Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Dr Jekkyl

Default Replacement Radiator

I was embarking on replacing my rad hoses this morning and the top rad hose outlet disintegrated.

I figure that now I am going to have to replace the rad.

I am not sure what replacement rad to buy though. I run a PWR trans cooler in series with the rad but now think I will bypass the rad.

Would I now buy a rad minus the internal trans-cooler component?

Does such a product exist?

Finally, are there any brands of rad I should avoid?

Thanks again.

Dr Jekkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Replacement Radiator

I bought a ford rad when mine split. Buy a manual falcon rad that wont have the cooler inside it.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
TICK4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can just get the end tank changed over, instead of a new radiator, but a radiator shop would have to do it, and they'd rather sell you another one.
Personally i'd buy a genuine Ford one (manual, without the inbuilt cooler) like Beer Baron said.
And definitely just use the PWR cooler, as the auto radiators have a tendancy to split inside, and mix your auto fluid with coolant.
TICK4D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Got mine off Fleabay for $80 2 years ago . no problems
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_n....c0.m270.l1313

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Assuming you have the cash, get a rad shop to fit ally side tanks. Expensive, but those stupid plastic tanks'll never crumble again!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Replace the rad with a better unit from NatRad or the likes ... I went with one of their ADRAD units ... no plastic end tanks ... better internals.

I'd suggest getting a manual version as well and just bypass the transcooler lines from the rad altogether.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Dr Jekkyl

Anyone have opinions on either Repco or 'Motorcool' radiators.

My local Autopro have the motorcool ones and reckon they are rebadged Jayrad units........but my ********-o-meter went off and I thought I would come here and ask first!
Dr Jekkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

I got one on special from ADRAD....copper core and brass tanks for $180.00, helps to know people in the industry and picked up from ADRAD on cash sale. This is of course in Perth.
jcto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcto
I got one on special from ADRAD....copper core and brass tanks for $180.00, helps to know people in the industry and picked up from ADRAD on cash sale. This is of course in Perth.
I'd pay that in a flash. My ford rad cost me $220 and its plastic tanks.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

imo if the radiator is that old that the end tanks are crumbling, it`s time for a new radiator, i would`nt bother with fitting new end tanks.
i`don`t know if any of you guys think the same, , but i have a use by date in mind for these alloy cored radiators, my first one i found a pin hole so small it was`nt really leaking any noticeable amount, but had a small green deposit of dried coolant colored bird poo on the core of the radiator at about 5/6 years old,

but it was definatly on the way out,
i only found it because i was fitting an oil cooler at the time, i`m in 2 minds about getting an after market one with a copper core, i don`t think there is much cost difference between them and the factory alloy one.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
imo if the radiator is that old that the end tanks are crumbling, it`s time for a new radiator, i would`nt bother with fitting new end tanks.
i`don`t know if any of you guys think the same, , but i have a use by date in mind for these alloy cored radiators, my first one i found a pin hole so small it was`nt really leaking any noticeable amount, but had a small green deposit of dried coolant colored bird poo on the core of the radiator at about 5/6 years old,

but it was definatly on the way out,
i only found it because i was fitting an oil cooler at the time, i`m in 2 minds about getting an after market one with a copper core, i don`t think there is much cost difference between them and the factory alloy one.
The copper cored/tanked rad in my corolla lasted 41 years and the copper rad in my paj lasted 24 years. Alloy rad in AU 8 years.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good stuff, thx Beer Baron, you made up my mind for me, i`ll go the copper, for my next one, all this modern light weight alloy and plastic.... progress.....eek
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post