bad a badge snobs as anyone else. All of that and the fact that the Colt was pretty rubbish.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Its just a reflection of a general crap economic outlook. If it wasnt for mining we would be royal stuffed. I dont know many industries that are actually doing ok other than people digging stuff out of the ground.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Its just a reflection of a general crap economic outlook. If it wasnt for mining we would be royal stuffed. I dont know many industries that are actually doing ok other than people digging stuff out of the ground.
Tell that to Apple shareholders , but in general I agree with the point you've made. Seriously, some of Mitsuibishi's products are very tired, Colt, Lancer, Outlander readily spring to mind. They're offering a ten year driveline warranty on new cars in N.Z., not sure if they're doing that in Aus ?, which is something no other manufacturer to the best of my knowledge is doing BUT doesn't that beg the question of whether they will be around for ten years to honour that warranty ?
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Tell that to Apple shareholders , but in general I agree with the point you've made. Seriously, some of Mitsuibishi's products are very tired, Colt, Lancer, Outlander readily spring to mind. They're offering a ten year driveline warranty on new cars in N.Z., not sure if they're doing that in Aus ?, which is something no other manufacturer to the best of my knowledge is doing BUT doesn't that beg the question of whether they will be around for ten years to honour that warranty ?
Rodge,
I think you are forgetting just how big of a company Mitsubishi is. They made a $7.2 billion profit last year. Making cars is just a little side project for them, much the same as Hyundai.
Will they be around in 10 years? I'd say yes.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if it is illegal for slavery in the Netherlands?

If not then I think I may like to purchase so called plant for $1 euro