Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
MattSAU2XR8

Default Morgan Poll Rip Off

Has anyone else had a similar experience to this?

Last Sunday at about 9am this lady from the Morgan Poll knocked on my door and asked if I would be interested in answering some questions over half an hour or so to get a $30 gift voucher.

This seemed like a fairly reasonable rate of return for working on a Sunday so I let her come in and proceeded to answer a heap of questions about how much I earn, what products I buy, who I would and would not vote for, and so on. All this probably took closer to 45 minutes but still not unreasonable for $30.

Then came the crunches (plural):

1. There are no vouchers, just overvalued 'gifts', none of which I happen to need. Examples include 'petrol station' quality sunglasses, pedometers, backpacks, wallets, subscriptions to electronic magazines, none of which is really going to cost more than $15 at a department store or petrol station.

2. In order to claim a gift one has to additionally fill out two booklets of questions each with about 50 pages. I estimate that these would require an additional 1.5 hours to answer sensibly.

3. On posting the booklets back one is also able to 'enter a draw to win $10,000' with no mention of how many people will be in the draw. Lets assume that its 10,000 people. So this opportunity is worth about $1.00

So the bottom line is that if you spend 2 hours of your time you get a relatively useless gift worth $15 and a $1 lottery ticket.

Therefore working for $8.00 per hour.

So anyway when I worked this out I just threw the booklets in the bin and wrote it off as a bad experience. Left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth since one of the main reasons I agreed to answer the questions was to help the woman out, figuring that anyone who elects to do door to door sales or surveys is at least showing some initiative. I simply don't need the money and the woman concerned is as old as my mum :-) But next time I'll know better

MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Morgan Poll Rip Off

nothing in life is for free.....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

I got a lovely subscription to Australian National Geographic.
Yep, not worth the time or effort.
Old 29-11-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
Kryton

I did a Morgan poll years ago.
Was a couple of hundred pages, which i could do in my own time.
At the end of it, i got handed a $10 scratchy which ended up netting me $100.
I was happy with that.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

look at the big picture. your answers influence the good and services you can buy

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
betterblasters
Banned

The companies that use that information make squillions. For me its at least 200 bucks cash or why would I bother to waste my time for 3o bucks...or 8
and even then for the 200 it's pens down at the end of the hour...
betterblasters is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Thanks for the heads up

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Bridgette01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post