Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Inflatable Rear Safety Belts

A world-first in safety and comfort.

Introducing the world's first automotive production inflatable rear outboard safety belts. They're the latest evolution in safety and comfort from Ford. In the event of a frontal or side crash, the inflated belt is designed to deploy in less than the blink of an eye.

Its unique design helps distribute crash force energy across more of the occupant's torso than a traditional belt, which helps reduce the risk of injury while providing support for the head and neck. After deployment, the belt remains inflated for several seconds before dispersing its air through the pores in the air-bag.

Inflatable safety belts are compatible with child safety seats. Because inflatable belts are not as large as traditional front air-bags, they can fill at a lower pressure and at a slower rate. Ford research showed that more than 90 percent of people who tested the inflatable safety belts found them to be similar or more comfortable than a conventional belt because the belts feel padded and softer.

VIDEO LINK

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

Default Re: Inflatable Rear Safety Belts

I think thats a great thing! The one thing ive been wondering is, why has an airbag never been fitted to the back of the front seats in cars aside from the fact that the seat moves back and forth im sure that wouldnt be had to fix because people in the front still sit at different distances from the dash/steering wheel. Howabout a drop down type, like a curtain airbag from the roof in over the back seat just for that little bit of something more

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Very interesting concept with a lot of merit. I would like to see the further development of this, not only for rear passengers but front as well.

Particularly in higher speed impacts (such as 70 km/h+), a high incidence of seat belt injuries are seen on all occupants, this sort of system could reduce that and be the next logical step in crash management.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I would have loved to have that when I totalled my Focus.

You hit something, car stops hard, you fly forwards fast and hard, pre tensioners fire and rip the belt back in and your body is pushing hard on that small strip.

It hurts a fair bit and you're left with purple bruising.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I would have loved to have that when I totalled my Focus.

You hit something, car stops hard, you fly forwards fast and hard, pre tensioners fire and rip the belt back in and your body is pushing hard on that small strip.

It hurts a fair bit and you're left with purple bruising.
Perfect example, we see that injury pattern frequently and this type of device would go a long way to prevent it.

Simple physics, the higher the force the more surface area required to decrease the injury causing pressure on the occupant. As cars go faster, restraint technology must evolve as well and this seems to be a promising evolution.